Does This Sound Like Anyone You Know?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I started with Federal Express in the early 80s, which I guess would make me one of those who evidently "got theirs and to hell with the rest" - yet strangely enough I have probably been the most vocal one at my location about the turn this company has taken, trying to get those (many of whom weren't yet even born when I started) to see the sh it sandwiches that are being foisted upon us daily, yet so many refuse to see. I just don't get it.

As a senior employee I too have watched my pension get capped and frozen. I've watched my raises not keep up with inflation. I've seen my healthcare get lousier and lousier while costing me more and more. I've seen my jumpseat privileges go by the wayside too...and on and on it goes. I have no doubt that I'm better off than most of the newer folks in the company, but we old-timers haven't escaped the wrath of King Fredward either.

At least many of those who are at or near the bottom of the pole are young enough to break free from this hole and pursue something else. Too many of us old timers are just that - too old at this point to start all over again. We've already busted up our bodies for this place way back in the day when we thought we had a good relationship with the King. There's really not a whole lot left for us to do at this point but to hang on to the floating wreckage and ride it out. So don't be hating on the old timers. As vantexan pointed out - we are not the enemy here.

MAKAVELI

I started with Federal Express in the early 80s, which I guess would make me one of those who evidently "got theirs and to hell with the rest" - yet strangely enough I have probably been the most vocal one at my location about the turn this company has taken, trying to get those (many of whom weren't yet even born when I started) to see the sh it sandwiches that are being foisted upon us daily, yet so many refuse to see. I just don't get it.

As a senior employee I too have watched my pension get capped and frozen. I've watched my raises not keep up with inflation. I've seen my healthcare get lousier and lousier while costing me more and more. I've seen my jumpseat privileges go by the wayside too...and on and on it goes. I have no doubt that I'm better off than most of the newer folks in the company, but we old-timers haven't escaped the wrath of King Fredward either.

At least many of those who are at or near the bottom of the pole are young enough to break free from this hole and pursue something else. Too many of us old timers are just that - too old at this point to start all over again. We've already busted up our bodies for this place way back in the day when we thought we had a good relationship with the King. There's really not a whole lot left for us to do at this point but to hang on to the floating wreckage and ride it out. So don't be hating on the old timers. As vantexan pointed out - we are not the enemy here.
No, you are not the enemy. But the majority of old timers, at least at my station, do not have the same outlook as you. It truly is, I'm topped out, got my pension, shouldn't have to work as hard as the new and mid- range, so friend you. Or the passive aggressive way of putting it, " it is what it is".

newgirl

You obviously live in a different reality than I do. Should I give you the red pill? Do you tell your wife, I know you work harder than me for less money but it is what it is? 13 more years? Shi t you'll be lucky to be working part time here in 3 years. Don't you see the writing on the wall? Or is it all purple to you?

Just catching up on this thread but that made me LOL. Now back to reading about how I suck cause I've been here a while

bbsam

Staff member

So maybe Fedex sucks. Where do you think these younger couriers are going to go? If there were millions of jobs offering $30/hr. plus a defined pension and benefits, they'd hit the door tomorrow. It may be that Express is better than most other options for alot of people, especially if they don't know first hand "how it used to be".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So maybe Fedex sucks. Where do you think these younger couriers are going to go? If there were millions of jobs offering $30/hr. plus a defined pension and benefits, they'd hit the door tomorrow. It may be that Express is better than most other options for alot of people, especially if they don't know first hand "how it used to be".

Around $15 per hour with marginal benefits is hardly a good deal. Eventually, Fred will have the same quality of people as Ground.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I agree with that, Sam. It still sucks out there. I have a college grad who still lives at home. I'm just saying the younger ones at least have a much better shot at something better than us old broken down horses have. (I can just see myself walking into UPS) We truly do pretty much have our backs up against a wall now. We screwed up because we believed and trusted. I take full responsibility for my naivete

I am sorry that the newer folks will never top out...never even get close to where I am (which still pales to UPS), but I don't have a "I've got mine and to hell with the rest" attitude. I don't know in what way I'm supposed to stick my neck out any further for the newer guys. I do my job (wad) without sloffing work on to anyone else and that's it.

