Does this mean I will start working ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yes obviously that is true. I guess I was considered 'overqualified' or too old at age 39. If you are age 19 it is the perfect job and being in that part of Mass easy to score & trade weed & oxys amongst other substances, many who live around the Lowell area know what I am talking about. Just surprised because I did get a good recommendation from the driver I worked with for the entire peak season...

Sorry looks like your gonna have to keep slingin weed to get by

new_upserMA

Wait just a minute! I mean no disrespect, but upsguy72 is probably one of the least PC people on this forum.

Agree with him or not, he speaks just what he thinks.

Is he from the Berkshires?? That part of Mass and Eastern Mass (east of I 495) is completely different and his answer was just doubletalk. The PT car washer gave the correct answer and the 'real reason'

PT Car Washer

I am probably in better shape than many 15 years my junior and I don't drink or shoot black tar -- those in the Lowell area of MA know what I am talking about
You most likely are a much better prospective employee then a lot of teens just looking to make a few bucks. But I believe UPS uses a profile to screen out those who may want to make a career out of the job. Especially at 39 years of age. Too much of a liability.

new_upserMA

Sorry looks like your gonna have to keep slingin weed to get by

Uh no, I don't do that. Ironically I was approached in a Walmart parking lot in Lowell someone trying to sell the black tar.I don't think weed is that profitable anymore since it is all but legal now in NY & Massachusetts.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
UPSGUY72 is from the Berkshires where people are probably not as direct as those in Boston or from NYC (too worried about 'offending' so they give fluffy & PC answers). Massachusetts west of I-91 seems like a different part of the country.
I will have to remember that one when everyone I talk to thinks I'm a dhead or dbag. I'll be like, "That was me being nice, do you want me to call my boys from Lowell and Charlestown to speak with you?" 413 baby!

Don't beat yourself up about UPS, the turnover is frequent in PT and the job sucks. If you just reapply like everyone said, you will get the call if you really want to work here.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Uh no, I don't do that. Ironically I was approached in a Walmart parking lot in Lowell someone trying to sell the black tar.I don't think weed is that profitable anymore since it is all but legal now in NY & Massachusetts.

Maybe you should try grand theft auto. That was big business in Lowell back in the 80's.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Is he from the Berkshires?? That part of Mass and Eastern Mass (east of I 495) is completely different and his answer was just doubletalk. The PT car washer gave the correct answer and the 'real reason'

Guys from the Berkshires are prima donnas!

J/K I love my Pittsfield, Deerfield, and Greenfield brothers!

Insaneasylum

I would rather wait a couple years (if I am physically able) and have the kid start with a clean financial slate than be saddled with a ton of debt.

Question, how bad would it piss you off though after paying for college your kid became a driver also. Was it a waste of money or worth the investment if they never work in that field?

new_upserMA

You most likely are a much better prospective employee then a lot of teens just looking to make a few bucks. But I believe UPS uses a profile to screen out those who may want to make a career out of the job. Especially at 39 years of age. Too much of a liability.
I will have to remember that one when everyone I talk to thinks I'm a dhead or dbag. I'll be like, "That was me being nice, do you want me to call my boys from Lowell and Charlestown to speak with you?" 413 baby!

Don't beat yourself up about UPS, the turnover is frequent in PT and the job sucks. If you just reapply like everyone said, you will get the call if you really want to work here.

Why would I reapply??? The system has probably blacklisted me or coded with me a 'no' for an automatic reject should I apply again..
Do you really believe when you get one of those rejection emails that say --- check out our website for any 'future opportunities' you may be interested in...
They rejected me once (for the real reason probably because of age and because I don't have that alpha male blue collar demeanor like you see in southie (pre gentrification), Brockton, or Lowell)...

new_upserMA

Your not "overqualified" you need to understand that UPS interviews and give tours to more people than slots open or expected to open. That being said if they filled the slots before they got to your name on the list you don't get hired or even a call. It has nothing to do with your ability or anything else. Also volume drops off a this time of year and not a lot of people are on vacation so hey don't usually hire to any new people.

Go to UPSjobs.com and reapply when it will let you. I had to apply twice before I got hired.

