Dog attack - Ok drivers. What you you do?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
That's a good question. Why is the casual able to complete the delivery and you aren't/can't/won't?

Perhaps the dogs weren't out the next day. Most dogs on my route are my buddies but I have a couple, with the customers permission, that I just leave at the end of the driveway.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Are you saying the drivers who cover your area are working unsafely?

Or are you being overly cautious?
One had been bit by a dog at a house I wouldn't deliver to. In Georgia, any house that has a dog that has bitten someone must display a state numbered diamond sign with a depiction of a dog attacking a person. To answer your question, the house had one of these already.

As far as me being overly cautious, that's what we are trained to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are trained to deliver packages in the safest and most efficient manner possible.

Dogs are part of the job. While I am in no way saying you should put yourself in harms way, it does sound as though you are being overly cautious.

scisector9

Why do they train us to not give dogs biscuits? Every single rural route I cover has some sort of dog treat on car. Is the theory if you don't have a biscuit animal may become aggressive?

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We are trained to deliver packages in the safest and most efficient manner possible.

Dogs are part of the job. While I am in no way saying you should put yourself in harms way, it does sound as though you are being overly cautious.

Have you ever been bitten?

oldngray

nowhere special
Why do they train us to not give dogs biscuits? Every single rural route I cover has some sort of dog treat on car. Is the theory if you don't have a biscuit animal may become aggressive?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I seldom gave dogs treats but got to know the dogs and made friends with them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Dogs aren't part of my job. No package is worth risking my safety. Dogs change based on age, owners treatment towards them, and territory. I can't predict what a dog will do, neither can you, if you feel safe delivering to houses where dogs are, so be it. Ang house I don't feel safe delivering to, I won't. Fortunately UPS affords all of us the discretion to deliver or not. I use my discretion as I see fit to keep me safe as possible.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Sent using BrownCafe App
Or the fact it may die right there in front of you right after you gave it a biscuit it chocked on as the neighbors kids are playing in the sprinklers, crying to their parents while they take a video of you.

Also it might be allergic to the ingredients in the biscuit.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Also I love when they blame the driver. I hit a dog when I was 19 in my own car, thing just blazed out into the road I was a mess. Felt so bad for the dog, then the owner comes out screaming about how he was going to sue me and called the cops.

Thankfully the cops were on my side and nothing happened. But I still felt bad.
I've hit a few dogs in the road before. Never once felt bad. If I know whose it is go tell them I hit your dog then leave. If not keep on trucking.

I've actually been told to just keep moving if it's on public ground but prefer to cover my ass.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Bag it and drop it. Simple as that. I don't get out of the car for any dog that I'm not 100% sure about but only time I'll bring it back is signature required.