Does your Center make or lose money on Sat Air

UPSGUY72

My building currently loose money delivering Sat Air do to a contract seniority issue that has come about with the adding of TCDs. All the PT Sat Air drivers signed the list to be TCD from June 1 to Jan 15. That being said they move from the PT seniority list to the FT seniority list for the time they TCD and aren't considered PT Sat Air Drivers for the time. So there is no Sat PT air drivers and they can't fill those position with more PT because the TCD will be going back to them After Jan 15. So they have to put a list up for FT drivers to sign every week to drive on Sat and the Sat Air drivers don't have enough FT seniority to make the cut. So they are paying FT drivers $51.54 hr to drive on Sat.

I had 20 stops today and it took me 4 hrs they paid me almost $10.50 a stop. That's some of the easiest $200 + dollars you can make.

Any other building have this problem.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

In my building PT are picked first. Then Art 22.3 air drivers and last are FT package car drivers. We do not have any TCD drivers so they are not in the loop. Laid off FT package car drivers can pick up extra hours on Saturday but do not have a 8 hour guarantee.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'd be shocked if my center made money on air on an average Saturday. A lot of our stops are way out in the boonies delivering parts to farms.

PT Car Washer

I'd be shocked if my center made money on air on an average Saturday. A lot of our stops are way out in the boonies delivering parts to farms.
Even in a metro center delivering 5 to 10 stops an hour at the best I doubt if UPS makes a profit. So much for Saturday ground delivery.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I'm surprised you guys even have hours available. Guys in my building are running out hours mid-day Friday.

browner89

My building currently loose money delivering Sat Air do to a contract seniority issue that has come about with the adding of TCDs. All the PT Sat Air drivers signed the list to be TCD from June 1 to Jan 15. That being said they move from the PT seniority list to the FT seniority list for the time they TCD and aren't considered PT Sat Air Drivers for the time. So there is no Sat PT air drivers and they can't fill those position with more PT because the TCD will be going back to them After Jan 15. So they have to put a list up for FT drivers to sign every week to drive on Sat and the Sat Air drivers don't have enough FT seniority to make the cut. So they are paying FT drivers $51.54 hr to drive on Sat.

I had 20 stops today and it took me 4 hrs they paid me almost $10.50 a stop. That's some of the easiest $200 + dollars you can make.

Any other building have this problem.

Those 20 stops are ~$300 for UPS just for being Saturday, does the NDA shipping fee make up enough to cover the costs of those packages making it from their origin to you? Who knows.

If they do make money they certainly aren't making much.

clean hairy

I care, we need the company to make money so we make money, this isn't congress where we just create it from nothing.
They makes billions in profit each year, if they lose some pocket change on Sat Air, not our problem.
I would guess what they lose on Sat Air is less than what they flush down the toilet on Orion each year.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
They makes billions in profit each year, if they lose some pocket change on Sat Air, not our problem.
I would guess what they lose on Sat Air is less than what they are throwing into Orion each year.
First it's Saturday air, next it's Orion, then it's service failures during Christmas, then it's losing a major shipper, then it's a new law being passed. Death by a thousand cuts is what turns big company's from black to red.

And that is what it comes down to. If they have to lose a little to make big money with a bunch of companies it makes sense.
Guess it depends on what market you are in. They have to offer the service everywhere to get the business.

All of our Saturday air drivers are part time and usually at the bottom of the pay scale.

They also pick up a lot of air package.

barnyard

KTM rider
Have any of you checked to see what it costs to ship a Saturday NDA??? I am guessing that Saturday air volume is the 2nd most profitable stuff we deliver. Paying a full seniority driver time and a half is cheaper than paying straight time with benefits.

I would bet that Saturdays are the only days that some rural routes in my building show a profit.

Last week, I delivered 9-60lb NDA packages to a road construction business. I asked the guy that signed, "Any idea what the shipping charges were?"

To which he replied, "I do not care. We bill the machine that broke down at $5500 an hour and cannot use it until these parts go into it."

Someone getting something on Saturday needs it really bad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center uses casual drivers who may not have gotten their 40 during the week to drive on Saturday. Our delivery area is limited only to those areas with commit times during the week. We average 20-30 stops using just one (sometimes two) driver(s) on Saturdays.

We do add drivers on really busy Saturdays, such as the day before Mother's Day.

I think our center at least breaks even or may even make money on Saturday.