Does UPS (Tx) pay for Jury Duty days for PartTime?

KarissaA

I've got Jury Duty Wed...my FT Sup already knows and has my copy. I just wondered if they'll pay me for the difference between my normal day's work and that little $6 check the courthouse'll give me.

JonFrum

Yes. But read all of Contract Article 29 for the details.

ARTICLE 29.
Section 1. Jury Duty
When a seniority employee is called for jury duty service, he/she shall be excused from his/her regular duties on the days he/she is required to appear in court or comply with jury rules that prevent him/her from reporting for work. For any regularly scheduled workday in which time off for such jury service is granted, the full-time employee shall be paid his/her guarantee and the part-time employee shall receive four (4) hours’ pay at his/her straight-time hourly rate, less any amount received as a jury duty fee if such fees are defined as wages under applicable laws. The employee shall be required, however, to turn over to the Employer adequate proof of his/her jury duty service and compensation, if any, in order to receive the compensation above provided. . . . etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will be asked if your employer pays you and, if so, you will sign a form to that effect and will not receive your jury duty pay. You will be paid for your daily guarantee as stated above.

I love jury duty. UPS hates jury duty.

KarissaA

Thanks, y'all! Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to my day off, even though it means spending up to 8 hours sitting in uncomfortable benches.

brett636

I have received the summons twice, and here you have to call a phone number each day of the week you were summoned for to see if your group number has been called to show up to the courthouse the next day. Both times my group never was called despite my hope that it was. :(