Does this mean I will start working ?

new_upserMA

I worked as a seasonal helper thru Dec 24.. I said I was interested in working as a package handler in the hub and the HR person put my name on a list. Yesterday they called and asked me if I was interested in working morning shift starting 6:45am. I said yes and I was scheduled for a 'tour' Tuesday morning at 6:00am.. does that mean I will start working??

upschuck

I worked as a seasonal helper thru Dec 24.. I said I was interested in working as a package handler in the hub and the HR person put my name on a list. Yesterday they called and asked me if I was interested in working morning shift starting 6:45am. I said yes and I was scheduled for a 'tour' Tuesday morning at 6:00am.. does that mean I will start working??
No, that is the first step in the hiring process.

UPSGUY72

No. Just means that are interview people for 1 or more position open on that shift. This is that first step in the process to show people what you actually will be doing.

HardknocksUPSer

First the tour and then the wait to be called or told when you will be able to come in for your start day. If they tell you "we will call if we need you" look for another job but apply for the package handler position every time it's posted.

PT Car Washer

so what should I do so I can get in?? The driver I worked with gave good feedback.. I always met him 10 minutes early did whatever he asked
The reason UPS takes people on the tours first is to show you what will be expected of you. A lot of potential employees bail after the tour. A lot more bail after the first day.

new_upserMA

The reason UPS takes people on the tours first is to show you what will be expected of you. A lot of potential employees bail after the tour. A lot more bail after the first day.

I won't. I also heard many helpers don't last the full season, but it worked out pretty well. I let the driver I was working with know I was interested in working with UPS after the holiday season and he told me would give me a good recommendation

PT Car Washer

I won't. I also heard many helpers don't last the full season, but it worked out pretty well. I let the driver I was working with know I was interested in working with UPS after the holiday season and he told me would give me a good recommendation
Good for you. I hope you get the job because we sure could use the help. The job has a lot of potential down the road but the first couple years are pretty lean. You will need another PT or FT job on the side just to eat and live indoors.

ChrisTheBrown

Good for you. I hope you get the job because we sure could use the help. The job has a lot of potential down the road but the first couple years are pretty lean. You will need another PT or FT job on the side just to eat and live indoors.
This is very true, I'm coming up on 2 years in June, & still just getting by with another PT job..Just waiting on some retirements. Good luck to you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HardknocksUPSer

so what should I do so I can get in?? The driver I worked with gave good feedback.. I always met him 10 minutes early did whatever he asked
Just keep your head up, talk positive when you go on a tour or fill out a application, I would suggest trying everything possible, talk to the center manager and let he/she know you would like to work at the center as a package handler and ask when the next available position is expected to be, also ask if a position is open at the moment of course. Another thing that could potentially help (it helped me) is going to go talk to each PT shift sups, just stop by one day when their not busy and tell them your interested in working the shift they suprivise and ask them when they expect they will be hiring, if they don't know Deffinately expect to see applications posted next year around Christmas, try to apply ASAP. Hang in there, if there's a will there is Deffinately a way if you want it bad enough. I've also heard of a guy who would call the center asking every week for a job, he eventually got a job. Be persistent and let them know you plan on working there. On your application tell them you want to make a career out of the opportunity this job offers (if that's how you feel) just hang on, good luck bud

throwbackk

This is very true, I'm coming up on 2 years in June, & still just getting by with another PT job..Just waiting on some retirements. Good luck to you.

Sent using BrownCafe App
If these old greedy :censored2:s would retire there would be plenty of driver jobs available. Our center has 11 drivers eligible for retirement. But they still keep working.