Does your center seem to have more injuries lately

C

chipperv

gman, you are so correct. if you get injured on the job report it right away. all management cares about is their numbers. work safe out there. don't cut corners or skip your lunch. they are the ones who come up with our "planned day", and it's a joke. they keep tweaking those numbers so tight, workers are going to get hurt more.

F

feguy

I am now convinced you people make this stuff up. I will be with UPS 25 years very soon and have never been injured on the job. I know injuries are down in my operation, because I am on the CHSP committee. I believe they are down in my district as well, and have no reason to doubt the numbers.
I've never been asked to skip a lunch, or run, ever, and I never do. Are you really hearing what your supervisors are saying? Or are you coloring it to be what you want to hear.
This company cannot be run this differently in different areas. As I've said before, I am in the Soutwest Region.

C

crappie

yes fe guy very few old timers run and cut corners .The new drivers are under pressure to scratch, and to do that they have to cut corners, drive to fast bad drs etc...
When a new driver scratchs a route they tell great job.
<font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> it you followed the methods UPS would have to hire a ton more drivers.

T

toonertoo

}This company cannot be run this differently in different areas. As I've said before, I am in the Soutwest Region
FE guy I want some of what youve been smoking. You are in dreamland dude, You make it sound like fairytale land, if its that way in the "Soutwest" region I am on my way.
By the way..........>>>> I am geographically challenged..........., exactly where is "that" region.??

W

wily_old_vet

Does FE stand for fedex. Happy that you've been here 25 years without an injury. Most of us aren't that lucky. Why don't you register and be aregular participant.

C

chipperv

FE, there were 7 drivers out from our center with injuries this past peak. Why was this? Some of the resons I can think of is our time studies suck, longer hours, and drivers not getting assistance for handling over 70 lb. packages, like UPS said we would when they implemented that service. I am proud of you for not ever getting an injury, but there are a lot of people who have been. It seems like there are more injuries now then ever before. Could it be UPS is looking at their value of their stock, and not the well being of their workers?

G

gman

Southwest is out in the desert. I don't think they even have to lock their bulk head doors there.

I went 25 years without an injury too. But God help you once you get one. There is no sympathy. You don't get a break. L.P. has said to me on more than one occasion when hurt, if you can't do the job thats not our problem.

I was on that CHSP committee for years. I tried to use my experience to help others avoid the probelms I had. I hope your heath contiues for you but you are at about the age things just don't seem to bend or stretch as well.

T

toonertoo

GMAN, I know where southwest is I was being critical of his spelling of it soutwest)
Just my critical side showing, u no how i hat speling eroars. Forgive me for being so critical of some guy who has been so perfect, or lucky that he never has gotten injured.

O

ok2bclever

Locked bulkhead doors is a national policy and a federal law.

That includes the Soutwest.
biggrin.gif

O

ok2bclever

Yep, we didn't have power steering, fans, cameras, diads, gps and many other things depending on how far you want to go back.

Your point?

And not all of the Southwest is desert.
rolleyes.gif

O

ok2bclever

At your age, seniority and injury history you should be making a case to your management group to get you one of the newer trucks with superior ergonomics.

Power steering, fans are standard (and you really don't want the gps).
thumbsup.gif

C

chipperv

I'm from New Mexico. I think that is in the south west. Her in New Mexico, we observe all the methods that UPS has the nation doing. I have been with them since 1983, and had a back injury last July. I have not been able to return to my driving job. My doctor, as well as a company physical therapist, has put some restrictions on me. I've been really bummed out because, I don't think UPS is going to take me back. I got two teenage sons who live with me, and workman's comp said this is as good as my back is going to get. I have severe back pain everyday, and can't do anything that has lifting or bending involved. They put me on permanant partial disabilaty. I'm getting $140 a week to live on. I'm hoping UPS can find me something to do, if not, the outlook is not good. I'm really stressing. Does anyone have some suggestions? I wish I could get back to my job as a package car driver, but my back is gone. I went to an attorny after putting up with the company doctors for four months. My doctor is telling me to do something else. I'm just having a hard time giving up something that I put into for so many years. I miss my fellow drivers. I was having that wonderful three day production ride with a supervisor, and on the third day, I was following the methods. I went to move some packages on shelf four, and one package was 90lbs. It was not marked or highlighted. I felt a sharp pain in my back. My sup looked at it, and said it should not have even been loaded there. This was 12:15 in the afternoon. I continued to work until 8:45 that night. Limping, and pain shooting down my leg, I managed to get through the day. That was the last day I worked as a package car driver. It's almost been a year now, and I'm getting $140 a week now.I'm really bummed out. Can anyone give me some advise on what to do? I'm tired of being in pain everyday, and the bills aren't going away. If you can help me, please let me know.

U

upsdude

"Power steering, fans are standard (and you really don't want the gps)."

Ok2B,

I'm in SE Virginia, average summer temps 85-95 degrees with high humidity. Sticky miserable heat for sure. I inquired about a fan last month and was told that fans are not guaranteed for every package car. Supposedly the fans are only offered to "high heat" areas and we arent an approved area. Safety First, Target Zero.

O

ok2bclever

upsdude,

I was referring to the new vehicles, not all vehicles and as everything else I suppose even this varies throughout UPS.
sad1.gif

U

upsdude

Ok2B.....
It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of contracts and policy nation wide. Im not sure theres enough paper.

I do have power steering in my P1000, and to think I was once very happy with a P800. LOL!

C

crappie

Chippery from what I can tell if you get hurt on the job and can not go back to driving UPS will not work with you on getting a job back inside.If you get hurt off work and can not go back UPS will help you go back inside.Funny thing aaa.Are you on workers comp?