does UPS drug screen?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Why is it that so many people ask this question? If you have to worry about it, don't do it. I'd love to be able to imbibe in a little ganja once in awhile but I have a job that prohibits that and my job is FAR more important.

BTW- If you get injured on the job, you WILL be doing a piss test.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I've been here 3 1/2, never been tested. They only test people in the building if they get hurt. They will spend the time and money making sure they dont have to pay disability.

As for ment said, I hear people say that all the time at my HUB. And its true, I know a lot of people using at work. Some I've seen use, and some I can just tell.

UPS sees you as an investment. As long as you make their 90 days and prove yourself to the job, they will want to keep you around. If you get hurt, they will make you test. If your a complete tard, they will make you test. This is what I've seen here. It could be different place to place. It isnt cheap to test someone, so UPS doesnt do it often.

kdogg788

As stated above, if you have to ask, go take a job at Mickey D's. I hate to sound harsh, but there are sensible reasons why they don't want people working around power equipment, hard surfaces, and heavy objects if they've been taking drugs recently.

-k

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yeah!! The txt boxes are fixed!!!!

I agree with Dilli. The job is far more important than a buzz that just leads to a munch fest.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Why is it that so many people ask this question? If you have to worry about it, don't do it. I'd love to be able to imbibe in a little ganja once in awhile but I have a job that prohibits that and my job is FAR more important.

BTW- If you get injured on the job, you WILL be doing a piss test.

Not in Wisconsin. A few years ago, I fell on some ice and tore my rotator cuff. Went with a sup to the ER for diagnosis and treatment. Doctor said they wouldn't release me until I submitted to a drug test. Knew from being a steward that they can test for an accident but NOT an injury. Called my BA and he showed up at the hospital, set them straight and walked me out the door. Different states have very different sets of rules. It is wise for everyone to know what their rights are in their own areas!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not in Wisconsin. A few years ago, I fell on some ice and tore my rotator cuff. Went with a sup to the ER for diagnosis and treatment. Doctor said they wouldn't release me until I submitted to a drug test. Knew from being a steward that they can test for an accident but NOT an injury. Called my BA and he showed up at the hospital, set them straight and walked me out the door. Different states have very different sets of rules. It is wise for everyone to know what their rights are in their own areas!

Rights are rights, and I applaud your conviction, but wouldn't it have been easier for all involved had you just submitted to the drug test, unless, of course, you were concerned about what the results would be.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Wouldn't it have been easier to stay under british rule? Why do you always take the easier route? You can't stand up for what's right? The company signed the contract. Wouldn't it be easier if management would abide by the contract?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldn't it have been easier to stay under british rule? Why do you always take the easier route? You can't stand up for what's right? The company signed the contract. Wouldn't it be easier if management would abide by the contract?

I applauded him for his convictions but why drag the BA down to the hospital for what should be a meaningless test?

If there was nothing to worry about why was he so concerned?

Take the test, wait for them to tell you you're clean, go home.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The BA is salary. Get out of bed and do your job. Besides, as I see it, he works for us. He stood up for himself and the rest of us. I thank him for his convictions. Implying he didn't want to take it because of the potential of failure is quite presumptuous on your part. Not unusual, though.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I applauded him for his convictions but why drag the BA down to the hospital for what should be a meaningless test?
Because it's the BA's job

If there was nothing to worry about why was he so concerned?
Because his rights were being violated

Take the test, wait for them to tell you you're clean, go home.
I believe you would submit to a body cavity search if management insisted on it. Grow a pair would ya.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you think I am going to sit for 2-3 hours (or more) for our BA to drive down from Potsdam to tell them that I don't need to take a test that I have absolutely no concern about then perhaps it is you that needs the drug test.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If you think I am going to sit for 2-3 hours (or more) for our BA to drive down from Potsdam to tell them that I don't need to take a test that I have absolutely no concern about then perhaps it is you that needs the drug test.

This is because you are only concerned about yourself.
Many men and women before you and me fought and sacrificed to establish the rights we are presently afforded through our union contracts and labor laws.
If you think I will ever stand by and watch them stomped on, regardless of any personal sacrifices I may incur, it is you that needs a drug test.
So once again, grow a pair.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is because you are only concerned about yourself.
Many men and women before you and me fought and sacrificed to establish the rights we are presently afforded through our union contracts and labor laws.
If you think I will ever stand by and watch them stomped on, regardless of any personal sacrifices I may incur, it is you that needs a drug test.
So once again, grow a pair.

Yawn.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Rights are rights, and I applaud your conviction, but wouldn't it have been easier for all involved had you just submitted to the drug test, unless, of course, you were concerned about what the results would be.

There was zero chance that I would have failed the drug test at that time. I did smoke a joint or two back in my college days at UW, but have not used any illegal drugs in over 30 years. That being said, I did have many reasons for denying a drug test at that time. I informed the MD that I had ibuprofen and Tramadol in my system and that was all he needed to know as the treating physician. Both were prescribed medications.
1) The hospital was unwilling or unable to afford me a split sample in the event of a false positive screening.
2) Management had no right to trample over our collective bargaining agreement or any applicable state laws in order to satisfy their curiosity.
3) Part of my responsibility as a steward is to lead by example and to educate the members of their rights. You can
bet in the days following the injury most everyone in my center knew that a drug screening was not required after an injury and should not be provided. Informed members to get clean before you get caught.
4) Needed a ride back to my car and would rather sit with my BA than to listen to the safety drivel from my sup!