Does UPS management have a monthly quota on warning letters?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all UPS Management Employees,

For Discussion:

In the UPS Discussions Sub Forum it has been said that management has a quota of warning letters that they are required to generate on a monthly basis.

Any comments on this statement?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Haven't heard of more than TWO being issued in the last month to FT's in my center (85 drivers) so I say no. At least not into division.
Shifting Contents,

The quantity of warning letters issue is irrelevant to whether there is a stated quota.

Quotas are not always met.

The management employees that are required to meet these quotas would be the first place to look for proof of their existence.

Do you have proof that these quotas do not exist?

Sincerely,
I

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a minimum number that if they don't reach it say 4-5 months in a row then their boss starts pressuring them as to if they are doing their jobs properly.

bluehdmc

There are no management quotas for warning letters.

They simply do not exist.

Asked a police officer friend if they had quotas since it seems you see more radar traps around the end of the month. He replied no they didn't have quotas but would be told the weren't being "produtive".

brownIEman

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a minimum number that if they don't reach it say 4-5 months in a row then their boss starts pressuring them as to if they are doing their jobs properly.

This sort of pressure to hand out more warning letters does exist, but not based on a number of warning letters filed. It is based on performance of a work group.
For example, if a preload is having trouble wrapping on a regular basis due to chronic attendance problems yet there are no attendance warning letters in the pipeline for that operation, that supervisor will get a lot of pressure about doing his job.
The same would be true for late air issues, DNEDs from smoked packages, misloads, accidents, or any other safety, service or performance issues in an operation.

In my experience warning letters are never discussed in a vacuum.

island1fox

Shifting Contents,

The quantity of warning letters issue is irrelevant to whether there is a stated quota.

Quotas are not always met.

The management employees that are required to meet these quotas would be the first place to look for proof of their existence.

Do you have proof that these quotas do not exist?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity,

Sounds like you make a decision based on NO proof that warning letter Quotas exist.

Sounds like a lack of INTEGRITY.

pretzel_man

There is NO quota for warnings letters.... But there is a requirement to give warning letters.

Let me explain.... We BOTH created a system that requires warning letters.

If I owned my own business, I could fire employees at will for the most part. I don't have to warn you or suspend you. If I don't like your behavior I can fire you without extensive documentation. (again, for the most part)

UPS and the Teamsters came up with the system of progressive discipline. That is a good thing. It protects the employee. With the exception of cardinal sins, I cannot fire you without warning and I cannot fire you unless there is repeated violation of the same behavior. Again, this is good.

But.... That means that I also cannot say that I'm firing you because of repeated offenses without documenting those offenses....

I'm forced to document everything.

As strange as it sounds, warning letters are the byproduct of a system designed to protect the employee. "You are warned, don't do this again".

Its required documentation, no more than that.

barnyard

KTM rider
p-man gives a good explanation.

I would also add that warning letters can be used to make a point.

When telematics was introduced to our center, a warning letter was issued to a 30+ year driver for not punching out on break to take a phone call. Telematics showed him sitting for 10 minutes and when asked, the driver said he pulled over to answer a call.

The driver has/had an excellent record, comes into work and does a fine job every day. He is well-respected in my center.

I would guess that it took less than 2 minutes for the entire center to know he received the warning letter and what it was for. The letter drove home the point of what telematics was capable of and it was the only warning letter issued.

I was on TAW at the time and asked a supe why that particular driver got the letter. He smiled and said, "Who else could we have given one to that would have generated the response?" That was all he would say.

The letter was grieved and removed from his file, but the message was already in place.

If PCMs fixed all our issues, we would not have any issues.

kingOFchester

There is NO quota for warnings letters.... But there is a requirement to give warning letters.

Let me explain.... We BOTH created a system that requires warning letters.

If I owned my own business, I could fire employees at will for the most part. I don't have to warn you or suspend you. If I don't like your behavior I can fire you without extensive documentation. (again, for the most part)

UPS and the Teamsters came up with the system of progressive discipline. That is a good thing. It protects the employee. With the exception of cardinal sins, I cannot fire you without warning and I cannot fire you unless there is repeated violation of the same behavior. Again, this is good.

But.... That means that I also cannot say that I'm firing you because of repeated offenses without documenting those offenses....

I'm forced to document everything.

As strange as it sounds, warning letters are the byproduct of a system designed to protect the employee. "You are warned, don't do this again".

Its required documentation, no more than that.

I guess UPS can't rule UPS the way I rule my domain. Me to kids, my warning is a kick in the ass. Thankfully my feet stay pretty well planted on the floor. For the most part....

To all UPS Management Employees,For Discussion:In the UPS Discussions Sub Forum it has been said that management has a quota of warning letters that they are required to generate on a monthly basis.Any comments on this statement?Sincerely,I
unlike us production is in their contract. They have to produce and since they can't make us money they have to drive us like slaves. Republican are what management is. Doesn't this say it all???

barnyard

KTM rider
Back when I owned my own business, I went to a seminar and the speaker emphasized an obvious, but way over-looked point. No matter your business, there is a very finite amount of money that can be saved or gained through efficiency. There is an infinite amount to be made.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
unlike us production is in their contract. They have to produce and since they can't make us money they have to drive us like slaves. Republican are what management is. Doesn't this say it all???

Hmm, then I wonder what you call a Republican driver......as there are quite a few of us.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hmm, then I wonder what you call a Republican driver......as there are quite a few of us.

That's very true. We had an overly zealous union steward (sadly, his 12th termination stuck) who was a die-hard Republican. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I'm amazed at the number of UPS drivers who seriously believe they'd earn the same compensation package should there be no union. You'd be surprised on what others think of driver compensation... do a Google search. We even lost a major shipper -- up to 30K UOW some days -- because the owner felt UPS drivers earned too much, inflating shipping costs. They came back when they began D.B.A. QVC, but quickly bolted to FedEx when QVC greenlighted FedEx as an option for some of its "suppliers."

kingOFchester

That's very true. We had an overly zealous union steward (sadly, his 12th termination stuck) who was a die-hard Republican. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I'm amazed at the number of UPS drivers who seriously believe they'd earn the same compensation package should there be no union. You'd be surprised on what others think of driver compensation... do a Google search. We even lost a major shipper -- up to 30K UOW some days -- because the owner felt UPS drivers earned too much, inflating shipping costs. They came back when they began D.B.A. QVC, but quickly bolted to FedEx when QVC greenlighted FedEx as an option for some of its "suppliers."

I am a registered Republican. Changed my registration in 2010. But, that doesn't mean that I stand behind them on all issues. Only the issues that I feel are most important. My beliefs fall more inline with Libertarian.