Does this mean I will start working ?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Boomers are not retiring because Social Security can no longer be counted on. People are also living longer and it takes a great deal more money to retire at 55 or 60 if you project a longer lifespan. Also how many jobs offer a secure pension these days?
Early retirement is simply not a realistic goal for most Boomers given the longer lifespans, and the pension/ Social Security issues.

Good points, but I doubt they factor into many people's decision.

I wasn't referring to early retirement, but "normal" retirement age of 62-67. You bring up some legitimate points, but I doubt they factor into many Boomer's decisions. And I wasn't referring to early retirement, but instead normal retirement. There are a multitude of reasons Boomer's aren't retiring with civic pride topping the list. But it really doesn't matter. I just take exception to people who suggest that Millennials are the "me" generation, when the fact remains that job growth has been poor, large number of Millennials are entering the job market & the # of well paying jobs continues to decrease.

And if you were to ask the average person how much they thought a UPS driver makes per hour, what do you think the answer would be? I'd bet more people would guess closer to $15 than $30...

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I plan on retiring as soon as I know my son's college is taken care of. The more scholarships he gets, the sooner I can retire. Study hard son.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Completely OT but your new avatar is perfect. ;) (not that your old had anything wrong!)

How is what I said completely off topic? The discussion had turned to old timers not retiring when it was their turn and I simply pointed out that when I first started there were several guys who stayed beyond their retirement eligible dates but for the most part drivers today can't wait to leave on the first day that they are able to do so.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
This is a deeply personal decision but I would not put my retirement plans on hold to finance my kid's college----this is what they make student loans for.
I would rather wait a couple years (if I am physically able) and have the kid start with a clean financial slate than be saddled with a ton of debt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would rather wait a couple years (if I am physically able) and have the kid start with a clean financial slate than be saddled with a ton of debt.

I do agree that I would rather they not start their professional careers with a ton of debt but at some point you have to think of yourself and your future.

When the kids were starting college my ex and I agreed to split their freshmen years 50/50 and the subsequent years 1/3 each. My daughter followed the plan to a T and graduated with a modest $20K of student loan debt, which she has completely paid off. My son strayed from the path and Mom and Dad cut off the checkbook when he was asked not to return for his sophomore year. He took this as his wake-up call and worked hard to earn his AS, BS and MBA, all on his own dime. Yeah, his $73K of student loan debt sucks, but he landed a very good job with a solid company in the aerospace industry and will have that debt paid off in as little as 5 years.

Does it suck that he is starting his professional life with that much debt? Absolutely. Have I been tempted to do whatever I could to help reduce that debt? Absolutely but I also realize that he was given the same opportunity as his sister and he failed to take advantage of it. Also, it would be unfair to help him when she did the right thing and took care of her own business.

browner89

How is what I said completely off topic? The discussion had turned to old timers not retiring when it was their turn and I simply pointed out that when I first started there were several guys who stayed beyond their retirement eligible dates but for the most part drivers today can't wait to leave on the first day that they are able to do so.

I said "completely OT" because what I was about to say was OT, not your comment.

As in, love the Pats avatar.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
First thing to do when you start is run around the building screaming at the top of your lungs. If they think your crazy they won't mess with you.

new_upserMA

First thing to do when you start is run around the building screaming at the top of your lungs. If they think your crazy they won't mess with you.

Good points, but I doubt they factor into many people's decision.

I wasn't referring to early retirement, but "normal" retirement age of 62-67. You bring up some legitimate points, but I doubt they factor into many Boomer's decisions. And I wasn't referring to early retirement, but instead normal retirement. There are a multitude of reasons Boomer's aren't retiring with civic pride topping the list. But it really doesn't matter. I just take exception to people who suggest that Millennials are the "me" generation, when the fact remains that job growth has been poor, large number of Millennials are entering the job market & the # of well paying jobs continues to decrease.

And if you were to ask the average person how much they thought a UPS driver makes per hour, what do you think the answer would be? I'd bet more people would guess closer to $15 than $30...
Bull regarding these bleeding heart excuses for millennials. Job growth has been poor for them? What ever happened to personal responsibility may be things are different in the Boston area but the ones I have met have this extreme and pathological sense of entitlement as well as this pompous arrogance. And many would consider ups or any type of manual labor job beneath them
And for forbid they have to work to even pay a portion of tuition rather than max out credit cards and depend on handouts from mommy and daddy

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Bull regarding these bleeding heart excuses for millennials. Job growth has been poor for them? What ever happened to personal responsibility may be things are different in the Boston area but the ones I have met have this extreme and pathological sense of entitlement as well as this pompous arrogance. And many would consider ups or any type of manual labor job beneath them
And for forbid they have to work to even pay a portion of tuition rather than max out credit cards and depend on handouts from mommy and daddy

I don't know if you got the job. I have been there 13 years, I don't remember how long it took them to call me back. When I started you made 8.50 but you got benefits after either 30 days or 90 days, I can't remember. So a lot of people took the job for benefits. Now I am kind of stuck because I don't want to go driving. I have a bma, but it is hard to find a part time job making 20 bucks an hour and free benefits. So it is a good job if you plan on sticking it out. The first couple years well be rough though.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

They're not excuses; BLS statistics clearly demonstrate that real compensation is decreasing, the number of "good paying" menial jobs shrinking, and growth in skilled/professional jobs still weak.

Secondly, the nature of PT@UPS is not for everybody. In many buildings, including the one I'm working in, you are initially placed on call (re: call the building every single day to see if work is available) but need to be available every single day. Most people have bills to pay (imagine that!) and simply cannot afford to spend a year on call.

And finally, a lot of the "old timers" on here live in a world in which you can work at a local retail store and make mediocre money, move to Las Vegas and earn big bucks as a slot attendance or relocate to Detroit and earn UPS FT-type money working in an auto factory. Nor did they spend a year on-call at UPS and work PT for 10 years at near minimum wage.