It seems we keep breaking ourselves down into smaller and smaller factions now. Express points fingers at Ground, Ground points fingers at Express, now we have the young-timers vs. the old-timers. I wonder what comes next - Southern District Disgruntled vs. North Eastern?

dezguy

No, you are not the enemy. But the majority of old timers, at least at my station, do not have the same outlook as you. It truly is, I'm topped out, got my pension, shouldn't have to work as hard as the new and mid- range, so friend you. Or the passive aggressive way of putting it, " it is what it is".

This.

Our station had the opportunity to unionize three years ago but it was shot down mainly because of all the old timers who just didn't care. They've been dealing with this crap their whole career and don't care about us guys who still have a ways to go because of their mentality that they went through it, why shouldn't we (even though most of them have seen the good days of working at Express)? I have over ten years invested working for this place and all I want is a chance at a decent living without having stuff taken away on a yearly basis. We could have changed that, unfortunately there are more old timers than guys like me at my station and in the end, they decide what is best for everyone.

Maybe we can try again in 10 years when all the old blood is drained from our station but until then, I get screwed because the older guys decided they want to be petty.

vantexan

My wife's daughter is 20, an assistant mgr at a sandwich shop chain. Her mgr makes $35k a year and she is about to get her own store to manage. She plans to work around her schedule to get a degree. She's a hard worker and will most likely go places. She has an upbeat attitude and demonstrates that often in life you get out of it what you put into it. In this new business world it seems only those who that take on more and more responsibility or have technical expertise will be rewarded. Gone are the days of being rewarded for doing a job well as technology has dumbed down the part workers play in too many fields. And companies like FedEx not only don't want to reward your efforts and faithful service, but want to reduce the amount of compensation because they have turned the job into one just about anyone can do. In the future a FedEx courier job will either be for those who need a part-time job, or for those who have no aspirations to better things. Only those who are willing to give most of their waking hours to the company and take on added responsibility will truly get ahead. A kid today has to have that mindset instilled in them if they don't have the wherewithal to create their own business or get into a profession.

vantexan

This.

Our station had the opportunity to unionize three years ago but it was shot down mainly because of all the old timers who just didn't care. They've been dealing with this crap their whole career and don't care about us guys who still have a ways to go because of their mentality that they went through it, why shouldn't we (even though most of them have seen the good days of working at Express)? I have over ten years invested working for this place and all I want is a chance at a decent living without having stuff taken away on a yearly basis. We could have changed that, unfortunately there are more old timers than guys like me at my station and in the end, they decide what is best for everyone.

Maybe we can try again in 10 years when all the old blood is drained from our station but until then, I get screwed because the older guys decided they want to be petty.

Sorry, but your station didn't have the chance to unionize because Express is under the Railroad Labor Act. The RLA doesn't allow station by station voting, there has to be a national vote. If the Democrat controlled Congress and Presidency had chosen to vote for allowing us to organize locally under the National Labor Relations Act before the Republicans took control of the Hose in January of 2011 then most like the majority of stations in the U.S. would be unionized by now.

dezguy

Sorry, but your station didn't have the chance to unionize because Express is under the Railroad Labor Act. The RLA doesn't allow station by station voting, there has to be a national vote. If the Democrat controlled Congress and Presidency had chosen to vote for allowing us to organize locally under the National Labor Relations Act before the Republicans took control of the Hose in January of 2011 then most like the majority of stations in the U.S. would be unionized by now.

Not in Canada, they aren't. ;)

bbsam

Staff member
Around $15 per hour with marginal benefits is hardly a good deal. Eventually, Fred will have the same quality of people as Ground.

I have never said it was a good deal but there are mu h worse deals to be had. What are the better choices for the newer couriers?

MAKAVELI

This.

Then why don't the republicans put a bill together and change it?

Sniper

Too many of us old timers are just that - too old at this point to start all over again. We've already busted up our bodies for this place way back in the day when we thought we had a good relationship with the King. There's really not a whole lot left for us to do at this point

My thoughts exactly. That is where I am 49 years old, where can I go? This is an economically depressed area. Finding a job starting out at even $10.00 an hour would be a challenge. I did not mean to sound uncaring at all. I do care for the future of my company and my fellow employees. I will help anyone at the station or FedEx for that matter. We all are in this together from the time we leave the station, until the last truck comes off the road.

