Does U P S really care about UPS FRIEGHT

Momo

UPS certianly cares about UPGF! Any corporation that pays over a billion dollars for anything is going to care about it! I'll be the first to say that I would like to see more change, and more quickly, but I do understand that you can't turn a large ship on a dime. I also think that middle management needs to have a more hands on approach to things as well; versus sitting cloistered in their offices. Albeit, that is a choice that senior management is going to have to empower them to make. Email has become the bane of modern business. :knockedout:

If you think ups will be saving money by overnite going union you are absolutely high man..stop for a second and think about it. If you add up all of your benefit package and measure it with a yellow, or abf driver, Im positive that the union drivers have a much better pay package than you. If you want to compare it to a ups package car or feeder driver, well its MUCH more than a ups freight driver. Not really sure what your trying to say. As far as Im concern ups freight is an absolute sore eye to ups' rep. just read my last post in this section about what happen to one of my good accounts that tried ups freight, and no it wasnt an issue about time in transit or damage...but one of a absolute unprofessional freight driver. Sorry to have to say it.

This has happened more than once, I am a road driver for UPS freight, Package salesmem have been trying to bundle the freight service with the package accounts.

Were an old fashioned company that uses all paper bills the most up to date equiptment we have are nextels. Why would UPS put us in these uniforms, and repaint our trucks and trailers, when were not close to UPS standards? We damage more freight then we deliver intact.

If the decison was mine I would get the dockworkers up to speed before I put my name on the trucks and uniforms.

B

Brett B.

Ive been at overnite for20 years and a lot of you on these sites are displaying your ignorance levels.its not about us -them those guys you guys ,its about people who work for a living and want the best for their families. its not about beards or uniformes or how bad ups cut back our trucks. Its about how ups thru us under the bus, we were bought because we were a great co. and our retirement was overfunded and ups knew teamsters needed overnite to survive and ups wanted control of thier pension plan and to get it they bought us and told teamsters they would hand overnite guys to teamsters on a silver platter . with the stupid rule changes the loss of our safety check and the new treatment as a ups co. but not accepted as so. ups told teamsters here is the agreed money for our pension and we will make so many bad changes for the overnite guys they will have no choice but to run into your corrupt arms except the most ridiculess contract and ups and teamsters have pulled off the deal of the century at our expense.So ups employees find out the facts before you talk too much some of you know others are as smart as a sack of monkey crap because you have no reason to look beyond your own noses .I remember kids in elementary school who acted like that , did you ever graduate or are you one who stuck in your own ego trip wake up look at the whole picture .I cant walk on water do you think you can . Brett B just not happy with a co. who cant be honest .

B

Brett.B

Yeah, ups should have passed on overnite and picked up yellow/reddaway, a much more professional, profitable company. The folks that I have run across on my route are absolutely trash...and I dont take this word lightly. A couple of my accounts started to try ups freight, based on the YEARS OF GREAT SERVICE THAT I HAVE GIVEN THEM ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS. THE FIRST DAY THEY CAME IN THE DRIVER MADE A BIG STINK ABOUT A PALLET. I HAD JUST WALKED IN TO PICK THEM UP AND ALMOST CALLED THE SALES REP FOR THAT ACCOUNT TO BITCH.ABSOLUTELY UNPROFESSIONAL. WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT THEY DONT USE UPS FREIGHT ANYMORE. This is the kind of crap that is happening all over the place. And the driver who says that ups package drivers are lazy....shut the * *...you wouldnt last 1 day on many of the routes my center dispatches. It doesnt take a motivated freight driver to drop off 10 stops a day. You guys are just like the ups store owners, think that your going to come under the ups family of companies and automatically get everything you want, double digit raise, etc, etc, sorry to bust your bubble. the motor cargo guys probably said the same thing when overnite bought them. By the way, just a news flash....try being a little more professional to my customers, and maybe a haircut and a trim on that trashy beard might help a little two. Some of you ragtags can at least try to "look the part", even if you cant step up and play the part. Oh by the way, ups has been stealing volume from ltl freight companies for years, they probably know more about freight than you realize. You guys are not in the same league as us, especially with regards from OUR customers....sorry jack, its true.

