Does Weingarten Rights apply at the guard shack

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Put the timeclock before the guard shack. Bet your ass the check in will take half as long if your getting paid to do it!!

some1else

im paid until im "released from duty"

why am i required to wait 10 minutes to be searched/radiated/scanned on my own time every night? thats not my understanding of being released from duty. even if its 5 seconds it should be paid for.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The word that is missing in all of this...is "reasonable".

UPS has every right to implement reasonable security procedures in order to reduce theft.

I have every right to not be "unreasonably" delayed coming to and from work on my time.

The problem...in my facility at least...is that UPS does it half-assed and on the cheap. Our guard shack is undersized and understaffed. It was never designed to contain a metal detector; the walls and doors are metal and every time you open the door it sets the detector off. In the AM there is only one guard to search both the incoming drivers and the outgoing preloaders.

As employees we have a responsibility to show up to work on time and be ready to pass thru security. As an employer, UPS has the responsibility to adequately design and staff its security to prevent unreasonable delays.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
i this this topic has way of the track. the topic is about if weigarten applys to UPS managers asking questions at the guard shack. we have always had (going out) to be searched at ups addison but this was done by Silverhawk Security and not ups management. now ups management has placed themselves in the guard shack and have been harassing people. but i do like the idea of getting paid to stand inline for a security check:happy-very:

i this this topic has way of the track. the topic is about if weigarten applys to UPS managers asking questions at the guard shack. we have always had (going out) to be searched at ups addison but this was done by Silverhawk Security and not ups management. now ups management has placed themselves in the guard shack and have been harassing people. but i do like the idea of getting paid to stand inline for a security check:happy-very:
if mgmt is there and wants to start playing talky- talky ask if you`re on the clock. if not they can wait or put you on. i would ask for a steward if it headed in the direction that one was needed.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Are you on the clock when all this is going on, if not tell the manager to take a hike, better yet just completely ignore him like he's not there. If you are on the clock and you could or feel like you could be haeding to discipline from the discusion, ask for a steward.

brownIEman

This doesn't seem to be a gray area to me.
We are paid for our time and if the circumstances change to were it takes an inordinate amount of time to negotiate the security check, then maybe UPS will need to expand their guard shack capabilities.
In the workplace to classify something as a normal day to day delay to me is an oxymoron.
It would be better labeled as planned opulence if it was permitted to continue.
Insufficient parking would be a parallel issue.
A grievance seems to the right course of action.

What an awesome message to send to the hourlies working in the hub. You need more hours this week? Just call in a threat, UPS will have to pay you extra time for the effort they put into keeping you safe from your own threat.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We are paid for our time and if the circumstances change to were it takes an inordinate amount of time to negotiate the security check, then maybe UPS will need to expand their guard shack capabilities.
In the workplace to classify something as a normal day to day delay to me is an oxymoron.

What an awesome message to send to the hourlies working in the hub. You need more hours this week? Just call in a threat, UPS will have to pay you extra time for the effort they put into keeping you safe from your own threat.

Awesome. Just awesome.

How do you get that from my post?
Can you read?

Nitelite

Awesome. Just awesome.

That was just... stupid.

brownIEman

How do you get that from my post?

OK, I will take you through it step by step...

But he should still grieve to get paid from his scheduled start time. There is no way he should be docked that time because there is a line to get into the building.

Over said they should be paid to wait in line for the extra security to check in due to the threat...

From reading all the posts it appears there was a unscheduled delay and he has the right to grieve. But if this was a normal day to day delay,at that start time,then he should plan accordingly to arrive with time to spare.
Depending on our start or leave time at the Cach you can sail right through the shack or be in line with hundreds,same as finding a parking spot. It`s not UPS` fault that you arrive with others unprepared to go through.

Cach replied it was a bit of a grey relating to what a normal day to day delay might be...

To which you replied that there was no grey area, and that absolutely the grieving to get pay for standing in line for the extra security due to the threat is absolutely the right thing to do. In essance you are arguing it is absolutely morally incumbent on UPS to pay you for the time it take UPS to make sure you are safe from a phoned in threat.

Can you read?

Yes I can.