Does UPS care at all about employee morale?

whiskey

a few years back a drivers house caught on fire on his way to work.(this was before cell phones were so popular).his wife called the center and told them to send him home.they never gave him the message till late in the afternoon when they could finally finish his route!!!so with this and countless other stories .ups could care less about anyone or there moral!!!

We had a driver's wife call the building panic stricken that she had gone into labor. She asked management to contact her husband and let him know an ambulance was on the way. This was at noon time. She had the baby at 6 pm. They gave the driver his wife's message after he returned to the building and was doing his turn in. It was 1900.

DS

Fenderbender
If you think they care about employee morale,
Then you got another thing comin' pal,
the oncar sups and the center manager's powers
Are overridden daily from the ivory towers

impossible standards and threatening pcm's
decisions being made by parameciums

Some sups try to lend an ear regardless,
But the ones that run the show are unfortunately heartless

upsgrunt

In March of 2008 I got a call about noon that my mother was dying 200 miles away. I called the center and asked them if they could help me out; they said come back to the center and they would see what they could do. When I pulled up, my supe came out, and although wasn't real pleased about it, told me "I want you to be there".

To this day, that simple act did the most for my morale and I will never forget what my supe said to me- I will do just about anything for her still.

I made it to my mom's bedside and had my goodbyes- You can't put a price on that in my book.

DS

Fenderbender
grunt I hear ya,some management folk have big hearts,and I commend them for doing whats right in times of adversity .

browniehound

Irregardless of where you work, there is no UPS operating location with working conditions that could even remotely compare to the living conditions of the people under the former Soviet regime. Or that could be compared to serving time in prison. I'll admit to a poor choice of words but I couldn't think of a nicer way to say it.

Upstate, I read all your posts in regard to this issue and I cannot agree more. Yes, the job is tough, but please don't compare it to prison. If you think its comparable to prison then you are very ignorant and nieve. Also, I would pray everyday if you end up in prison if you think UPS is comparable.

Working at UPS is Diseney World. Go to jail and tell me how much you miss UPS please?

browniehound

Boy, those stories rile me up. Their priorities are sooooooo backwards.

As soon as he says , "I gotta write you up", you should just reply "Whatever floats your boat".

We shouldn't get upset over their stupidity.

Good advice. And I don't get mad because I just ignore it. Its a very simple philosophy but I live by it...

If it's so bad..... drum roll please.......... QUIT!!!

I drove for less than a year.... Why is it so mentally challenging.... Follow orders, pretty simple...[/QUIt

It does not surprise me that you did not last a year. If it was that simple a job then I think you could of handled it it, but obviously you put your tail between your legs and pleaded to become management because you could not handle this seemingly simple (work as directed job) that you claim it is. You are a wussie and probably was picked on as a kid and now your power trip comes by wearing a tiethat is too tight around your fat neck...
ouch ouch ouch that hurts

Re-Raise

In March of 2008 I got a call about noon that my mother was dying 200 miles away. I called the center and asked them if they could help me out; they said come back to the center and they would see what they could do. When I pulled up, my supe came out, and although wasn't real pleased about it, told me "I want you to be there".

To this day, that simple act did the most for my morale and I will never forget what my supe said to me- I will do just about anything for her still.

I made it to my mom's bedside and had my goodbyes- You can't put a price on that in my book.

Sorry about your mom's passing and I am glad you were able to be there to say goodbye.

Sometimes management and even hourlies get so caught up in the stress of the job they forget what is really important in life.

brownboxman

Good post, all jobs have expectations. That doesnt excuse the lack of respect for us drivers, part time, AND local management people.

I have always said that I don"t hate the actual job that I do. The physical act of being on the road and going through the daily motions are all fine. I sometimes enjoy it, when the weather is nice, and occasionally find it boring, the QVC queens, but I have no issue with the fact of what I do for a living.

I agree that if you are absolutely miserable with UPS then quit. Get out ASAP and try to find something better. The crux of the complaining on this forum, IMO, has more to do with treatment versus expectations. We are all expected to perform function 'A', for example. That's why we were hired. It's in the treatment that we have most of our differences of opinion. I don't think that because I choose to stay employed by UPS that I deserve to be treated as I sometimes am. This isn't whining. It's a reaction to the daily rigors of what we do . I don't have to explain it to anyone employed here. When I check my EDD and I see that I have a split that will take me 20 minutes to drive to yet 15 minutes to deliver, yeah, I am going to say ***!

Cutting routes is out of my control. Asking me to cover extra pick-ups (work as directed) is out of my control. But guess what?? My uninterested reaction when mgmt. asks why I'm paid over????

Out of my control....

M

Mike23

I only read some of this so hopefully no one else brought this up. Anyone seen that series 'undercover boss'? I think our CEO's need a reality check, brown up, and see how their employees really fare, instead of living in whatever dream world they happen to live in at the moment.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
UpstateNYUPSer;756904[B said:
]Irregardless[/B] of where you work, there is no UPS operating location with working conditions that could even remotely compare to the living conditions of the people under the former Soviet regime. Or that could be compared to serving time in prison. I'll admit to a poor choice of words but I couldn't think of a nicer way to say it.

The "word" irregardless is not a word at all. More like a gutteral expression brought over from peasants from Europe that settled in the NE:

The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the speculation among references is that it may be a blend, or portmanteau word, of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words. By blending these words, an illogical word is created. Another possibility is that when people say "irregardless" they are following the pattern of words like "irrelevant", "irrational" and "irregular". "Since the prefix ir- means 'not' (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."[1] According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana. Barely a decade later, the usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language

NHDRVR

The "word" irregardless is not a word at all. More like a gutteral expression brought over from peasants from Europe that settled in the NE:

The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the speculation among references is that it may be a blend, or portmanteau word, of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words. By blending these words, an illogical word is created. Another possibility is that when people say "irregardless" they are following the pattern of words like "irrelevant", "irrational" and "irregular". "Since the prefix ir- means 'not' (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."[1] According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana. Barely a decade later, the usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language

Irregardless is one. Supposably is another. And we have a guy in our center who always says 'last but least'.