wrenny

Take it from someone who knows... UPS cares about UPS FREIGHT. In 10 years time, you will ALL be absorbed into the full culture of UPS... it just takes time.
When Fed Ex absorbed RPS into Fed Ex Ground... do you hear about RPS employees anymore?... I don't think so!! Whoever is left has been assimilated into the culture so much, no one talks about the, "good old days anymore". Because as far as everyone is concerned, only today matters. You need to get the past out of your heads and move on with the times. UPS is taking it slow with you guys for a reason... it's a well thought out plan. Need some more help?... Flying Tigers, RPS, etc. They don't exist anymore, right? So there's no going back. The past is the past. If you don't like it, find something better.
Fed Ex learned from UPS. When you take over, do it slowly, have a plan, assimilate those that can be assimilated and COST CONTROL!!!
The reason why you lost your company is not that it was doing so well. You lost your company because they couldn't make any more money, and decided to sell and go out on top. You guys turned into UPS FREIGHT because you had no other option!!!! You would have gone under eventually if it were not for UPS, and your board of directors KNEW THIS!! ALL START UP COMPANIES REACH A POINT WHERE THEY CAN"T MAKE ANY MORE MONEY AND HAVE TO LET THE PROS TAKE OVER. (In other industries, it usually occurs after the IPO).
Listen, and listen hard!!!... Any maroon can make a bundle of money and keep it for a while. BUT VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY few companies can start up and keep making the money they are making. Entrepreneurs are excellent at starting up companies and making crap loads of money - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to over charge the customer, when you need more money, or to saturate the market with sales numbers.
But there comes a point in time where the customer WANTS A BETTER PRICE AND SHARE HOLDERS WANT A BIGGER RETURN ON THEIR MONEY... and this is why your COMPANY FAILED and decided to sell to UPS, BEFORE the bubble burst. Only cost control makes companies sustainable over decades of good times and bad times.
UPS is great at cutting costs. Yeah, they liked the over-funded pension. And yes, UPS is into cost control measures that you guys have never even seen, yet. It's not enough to make money any more in the transportation business, in order to survive, you have to be able to control costs over the long haul, and your board knew the cash cow could not go on for long.
If you want to make money, go to a Mom and Pop operation. You'll make a lot more money, but one day you may come in to find it closed and they still owe you two weeks pay that you will never see. It's a gamble either way. But with UPS you may not get the Banging Bucks anymore, but you trade it in for long term stability -but at a price. At a price the customer can afford, the stock holder can afford and hopefully one that employees can live off of. Your Pension plan may not have been sustainable. Even though it may not be as much now, it's probably going to be brought back into a sustainable pay out level. What good is a butt kicking Pension that goes bust in 30 years - just before you retire. Or one that goes under 1/2 way into your retirement? Yeah, UPS is going to shave that Puppy down!!... But at least it'll be there when you need it. (Look at when UPS cut out the Thrift Plan. It was getting 13% interest when they shut it down -it use to get 23%. But they reeled it in before it was unsustainable. It seemed underhanded at the time, and pissed me off when they, "Discontinued it". But they made the hard call. Would it have been better for them to keep it and lose my money? Mmmmm...).

