Does Your Management Team Have Your Cell #?

Z

ZQXC

Think about how ridiculous this argument is:

Yes, they have my cell #

They also have my social security #, my drivers license #, my landline #, my home address, full names of family members, a 30 year work history, and God knows what else..........

Just don't answer the damn phone

I don't answer any # that is not already in my phone book; it could be the Pope........

You have one missed call

browniehound

Answer to op: NOPE, those idiots don't even know I have a cell, & it's gonna stay that way. If you wanna get ahold of me, the diad seems to work fine.
I hate to say it but management knows you have a cell phone. Knowing the # is a different story. Everybody has a cell phone and I'm sure your sup. is smart enough to know this.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes, and it's :censored2: annoying. It works to my advantage that I can confirm a sick call (we call a voicemail box to call off) by texting my sup...but getting texts to come in early or texts during the sort about add/cuts or closed stops is a PITA.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This all boils down to setting and maintaining appropriate boundaries.

It is possible to give your cell# to management and not allow them to abuse it. You just have to be willing and able to stand up for yourself.

Anything that facilitates clearer communication is a win-win.

beentheredonethat

Not this thread...again...again...again...

ok here we go.

Do you get the UPS discount at your carrier?

Do you write it off on your taxes as a business expense?

Then answer your phone when we call just like I answer when you call me on my cell, simple concept

If we call you a ridicules amount of times then we need to work on some management skills prior to your departure from the building.

I call maybe 3 drivers a day, other wise they text or call the center.

Dragon,
While I think what you are doing of calling 3 drivers a day is pretty reasonable, as you know, we have a lot of unreasonable center managers. UPS pays 0 dollars to have the carrier give a discount to UPSers. That argument makes no sense. That discount is offered by the carriers. They do this to hundreds of other company employees. What people do or don't do on tax writeoffs none of us know. But that is between the IRS and themselves. The IRS doesn't ask UPS does employee X use his personal phone for work related reasons? Even if they did ask, do you think corporate UPS would say yes? Heck no.. They wouldn't since that would probably make us liable to purchase phones for all drivers.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I always write off 1200 bux a year for my cell on my taxes. That's what the guy at HR BLOCK puts in for me. Been doing it that way for at least 5 years now. I don't ask questions about itbut that's what he puts in there lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The DIAD is your communication tool.

-Bug-

There are many times when it is advantageous to use your cellphone at work. Peak is a prime example. I would much rather set up my own helper meet point then have the helper coordinator have to do it for me.

I had a misload Friday which I sent in through the DIAD. On-car sent me a text asking where I could leave it for him to pickup. One text, one reply. Much easier than "please call the center".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The DIAD is your communication tool.

-Bug-
The DIAD is my primary communication tool.

Sometimes I find it advantageous to use my cell phone as a secondary communication tool.

My rule is that any management person who wants my personal cell phone number can have it...as long as they give me their personal cell phone number. Abuse of cell phone numbers can go both ways......:devil3:

browniehound

There are many times when it is advantageous to use your cellphone at work. Peak is a prime example. I would much rather set up my own helper meet point then have the helper coordinator have to do it for me.

I had a misload Friday which I sent in through the DIAD. On-car sent me a text asking where I could leave it for him to pickup. One text, one reply. Much easier than "please call the center".

I'm all for cell phone use at work and giving my # to management. However, in this particular situation I'm against it. During peak I already have plenty on my plate and there is no room on it to contact my helper everyday from my cell phone.

Its the helper coordinators job to set up the meets for the drivers and helpers. Seriously, what else do they do besides call helpers and set up meet points? Last peak, the helper coordinator gave me the helper time card and said "here, your helper is John Smith, call him and set up a meet point".

My response : no, you call him and you call him everyday to confirm. Its YOUR job, not MINE.

And to put this thread to bed I have a solution. Everyone who is ok with management calling them on their cell, great. Keep doing it.

For the ones who refuse to give their number or talk to management of their cell phones I give this advice: a new technology was introduced to the mass market sometime in the early 90's. Its called caller ID. You can actually see and know who is calling you. Can you believe this? lol.

Seriously guys, just look at the caller ID and don't answer the phone if you really are that adamant about not talking or giving your cell to the management team.

Really, how hard is that?

I don't know, maybe you just need something to beat your chest about. Like "I am driver. I am union. I don't give number to you. You don't pay my bill. I never give number because you don't pay bill. I like make life difficult for you and me. I no use cell phone for UPS. I need prove point" or something like that.

Following this logic, when they call you at your home you don't complain that they don't pay your landline bill, do you? Why is a cell any different in this day and age where 99.99999999% of the plans are unlimited texts and minutes?

I'm just saying. Its a ridiculous argument and to the general public or general person, you look pretty stupid. Nobody outside the local union is going to side with your argument.

If you don't use you cell at UPS for UPS business you are living in the 20th century when everyone else is living in the 21st. Anyone outside of UPS would think you're odd.

To not use your cell phone if you're broken down in the UPS truck is insane? Why not is what they would all ask and you would respond with the "UPS doesn't pay my bill" broken record, ignorant to the century, line.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's say I do let the helper coordinator do his/her job. You are talking a minimum of 3-4 cellphone calls and/or ODS messages just to do what I can do with one quick phone call.

I make call. I set time. I am driver.

wayfair

swollen member
helper coordinator asks me for meet point and time before I leave building...

I don't carry phone on my person, it's in the back of the truck with the rest of my personal stuff..

I work for UPS not ATT