Does UPS ever sell their old vehicles?

brown_trousers

There's a tiny little package car sitting in the back of our lot. Its smaller than a 500, maybe a 250 or 300? But its been sitting back there for years with no engine. I'd love to buy that thing and fix it up in some wierd crazy way. Does UPS ever sell these old clunkers?

iruhnman630

Few things bring me more joy than seeing a piece of junk car get whitewashed and loaded on a flatbed headed for the scrapheap.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Many times I have suggested a United Way fundraiser involving an old, non-power steering junker that is on its way to be crushed. They could park it out front for a week and let us drivers pay $1 per swing with a sledgehammer before it gets hauled off.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Many times I have suggested a United Way fundraiser involving an old, non-power steering junker that is on its way to be crushed. They could park it out front for a week and let us drivers pay $1 per swing with a sledgehammer before it gets hauled off.
The liability would be killer!!
You swing and miss and hit your shin.
A piece of metal chips off and acts like schrapnel.
Just all kinds of things could happen.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would donate money to the United Way for the privilege of shooting holes into a high step P-800 or P-1000.

rod

Retired 22 years
Believe me if UPS finally admits that a vehicle is ready to be put one out to pasture you don't want anything to do with it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Once a upon a time they used to be sold but after some genius got a hold of one and repainted it brown wiht appropriate logos also acquired a set of browns and went around making "pickups", they no longer do that. Most are whitewashed and scrapped.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Once a upon a time they used to be sold but after some genius got a hold of one and repainted it brown wiht appropriate logos also acquired a set of browns and went around making "pickups", they no longer do that. Most are whitewashed and scrapped.

Harpa?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I was told that with the amount of aluminum in them they get more scrapping them than they would selling them.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Believe me if UPS finally admits that a vehicle is ready to be put one out to pasture you don't want anything to do with it.

A number of years ago I had one of those ancient 1978 GMC's that was absolutely on its last leg while I was pulling a split. I signed off on the DVIR that it was safe for operation (because it was, it was just old, slow, and tired), but just to make the mechanic smile, I wrote "sign the ADA and paint it white" in the comments. I never saw it again. R.I.P. 79751, wherever you went to lol.