I was alluding to the "reality" of there isn't much out there in the jobs market much less a "career" with decent vacation and health care.

MAKAVELI

Too many of us old timers are just that - too old at this point to start all over again. We've already busted up our bodies for this place way back in the day when we thought we had a good relationship with the King. There's really not a whole lot left for us to do at this point

My thoughts exactly. That is where I am 49 years old, where can I go? This is an economically depressed area. Finding a job starting out at even $10.00 an hour would be a challenge. I did not mean to sound uncaring at all. I do care for the future of my company and my fellow employees. I will help anyone at the station or FedEx for that matter. We all are in this together from the time we leave the station, until the last truck comes off the road.

I was alluding to the "reality" of there isn't much out there in the jobs market much less a "career" with decent vacation and health care.
you call the garbage we are getting next year decent health care? Look at the UPS plan and then tell us that.

Sniper

No it's not the UPS health care plan but more coverage than most entry level jobs in this area. I hope the employer mandate will make that situation better but I have my reservations. Our plan is costing us more and we are getting less. Most jobs I see in the local paper don't even provide health care. This is a economically depressed area of the country. Any job is a good one right now.

dezguy

No it's not the UPS health care plan but more coverage than most entry level jobs in this area. I hope the employer mandate will make that situation better but I have my reservations. Our plan is costing us more and we are getting less. Most jobs I see in the local paper don't even provide health care. This is a economically depressed area of the country. Any job is a good one right now.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, minus the age issue but I don't think the mentality that you should accept what FedEx gives you because the area you work in is depressed is the right one. It's that kind of thinking that allows FedEx to get away with continually taking from its employees and expecting more.

This company, despite what it tells us, makes money, a lot of money. A lot of that is thanks to the work that we do as couriers. Without it's front line employee's, FedEx doesn't make money.

vantexan

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, minus the age issue but I don't think the mentality that you should accept what FedEx gives you because the area you work in is depressed is the right one. It's that kind of thinking that allows FedEx to get away with continually taking from its employees and expecting more.

This company, despite what it tells us, makes money, a lot of money. A lot of that is thanks to the work that we do as couriers. Without it's front line employee's, FedEx doesn't make money.

But unfortunately for employees they have greatly simplified the job and if they improve Digital Roads then it will be very easy to replace employees who quit or try to unionize(if ever they are allowed to). This gives them alot of leverage and employees very little. I'm not defending it, just talking about the reality. If FedEx needed highly skilled labor to do the job they'd have to compete with other industries that pay better. They don't, and seem content with hiring anyone these days.

Sniper

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, minus the age issue but I don't think the mentality that you should accept what FedEx gives you because the area you work in is depressed is the right one.

I agree with all of your statements. I can not buy time. As you get older this will become crystal clear. I still feel like I am 19, but I ain't. You can, buy "time" adding the "age issue" :wink2:. We are in the same boat. We all work at FedEx. All I want to do is to "buy time" with my grandchildren.

It is what is is........ Not an "attitude attached" statement, but my reality. Attitude is everything. I am "stuck" here so I try my level best to make each and every day a good day for me, my customers and co-workers. I do love my job most days but it could be a tad better. I have great customers, good co-workers and better than average managers. I get to drive in a National Park every day. I get "drafted". I have to make sure the outbound makes it out, and stay out about 45% of the time. The hour break is killing us in the extended areas... :fishbashsmile:

In your second point I agree 100%. I don't have to accept what FedEx "gives me". I earn it every day just like each one of us do. I can't "go" to another company given my age. Even if I could I would lose, again .."it is what it is". I can't demand more because that ship sailed in Jan 2011. I held my nose and voted for McLame. (I know MrFedEx likes this admission). lol... President Obama won the victory and I knew I was beaten.

Beaten yet knowing I would at least get a VOTE.

It DID NOT happen. It could have, everyone expected it was a done deal. I knew it was going to be passed. Managers were going to MEM for training, other managers were ready to go back to driving.

I KNOW that was W. Bush's fault...lol...satire... political reality. It is what it is.

So here we are all these years later and I do love my job, most days.

The "courier" is the beginning and the end of the package life. It is what it is. I will see you all in the morning because I work for FedEx.