Does UPS pays enough 2 have stayhome Wife

I do Agree and disagree with some of the answers, my wife stays home while I work, to the guys that disagree about missing sport activities with the kids, must just work part time at UPS, because at least driving the earliest you will be off the clock is 5:30 to 6:00 pm, then a small commute, you are getting home at 6:30, by then at least my kids are already home doing homework, yes I did missed the baseball practice, but Saturday game daddy will be there to support him, yes I wish I could be to all their activites but at least I feel very confortable knowing that mom is there with the kids, unless some of you dont trust your partners, thats is another story.
Finally either one of the spauses has to work in order to survive.

paidslave

The Tax Policy Center, an independent, non-partisan group, has estimated how taxpayers' 2009 taxes will change under the next President. Answer a few simple questions to calculate the likely change in your tax bill in 2009:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080831000740/http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/ McCain or Obama Tax Bill.....?

Its up to you to Bail yourself out with your vote in November. This current administration will not bail you out unless you own a bank!

Time for Change........

upsdude

The Tax Policy Center, an independent, non-partisan group, has estimated how taxpayers' 2009 taxes will change under the next President. Answer a few simple questions to calculate the likely change in your tax bill in 2009:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080831000740/http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/ McCain or Obama Tax Bill.....?

Its up to you to Bail yourself out with your vote in November. This current administration will not bail you out unless you own a bank!

Time for Change........

Change? Obama is more of the same.

Thanks to the Democrats we need a bail out......................

newguy1

I do Agree and disagree with some of the answers, my wife stays home while I work, to the guys that disagree about missing sport activities with the kids, must just work part time at UPS, because at least driving the earliest you will be off the clock is 5:30 to 6:00 pm, then a small commute, you are getting home at 6:30, by then at least my kids are already home doing homework, yes I did missed the baseball practice, but Saturday game daddy will be there to support him, yes I wish I could be to all their activites but at least I feel very confortable knowing that mom is there with the kids, unless some of you dont trust your partners, thats is another story.
Finally either one of the spauses has to work in order to survive.

you say that the usual driver usually finishes around 5:30 - 6 getting home around 6:30. but at my gym, i always see a UPSer in uniform working out usually around 3:30-4oclock. he always worksout fast and always in uniform, is he on the clock? and is this looked bad or can he get away with it? i have never seen his package car outside, i only have seen him inside but he's in and out on his way.....

ups79

Finally this past May i was able to pull my wife from working and be dedicated to take care of the kids and home, I feel so much relief when im out there for 10 or 11 hours a day knowing that she is there to take care of any emergency, not to mention coming home to a warm meal and basically fall sleep watching tv, yes we do miss alot of activities with the kids, but weekend come, thats when we recupare that time. im sure alot of you married browns feel the same.

It depends upon your material wants. Can you get by without the big new house, the bass boat, the hummer, all the hunting toys, designer clothes, or any other foolish things you think you might need?

tritese

tritese
you say that the usual driver usually finishes around 5:30 - 6 getting home around 6:30. but at my gym, i always see a UPSer in uniform working out usually around 3:30-4oclock. he always worksout fast and always in uniform, is he on the clock? and is this looked bad or can he get away with it? i have never seen his package car outside, i only have seen him inside but he's in and out on his way.....

perhaps he is working out on his way to work, or even on his meal. just because he is in browns it doesn't mean he is a package guy. could be feeder or air driver. i know a lot of feeder drivers that workout on their meal. i admire them for that too.

dillweed

Living within your means is key. Some at our center got into driving, got married, nice house and all just to wish later that they hadn't gotten so far into debt.

Being home, Mom might have enough time to scour ads and clip the coupons. It really is worth the time.

Kids need the security of a parent available. It's not always possible, but great for those who can do it.

Jigawatts

I make good enough money now working my p/t job at UPS, plus another job that my wife can stay at home with our 2 daughters. The oldest is 3, the youngest is 9 months and we're not done yet.:wink2:

I know I'm going to have to burn this bridge when I get there, but I'm already concerned about missing my children grow up when I go full time. I'm trying to convince my wife to go back to school so than when that magical time comes for me to be a driver, she'll make enough money that I can just stay part time and not miss anything.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I make good enough money now working my p/t job at UPS, plus another job that my wife can stay at home with our 2 daughters. The oldest is 3, the youngest is 9 months and we're not done yet.:wink2:

I know I'm going to have to burn this bridge when I get there, but I'm already concerned about missing my children grow up when I go full time. I'm trying to convince my wife to go back to school so than when that magical time comes for me to be a driver, she'll make enough money that I can just stay part time and not miss anything.
That sounds like a good idea. I am sure she will appreciate trading roles and you will appreciate the extra time with kids. They grow up fast and the time can never be replaced. New cars and vacations and so on can always wait.
Incidentally, there are many people in America who work worse hours for much less compensation. I agree with an earlier poster-what works for one may not be best for another.

SmithBarney

Well my then wife-to-be was not working I was only 2 years into progression
I was able to support us rent was 1200 + utilities, no children, but plenty of
toys, lots of fancy eating out... so yeah you can do it.. you won't see your kids though

newguy1

so on a normal day, not peak, what is the normal time package car drivers usually clock out?

and what time durring peak?

because if normal time is 6ish, that not too bad, yea i understand that sports practices and school meetings are usually 5ish and will miss them but will always be home for dinner together....

i am actually used to it because my dad is and was a truck driver working normally 12-15 hour days, it does take a toll on the family but one understands it when you lived it on the other end....i unfortunetly experienced going to most of my baseball, basketball, and hockey practices and games alone, but they will understand it as time goes by...

one good thing is that at least can see them in the morning to start your day, and at night to finish your day....

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I take the kids to school in the morning. By the time I drop them off they've had enough of me for the day. Mom works full time but has the flexibility to cover emergencies, appointment etc. Kids appear to have turned out fairly normal.