Does this mean I will start working ?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
...and you can't find a job in your field...?
It isn't so much finding a job in your field is the problem. It is the fact I make almost 20 dollars an hour for 25 hours a week and get benefits. I am trying to find something to work with UPS. I like money and I know it would be stupid to quit UPS getting that. Some will say I should just go driving. However driving just isn't for me.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It isn't so much finding a job in your field is the problem. It is the fact I make almost 20 dollars an hour for 25 hours a week and get benefits. I am trying to find something to work with UPS. I like money and I know it would be stupid to quit UPS getting that. Some will say I should just go driving. However driving just isn't for me.

Why would it be stupid? A business degree should yield a starting base salary in the high-$40s to high-$50s (depending on your major & location) if you graduated with decent grades. You'll have opportunities for bonus, even as a first year employee, and your salary will continue to grow as your career matures. You'll also receive perks such as free, high quality grub and an annual Christmas party with an open bar. Sure, the benefits won't be as good, but I expect come next contract, we'll pay sharing the premium for TeamCare alongside a deductible (and UPS will no longer guarantee the dental & vision benefits) -- and it'll only go downhill from there...

new_upserMA

I didn't get a call back. I called to check the status of my application last Thursday (like the person interviewing me told me to do if I didn't hear anything by Wednesday) and was told it is still pending and that if I didn't hear by early this coming week to check back.
On Friday the one of the top business headlines on the radio was that UPS stock fell 10% on earning less than expected due to 'higher training costs' = they used too many helpers during peak - too many hours

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I didn't get a call back. I called to check the status of my application last Thursday (like the person interviewing me told me to do if I didn't hear anything by Wednesday) and was told it is still pending and that if I didn't hear by early this coming week to check back.
On Friday the one of the top business headlines on the radio was that UPS stock fell 10% on earning less than expected due to 'higher training costs' = they used too many helpers during peak - too many hours
Life goes on, there will be other openings at UPS again. Just try back then.

new_upserMA

Well I never got called back. I did well as seasonal helper. Got called for tour and then second interview a week later. Second interview they scheduled 5 people one after another. Wonder what I did wrong. I am in decent shape and understand it is very physical. When I called two weeks later the Hr person was snippy you know the way they get when you dare call to check status. This was a hub in northeastern mass

new_upserMA

Also when I said I was interested and asked if I could call at later date she said it may be long time we have a lot of people applying. So that is just a way of saying no don't call us.
Note in Massachusetts unemployment rate is 5% second to North Dakota in terms of job growth so I don't believe when anyone uses lines of hundreds of applicants applying.

PT Car Washer

Going to have to agree with you about your prospects of working at UPS. My building has continued to hire ever since Peak ended. The good news is the only thing you lost was a $10/hr PT job with no benefits. Keep looking.

new_upserMA

Yes obviously that is true. I guess I was considered 'overqualified' or too old at age 39. If you are age 19 it is the perfect job and being in that part of Mass easy to score & trade weed & oxys amongst other substances, many who live around the Lowell area know what I am talking about. Just surprised because I did get a good recommendation from the driver I worked with for the entire peak season...

PT Car Washer

Yes obviously that is true. I guess I was considered 'overqualified' or too old at age 39. If you are age 19 it is the perfect job and being in that part of Mass easy to score & trade weed & oxys amongst other substances, many who live around the Lowell area know what I am talking about. Just surprised because I did get a good recommendation from the driver I worked with for the entire peak season...
They say age discrimination is illegal but we all know it happens everyday. Just your age makes you overqualified for the job. UPS wants the young and dumb so when they grow up and see how the game is played they will just quit and go somewhere else.

UPSGUY72

Your not "overqualified" you need to understand that UPS interviews and give tours to more people than slots open or expected to open. That being said if they filled the slots before they got to your name on the list you don't get hired or even a call. It has nothing to do with your ability or anything else. Also volume drops off a this time of year and not a lot of people are on vacation so hey don't usually hire to any new people.

Go to UPSjobs.com and reapply when it will let you. I had to apply twice before I got hired.

new_upserMA

They say age discrimination is illegal but we all know it happens everyday. Just your age makes you overqualified for the job. UPS wants the young and dumb so when they grow up and see how the game is played they will just quit and go somewhere else.

I agree, in this day & age employers are tripping over themselves to hire millennials because they are 'enthusiastic' (sp) and fun to be around and are good with technology because they can send selfies and multitask with facebook while placing packages on the correct belt. The reply above about UPS 'filling' the slots before they got to my name or nothing being available' is what I like to call some lame cutsey excuse. Obviously I was too educated (I actually have a BA degree, I may have just been taking this job as supplemental income) or maybe dressed too professionally with nice jeans not halfway down my arse and a nice sweater and workboots from Nordstrom Rack

UPSGUY72 is from the Berkshires where people are probably not as direct as those in Boston or from NYC (too worried about 'offending' so they give fluffy & PC answers). Massachusetts west of I-91 seems like a different part of the country.

People are so PC these days because they don't want to 'offend' even on the internet.

Why would they have tours and interview people if there weren't such positions open?? That is illogicial.
And in Massachusetts the UE rate is 5.0% so where are all these hoards of people coming from??

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I agree, in this day & age employers are tripping over themselves to hire millennials because they are 'enthusiastic' (sp) and fun to be around and are good with technology because they can send selfies and multitask with facebook while placing packages on the correct belt. The reply above about UPS 'filling' the slots before they got to my name or nothing being available' is what I like to call some lame cutsey excuse. Obviously I was too educated (I actually have a BA degree, I may have just been taking this job as supplemental income) or maybe dressed too professionally with nice jeans not halfway down my arse and a nice sweater and workboots from Nordstrom Rack

UPSGUY72 is from the Berkshires where people are probably not as direct as those in Boston or from NYC (too worried about 'offending' so they give fluffy & PC answers). Massachusetts west of I-91 seems like a different part of the country.

People are so PC these days because they don't want to 'offend' even on the internet.

Why would they have tours and interview people if there weren't such positions open?? That is illogicial.
And in Massachusetts the UE rate is 5.0% so where are all these hoards of people coming from??

Wait just a minute! I mean no disrespect, but upsguy72 is probably one of the least PC people on this forum.

Agree with him or not, he speaks just what he thinks.