Does UPS care at all about employee morale?

22.34life

Our old center manager ran a craptastic building because he was too much of a people person and let everyone get away with everything. Morale was high at our party palace. Our Division manager was once quoted, "This is the most 'friend' up building in the district." They sent a new guy who is way too much of a business man and morale has taken the preverbial sh**. Just the other day our division manager was quoted as saying, "this building is still ass 'friend'd up as it ever was."

Point being that being FAT and happy isn't good. But being lean and miserable is just as bad. You have to find the middle ground.
this is right on target,you have to find a happy medium.managment is either extreme one way or the other.morale is low and i dont think ups cares at all.i have not seen a founders day recognized in years,no christmas turkey and i have a friend who got his 25 yrs of service and all he got was a slip of paper in an envelope,nothing more.for 5 or ten years i could see not getting to much but for 25 yrs of service you should get something.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We have a new on road who used to be a corporate safety guy on the other side of our state but got down sized out of a job. He still lives there and drives an hour and a half both ways. So one of the guys I work with calls him up at 3:30 on friday and guess where he is. He's at home while the poo is being flung back at out center. He tells my buddy to call the OMS girl and she'll handle it. THANKS! Must be nice to be home at 1530 when your drivers are all out till 2100 or later!

The Milkman

It's an easy job if the employees would follow directions and not concern themselves with company issues. You guys get paid to follow instructions, nothiing else is any of your concern.

Just Curious ? If driving is such a simple job, how long did you drive ( If any) and deal with the all the crap drivers deal with daily? When we went public service went down the tubes and in all my years before I retired I met many a great center manager who treated us all with respect , however there were a few that came in like you and caused dissent among us all and made our lives miserable no matter how much money UPS paid us.

I was once proud to say I worked at UPS and sadly now I would not recommend anyone to work there. It is a very Physical, Mentally challenged job no matter how you put it,:knockedout: along with the long hours, the hot or cold trucks, the dirt, the dust, then to return to the bldg to hear how you should of been in earlier. Everybody is on edge ready to snap because of the burden ( although we chose it) knuckleheads like you put on us.. Are families of management treated the same way at home or do you flip a switch and become human once home??:greedy:

iloadthetruck

I have a few friends who immigrated from the Soviet bloc.

When they ask me what working at UPS is like, I ask them how they would feel if it was like their home country used to be... without the breadlines.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a few friends who immigrated from the Soviet bloc.

When they ask me what working at UPS is like, I ask them how they would feel if it was like their home country used to be... without the breadlines.

This comparison is even more stupid than the one comparing employment at UPS to serving a prison term. If you don't like your job I am sure you know where the exit door is--please feel free to use it.

Some of you people simply amaze me.

over9five

Staff member
Your job is such a huge part of your life, there is no way you should go thru your whole life hating it.

Move on, maybe you'll make less money...... but the hate will be gone.

NHDRVR

Your job is such a huge part of your life, there is no way you should go thru your whole life hating it.

Move on, maybe you'll make less money...... but the hate will be gone.

I have always said that I don"t hate the actual job that I do. The physical act of being on the road and going through the daily motions are all fine. I sometimes enjoy it, when the weather is nice, and occasionally find it boring, the QVC queens, but I have no issue with the fact of what I do for a living.

I agree that if you are absolutely miserable with UPS then quit. Get out ASAP and try to find something better. The crux of the complaining on this forum, IMO, has more to do with treatment versus expectations. We are all expected to perform function 'A', for example. That's why we were hired. It's in the treatment that we have most of our differences of opinion. I don't think that because I choose to stay employed by UPS that I deserve to be treated as I sometimes am. This isn't whining. It's a reaction to the daily rigors of what we do . I don't have to explain it to anyone employed here. When I check my EDD and I see that I have a split that will take me 20 minutes to drive to yet 15 minutes to deliver, yeah, I am going to say ***!

Cutting routes is out of my control. Asking me to cover extra pick-ups (work as directed) is out of my control. But guess what?? My uninterested reaction when mgmt. asks why I'm paid over????

Out of my control....

fxdwg

Long Time Member
This comparison is even more stupid than the one comparing employment at UPS to serving a prison term. If you don't like your job I am sure you know where the exit door is--please feel free to use it.

Now Dave...This kind of response is why you are an "Interesting Poster" (not Celeb or Person). The "Stupid" in my opinion, is warranted.

Take the high road but realize that there are those of us down here at a different level. In that, I mean; I take nothing seriously here on BC. It is a relaxing, fun, interactive diversion from my normal existence.

tieguy

Banned
They phased it out due to the morale issue. You can't have unreasonable expectations on a handful of runs and then NOT expect those drivers to submit an accurate ERI.

not totally. It was another managed item at the local level. Management tried to manage it. the local unions sometimes tried to manage it. Now corporate randomly picks a few names out of a hat which probably gives them a more accurate picture.

trickpony1

Innerstate-
Please try to remember that not all of us work in a tiny remote extended center in the boonies of upper NY where things are considerably more relaxed.

Some of us work at large hubs where supervision has nothing to do but substantiate their jobs. This means they must create problems and then resolve those problems.
The anger, hate and bitterness and the constant reminders thereof are considerably less in the boonies.
I guess what I am trying to say is "everyone is not as happy as Innerstate".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Irregardless of where you work, there is no UPS operating location with working conditions that could even remotely compare to the living conditions of the people under the former Soviet regime. Or that could be compared to serving time in prison. I'll admit to a poor choice of words but I couldn't think of a nicer way to say it.

jimstud

Banned
Irregardless of where you work, there is no UPS operating location with working conditions that could even remotely compare to the living conditions of the people under the former Soviet regime. Or that could be compared to serving time in prison. I'll admit to a poor choice of words but I couldn't think of a nicer way to say it.

there are times that it does feel like a 30 year prison term. but if it was like that every day i would say it is time to seek new employment.

UPSSOCKS

Just Curious ? If driving is such a simple job, how long did you drive ( If any) and deal with the all the crap drivers deal with daily? When we went public service went down the tubes and in all my years before I retired I met many a great center manager who treated us all with respect , however there were a few that came in like you and caused dissent among us all and made our lives miserable no matter how much money UPS paid us.

I was once proud to say I worked at UPS and sadly now I would not recommend anyone to work there. It is a very Physical, Mentally challenged job no matter how you put it,:knockedout: along with the long hours, the hot or cold trucks, the dirt, the dust, then to return to the bldg to hear how you should of been in earlier. Everybody is on edge ready to snap because of the burden ( although we chose it) knuckleheads like you put on us.. Are families of management treated the same way at home or do you flip a switch and become human once home??:greedy:

If it's so bad..... drum roll please.......... QUIT!!!

I drove for less than a year.... Why is it so mentally challenging.... Follow orders, pretty simple...

DS

Fenderbender

Upstate,it's not like me to correct others bad spelling,but I will make an exception in your case:)...........................putting "IR" in front of
REGARDLESS,makes it a double negative.I found this explanation.
Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a diligent, bored mod will correct you.:)