Does ups hire new cdl drivers?

newdriver85

I'm currently in truck driving school in PA. I recently saw a job posting for a dock worker with cdl. Does ups hire new cdl drivers. Either frieght or delivery? I was told it helps to have a military background if it does I do have a honorable discharge.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Your looking at freight I'm sure. At least dock worker with CDL I would assume would be there.

For package they will hire you part time then 10 years later u might drive package then 15 years later maybe feeders.

Dozzee

B688, what exactly is a feeder driver. Is that going like yard to yard, drop and hooks only? When I search the UPS web site, "casual feeder driver" doesn't come up. The recruiter I spoke to set up a app for me on-line, showing that title, but there is no job description.

I am interviewing for a temporary "casual feeder driver" on Tuesday in Chicago. The recruiter I spoke to told me I'd be on-call with only 2 hours notice. I just can't imagine working for years (or months seeing that it is a temporary position) with only 2 hours notice never knowing when whether you're going to be working days, afternoons, or overnights. Can you confirm, is that really how it works?

oldupsman

B688, what exactly is a feeder driver. Is that going like yard to yard, drop and hooks only? When I search the UPS web site, "casual feeder driver" doesn't come up. The recruiter I spoke to set up a app for me on-line, showing that title, but there is no job description.

I am interviewing for a temporary "casual feeder driver" on Tuesday in Chicago. The recruiter I spoke to told me I'd be on-call with only 2 hours notice. I just can't imagine working for years (or months seeing that it is a temporary position) with only 2 hours notice never knowing when whether you're going to be working days, afternoons, or overnights. Can you confirm, is that really how it works?
Yes it can work that way. You will be working all different kinds of hours. You will have to decide how badly you want the job.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'm currently in truck driving school in PA. I recently saw a job posting for a dock worker with cdl. Does ups hire new cdl drivers. Either frieght or delivery? I was told it helps to have a military background if it does I do have a honorable discharge.

I'd like to bless you with an answer of yes, but NO!

Seniroty rules the realm. You can have the highest of quality record of driving, yet will spend countless of years working bull***** PT work.

Welcome to UPS!

balland chain

I have never heard the expression casual feeder driver.. We feeder drivers who are "on call" usually get about 2 hours notice of a start time. Being on call has it ups and downs. Some days a senior guy will call in and you will be the first available driver to cover his/her shift. On slow days, if no drivers are calling in sick, or there are no over flow loads, or extra loads, you may not be called in. Our contract language here, states that there is no guarantee of 8 hours, if you are a driver who has not gained seniority. So, some drivers who have not gained seniority take a run for the week when the bid list for each week is posted. That way, they know they will get their 8 hours, and know what time they have to work that week. Yeah, it kinda stinks being on call, but you have your foot in the door. I can not speak much more of that as we dont use casual feeders down south. Hopefully a feeder from chi will get online and will be able to help you out more.. Safety is huge at UPS, so be sure to memorize the 10 point commentary and all other safety related methods if you can snatch that job..Good luck..

That would be with local 710 in Chicago. Local 705 does not do that.
Yes you will be on call. You do not have to come in if there's a good reason you can't but I believe you go to the bottom of the call list regardless of seniority until everyone above you has been called in. The may not be 100% accurate but it does go something like that. Maybe a 710 driver can get that more accurate.
710 is the longer run division here in Chicago usually 10 hour runs on average. As a cover driver count on working every bad weather day almost guaranteed.

QKRSTKR

UPS hires cdl drivers for feeders. Happens all the time. Usually start out as seasonal then leads to full time job. Most guys have to ride bottom of on call board for years. That's why they are so disgruntled when package drivers come over with senority. So on call all the time. Here they only have to give you an hour notice. I will say they usually hire guys with a lot of experience and all weather driving for so many years. Good luck.