helloitsme

Take it from someone who knows... UPS cares about UPS FREIGHT. In 10 years time, you will ALL be absorbed into the full culture of UPS... it just takes time.
When Fed Ex absorbed RPS into Fed Ex Ground... do you hear about RPS employees anymore?... I don't think so!! Whoever is left has been assimilated into the culture so much, no one talks about the, "good old days anymore". Because as far as everyone is concerned, only today matters. You need to get the past out of your heads and move on with the times. UPS is taking it slow with you guys for a reason... it's a well thought out plan. Need some more help?... Flying Tigers, RPS, etc. They don't exist anymore, right? So there's no going back. The past is the past. If you don't like it, find something better.
Fed Ex learned from UPS. When you take over, do it slowly, have a plan, assimilate those that can be assimilated and COST CONTROL!!!
The reason why you lost your company is not that it was doing so well. You lost your company because they couldn't make any more money, and decided to sell and go out on top. You guys turned into UPS FREIGHT because you had no other option!!!! You would have gone under eventually if it were not for UPS, and your board of directors KNEW THIS!! ALL START UP COMPANIES REACH A POINT WHERE THEY CAN"T MAKE ANY MORE MONEY AND HAVE TO LET THE PROS TAKE OVER. (In other industries, it usually occurs after the IPO).
Listen, and listen hard!!!... Any maroon can make a bundle of money and keep it for a while. BUT VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY few companies can start up and keep making the money they are making. Entrepreneurs are excellent at starting up companies and making crap loads of money - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to over charge the customer, when you need more money, or to saturate the market with sales numbers.
But there comes a point in time where the customer WANTS A BETTER PRICE AND SHARE HOLDERS WANT A BIGGER RETURN ON THEIR MONEY... and this is why your COMPANY FAILED and decided to sell to UPS, BEFORE the bubble burst. Only cost control makes companies sustainable over decades of good times and bad times.
UPS is great at cutting costs. Yeah, they liked the over-funded pension. And yes, UPS is into cost control measures that you guys have never even seen, yet. It's not enough to make money any more in the transportation business, in order to survive, you have to be able to control costs over the long haul, and your board knew the cash cow could not go on for long.
If you want to make money, go to a Mom and Pop operation. You'll make a lot more money, but one day you may come in to find it closed and they still owe you two weeks pay that you will never see. It's a gamble either way. But with UPS you may not get the Banging Bucks anymore, but you trade it in for long term stability -but at a price. At a price the customer can afford, the stock holder can afford and hopefully one that employees can live off of. Your Pension plan may not have been sustainable. Even though it may not be as much now, it's probably going to be brought back into a sustainable pay out level. What good is a butt kicking Pension that goes bust in 30 years - just before you retire. Or one that goes under 1/2 way into your retirement? Yeah, UPS is going to shave that Puppy down!!... But at least it'll be there when you need it. (Look at when UPS cut out the Thrift Plan. It was getting 13% interest when they shut it down -it use to get 23%. But they reeled it in before it was unsustainable. It seemed underhanded at the time, and pissed me off when they, "Discontinued it". But they made the hard call. Would it have been better for them to keep it and lose my money? Mmmmm...).

The Plan to sell Overnite was thought up a long long time ago. As far as O being a startup...Overnite has been in business since 1935...Job security...well not unless thier is stronger contract language against them subcontracting as much as they do. Just food for thought.

O

old ovtr now upser

WOW !!! first time I got on to this brown cafe
thanks to the "REG. UPS GUYS for all of your loyal support for us guys at upgf
sounds like we made the choice of being the buddyd child,,,sorry most of us didnt have that choice so it would be nice to see maybe A LITTLE support for us ups beginners and not jump our :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: all the time about we dont know what we are doing ,,not all drivers and areas are the same,,,,,change is good but worse when the children of the ma hen peck ya to death
give it some time and give us a little encouragement then we could grow up to be just like you guys,,,,,,,,REALLY REALLY HAPPY !!!!!!

wrenny

I didn't mean to say that O was directly a start up. They just had that start up mentality... say like CD&L. They're great money makers. But now a days that can only get you so far. Most companies usually do an IPO and get bought by leaner machines. Very few businesses now are large in size and stay in the original hands. Most companies can't hold that transition from start up - be it 1935 or 1900, etc. There are rare companies that do it -learn to adapt and become cost conscious.
Wal-Mart is not the same mentality as when it started... the employees can tell you their strategy changed from the time they started up. They adapted. Coca Cola -I'm not sure if it changed hands. Johnson and Johnson. K-mart. Companies either learn to cut costs in their history, or go the way of the dinosaur. CD&L ex-employees are now starting from scratch with a brand new company. They didn't like the take over from VEXP. They left and started over.

