Does Your Management Team Have Your Cell #?

Notretiredyet

As a steward everyone has my number, it goes with the job. But we have a OC who has been know to say things over the phone that would never be sent over the DIAD. Because of this and the fact that we pay the bill, I've always been opposed to communicating using our personal cellphones.

Marne Vet

My center manager, and all my sups have my number. They only use it if they need to, and I don't care if they call me. I also have most of the drivers in my Center, so if I'm told to get ahold of someone to help, or whatever, I can find them easily. Different strokes for different folks. Not a big deal in my eyes. I have a jailbroken iPhone with an app called iBlacklist. I can block numbers and text messages from anyone, and they'll get a busy signal if they try to call, so it's no big deal to me if "work" has my number. The only pet peeve I have at work concerning my phone is when customers leave notes asking me to call them. Nope. Not doing it, ever. Had a customer years ago leave me a note, so I called her. She came to the door, signed, and I thought that was that. At 3 AM in the morning my phone rang and it was her angry boyfriend yelling "Who's number is this?!?!" After I said "The UPS guy that made a delivery earlier in the day" after I realized why the number looked familiar, that was the last time I ever called a customer on my personal phone. They can leave notes to call till they're blue in the face. Not doing it ever again.

9.5er

I feel the same way as Marne Vet. I don't mind using my phone to call other drivers or the center if I need to. I will call customers sometimes also. What burns me up though is when a customer expects me to call them. Had a shoe store that would not put a door bell at their back door. Called in a complaint when one driver went in the front door. Wanted us to call them to open the door. There are dents in the back door now where I would beat the door down with the diad to let them know I was there.
That is one customer I was glad to see switch to Fex ex.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My supervisor has mine and I have is. I also have a special ringtone for him, sometimes I don't answer it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
My manager asked me for my cell number today. I told him if you need to get in touch with me you can use the DIAD or my home phone. Once in a while he'll mention in a PCM for drivers to stop texting and calling him for days off, favors, etc. To me, the only persons cell he should have is the stewards. Maybe I'm being old fashioned.

Not this thread...again...again...again...

ok here we go.

Do you get the UPS discount at your carrier?

Do you write it off on your taxes as a business expense?

Then answer your phone when we call just like I answer when you call me on my cell, simple concept

If we call you a ridicules amount of times then we need to work on some management skills prior to your departure from the building.

I call maybe 3 drivers a day, other wise they text or call the center.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Not this thread...again...again...again...

ok here we go.

Do you get the UPS discount at your carrier?

Do you write it off on your taxes as a business expense?

Then answer your phone when we call just like I answer when you call me on my cell, simple concept

If we call you a ridicules amount of times then we need to work on some management skills prior to your departure from the building.

I call maybe 3 drivers a day, other wise they text or call the center.
I do not use the UPS discount with my carrier.
I do not right off any of my cell bill on my taxes.
Received a text message on my cellphone from my on car this morning instructing me to run my air in trace. Chose to ignore it and ran the air first.
No reason that message couldn't have been sent through the DIAD.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I do not use the UPS discount with my carrier.
I do not right off any of my cell bill on my taxes.
Received a text message on my cellphone from my on car this morning instructing me to run my air in trace. Chose to ignore it and ran the air first.
No reason that message couldn't have been sent through the DIAD.

Like I said management needs some training. I have ODS installed on 9 computers and can send a message to your DIAD from any office.

brostalss

Management will never get my cell number. It's my phone. UPS doesn't even know I have a phone. I hide it when leaving. No silly sticker.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Management will never get my cell number. It's my phone. UPS doesn't even know I have a phone. I hide it when leaving. No silly sticker.

If that method is what works for you then it is certainly your right. My experience with my management team has been different; they have my number, I have theirs, and I will be as reasonable and fair regarding the use of my cell phone as they choose to be. So far, it hasnt been a problem and I wont ever allow it to become one.

brownrod

Like I said management needs some training. I have ODS installed on 9 computers and can send a message to your DIAD from any office.

You need to talk to my center manager. He seems phobic of DIAD communication and expects we use our personal phone. Sorry, the moment he not only expects me to use my phone but feels it's OK to call and disrespect me means I no longer have a phone that UPS gets the number to.

If a phone is necessary for me to complete my duties then UPS can purchase one for me.

raceanoncr

My thot on this:

Years ago, when I first started feeders, power hookups for radio were taboo. No CBs. Of course, some drivers were hot-wiring some in, with their own aerials, etc. Company went ballistic, firing some over, "stealing power".

Well....then was written in contract that we could have CBs. THEN company would say, "Do you pass So-n-So? If you see them, get them on CB and tell em...blah". NOW, company was more than happy to use them as dispatch tools.

Here, I said, HERE, company made such an issue when cells were first on person that you had to hide em just or else they'd confiscate, even with new security in place. NOW, they want to use em to dispatch when we got along just fine before?

I know, I'll catch flak over this but I feel they fought me tooth and nail over EVERYTHING in years past. NOW it's OK? I know manglers SHOULD be trained in dispatch but know they AREN'T. Is that MY fault? When I'm not trained, I, either GET retrained or get FIRED!

When I was steward, drivers DID have my cell, manglers NOT. Some, maybe most, drivers here have given mgt their numbers and ALL have regretted it. Getting calls on road to divert for pickup, etc. I was TOLD I had to give em my # but never did. Sorry, bash me for my view. I don't care. It's mine.

Marne Vet

With iOS7 you can block people right in their contact info. No need for an external app.

iBlacklist takes it a few steps further though. You can block all 800 or 888 numbers, or block everyone that isn't on your Contacts List. I also like being able to block random accidental text messages.