LOL, HR uses software with built in parameters and algorithms.. Applying once and getting rejected, what is the chance that the system will allow the application to proceed a second time to any result other than 'thank you for your interest'.. If you get rejected once it is for a reason (this is for any job).. People believe when they are told neutral reasons such as (position put on hold, they are not hiring, they hired or promoted someone internally), those reasons are stated (like some stated here on this board) because people don't like to offend and say the 'real reason' again because of being too worried about 'offending or hurting ones feelings'. Also, with 5% unemployment there cannot be hoards of people applying

new_upserMA

There's a lot to like about Lowell.

I actually live in Concord MA which I can assure you is a much better town than Lowell where you have a high probability of either getting shot, mugged or assaulted any time of the day or getting hit by a driver out after OUI #4 or 5

There is a reason why the rents in cities like Lowell and Haverill are so cheap (you can rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Lowell for only around $1800 for example but there is a reason certain towns (think Lowell, Haverill & Lynn) are so cheap compared to say Andover, Concord, Bedford & Carlisle

new_upserMA

Where I am at you could buy a McMansion for $1800 a month. And not worry about locking the doors at night.

Where is this??? Upstate NY maybe 50 miles west of Albany where the cost of living is still somewhat reasonable?? The under $2,000 a month rental apartment in most towns in Eastern MA (east of I 495) has gone the way of the 10 cent parking meter in NYC (where at one time you got 30 minutes for that dime).. I checked out areas further west around Worcester nothing special like Shrewsbury & Auburn and you are looking at $2,500 a month with no utilities included..
One thing I noticed is that most of the cars parked in the lot at UPS did not look like they were 10 year old beaters, many late model SUV's, BMWs... Insurance in that area isn't exactly cheap either and salt + potholes really ruin the suspension and require alignments every 3,000 miles when you get oil changed

UPSGUY72

LOL, HR uses software with built in parameters and algorithms.. Applying once and getting rejected, what is the chance that the system will allow the application to proceed a second time to any result other than 'thank you for your interest'.. If you get rejected once it is for a reason (this is for any job).. People believe when they are told neutral reasons such as (position put on hold, they are not hiring, they hired or promoted someone internally), those reasons are stated (like some stated here on this board) because people don't like to offend and say the 'real reason' again because of being too worried about 'offending or hurting ones feelings'. Also, with 5% unemployment there cannot be hoards of people applying

Like I said I had to apply twice and and other have to if not three times. But since you know everything and have all the answers why are you on BC asking us ??????

The unemployment rate may be 5% but a lot of those people are working PT low paying no benefit, no real advancement jobs. But since you know everything you already knew that so me telling you that is water under the bridge.

It seems you ask for advice but when giving it don't wan to take it ?

new_upserMA

Like I said I had to apply twice and and other have to if not three times. But since you know everything and have all the answers why are you on BC asking us ??????

The unemployment rate may be 5% but a lot of those people are working PT low paying no benefit, no real advancement jobs. But since you know everything you already knew that so me telling you that is water under the bridge.

It seems you ask for advice but when giving it don't wan to take it ?

Also, the HR person told me once you have worked at one location, you can ONLY apply to positions at that location/hub.. I am working now on a contract position with Pepsi in Valhalla NY (staying with family in NYC) paying $27 an hour - still have to pay rent on my place in Concord for the six months of this contract but just wanted to share my experiences. BTW, the greater Boston area will never ever be as good as the NYC metro region....

One good thing is that I can keep my Massachusetts residence and stay with Mass health so I am not paying anything for health insurance

where did you hear 'part time'/low wage no benefit jobs?? I read over 1 million jobs created in three months and the majority of positions created in 2014 are full time..

PT Car Washer

Where is this??? Upstate NY maybe 50 miles west of Albany where the cost of living is still somewhat reasonable?? The under $2,000 a month rental apartment in most towns in Eastern MA (east of I 495) has gone the way of the 10 cent parking meter in NYC (where at one time you got 30 minutes for that dime).. I checked out areas further west around Worcester nothing special like Shrewsbury & Auburn and you are looking at $2,500 a month with no utilities included..
One thing I noticed is that most of the cars parked in the lot at UPS did not look like they were 10 year old beaters, many late model SUV's, BMWs... Insurance in that area isn't exactly cheap either and salt + potholes really ruin the suspension and require alignments every 3,000 miles when you get oil changed
The midwest.