ovntupsgf

ovntupsgf
you hit it right on the head, most overniters find it hard to face changes in life, but i think this will be a great thing just give it some time.

feeder53

ADKtrails
UPS would not purchase an entity and then just let it fade away. I am sure they have a master plan and a plan "B" just in case. It is hard to see the big picture from were we stand, but theirs is clear and concise.

bigs

I can GUARANTEE that UPS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT UPS FREIGHT OR IT'S EMPLOYEES!!!!
3 days ago I was told I had 2 more nights to drive for UPS as I was being laid off. I was hired to drive nights 8 months ago (left a job of 18 years for UPS) with a verbal promise that I would be working days within 3-4 months. As 5 months came and went with no day shift in sight I decided to apply and I accepted another job. UPS was notified and I was begged by my terminal manager, operations manager and terminal supervisor to please stay and again I was promised a great life at UPS, so unfortuneatly I agreed to stay. Now, just 6 weeks later I have no job, no health ins. for my family, no GREAT life at UPS. I feel lied to and used.
250 other people on the West Coast were also treated this same way this week. All of our jobs were outsourced to a contract carrier.
THANKS UPS.......................I really appreciate the great treatment.

helloitsme

I can GUARANTEE that UPS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT UPS FREIGHT OR IT'S EMPLOYEES!!!!
3 days ago I was told I had 2 more nights to drive for UPS as I was being laid off. I was hired to drive nights 8 months ago (left a job of 18 years for UPS) with a verbal promise that I would be working days within 3-4 months. As 5 months came and went with no day shift in sight I decided to apply and I accepted another job. UPS was notified and I was begged by my terminal manager, operations manager and terminal supervisor to please stay and again I was promised a great life at UPS, so unfortuneatly I agreed to stay. Now, just 6 weeks later I have no job, no health ins. for my family, no GREAT life at UPS. I feel lied to and used.
250 other people on the West Coast were also treated this same way this week. All of our jobs were outsourced to a contract carrier.
THANKS UPS.......................I really appreciate the great treatment.
\

Better sign them Union Cards ! You will have recall rights for five years.

:weightlifter::eek:last week i started my new run from seattle to william ca. they have me my co driver droping trailer in portland or. then going on to william ca. and back to portland or. back to william you get the picture. i ran seattle to fontana ca. two and half time of week !!!!!!!!!!! so what is ups up to???????????????????????????

U

ups trucker

Im not sure anymore,i have worked for mc for 24 years with my seniority as number 1 driver i was able to move my family to a small town about 110 mile from the terminal 8 years ago to save the company money in serving the smaller towns and yes we make the money for them. I have 1 other driver and sometimes 2 drivers that come from the terminal to help me everyday.Well in may of 2008 i was called by my operation manager and he gave me 2 weeks to report back to the terminal or lose all my seniority.We packed our bags and moved asap the drive and working would have gave me about 17 hour days i get about 11 to 12 hour a day and i lived there. We have tried to rent and sell our house there but with the housing market crash no luck we will probably end up losing our home.We have never been late for a bill unless it was lost in the mail .They have posted bids so i bid off that route serving the small town it will be 14 hour days from the terminal and we will do about 15 to 20 stops a day each and thats not our 5 to 10 pickups a day with about 200 to 350 mile a day each.Well as the number 1 driver ive always drove a newer tractor so yes they are mad i didn't bid on my old route so they gave me a old old tractor .When i started with mc we didn't have ac or power-steering so bring it on.With this rack of new managers they sure dont respect seniority and that sucks after blood sweat and tears to get where im at thanks

orangeupser

CHP INSPECTIONS are A JOKE. Send out the truck before the officer shows up and keep the good ones in. That's the UPS FREIGHT WAY. DEAD LINE YOUR TRUCKS is the only way to get better equipment