Dog bite to the face

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes it makes the job even harder with sig req, I usually slide it on the porch, and run, I mean walk briskly back to the truck. I especially love when their is no screen and it opens inward. there ya are fresh meat. This is one of the reason I make the big bucks..........
Since this has become such a big issue with the responsibility aspect of ownership and everthing else on the downward spiral, why sinces safety is soooo important, have they not focused on something more than fighting it off with your diad.
Why dont we have pcms with ceasar milan or someone like that, come give us instruction?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have had dog safety PCM's in my center; however, as with most PCM's, most of the guys were more concerned with what was on their cars rather than what was being said which was a shame because the folks giving the PCM were certified dog trainers and knew what they were talking about.

There has only been one PCM in recent memory where every single driver paid attention for the entire PCM. This one was about proper stretching and they brought in a very attractive personal trainer from one of our local gyms to give the presentation. You could have heard a pin drop for the 10 minutes or so that she spent demonstrating (very effectively, I should add) various stretching exercises.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have never had such training, and I always pay attention. I would even watch an attractive young female in awe. (not gay) I appreciate the human body, and its mechanics.
I would also watch a guy, and I would definetely pay attention to a canine expert. for which I feel in my center I am probably the most qualified. Own large dogs, love large dogs, love all animals...any dog can ruin your day. The whys and hows of why they are mean, is huge. The fact that they are is undisputable. A "guard dog' trained by a professional such as one trained into police work is one thing.
A dog with an attitude, owned by a person without a clue is a whole different animal. That is a dangerous animal. They sense the owners fear and react.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the company were truly serious about protecting us from dog bites, we could check out a can of pepper spray when we pulled our DIADS in the morning and then return the cans at night.

As with most things safety-related, the company is more concerned with pretending to care about our safety and minimizing its own liability rather than doing something that actually makes a difference.

Actual safety improvements cost money. Word games, slogans, posters and "awareness" campaigns are a lot cheaper and easier for the company to manage...and can be used to reinforce the notion that any accident or injury is always the fault of the driver.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont agree with pepper spray.
When the wind is a blowing, the pepper spray may blow right back atcha, then you are all laying in a pile. Stun gun alll the way, Not approved by ups.

washington57

Sue the hell out of her!

There are very few practical reasons for people to own dogs. Oh but you love your dog? Don't care one bit. Unless you need it to get around or live on a farm you shouldn't have one.

To me dogs are a danger and a nuisance. JMO.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's a bit harsh, don't ya think? I don't mean the "sue the hell out of her" part---I agree with that and would have her pay my legal fees as well.

Does there have to be a practical reason for everything? I would love to have a dog but I live in a condo and I am gone from 8 in the morning until 6:30 or later at night. For those "practical" reasons I don't have one.

Dogs give unconditional love.

I'll bet you were the one who didn't cry when Old Yeller died.

washington57

It would be fine if there were more responsible dog owners but from my experience I have met many more irresponsible dog owners than responsible.

rod

Retired 22 years
If the company were truly serious about protecting us from dog bites, we could check out a can of pepper spray when we pulled our DIADS in the morning and then return the cans at night.

As with most things safety-related, the company is more concerned with pretending to care about our safety and minimizing its own liability rather than doing something that actually makes a difference.

Actual safety improvements cost money. Word games, slogans, posters and "awareness" campaigns are a lot cheaper and easier for the company to manage...and can be used to reinforce the notion that any accident or injury is always the fault of the driver.

Use a can of bee / wasp spray. It sprays 20+ feet and isn't illegal.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Use a can of bee / wasp spray. It sprays 20+ feet and isn't illegal.

Bee/wasp spray is poisonous. Its meant to kill pests, not deter dogs. And every can I have ever seen is way too large to clip onto a belt or carry in your pocket.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There are many responsible dog owners. I dont let my dogs out to greet anyone. Once they meet them, the beg me to let them out. I dont force them on anyone.
I have no kids now at home, so my dogs are my new kids. There is no better love than a dog.

barnyard

KTM rider
I carry pepper spray. I have used it twice and both times it worked as advertised. I do not carry it all the time, the nozzle has it's own belt clip, so I slide it on the DVIR slot. It is easy to grab and I only pull it out when I am in a strange area or where I know there is a problem dog. The beauty part of pepper spray is that you do not have to hit the dog for it to be effective. A foot away is close enough to cause them to yelp and run home.

My wife and I were at a fundraiser a month ago in the town where I deliver. One of the folks that we had dinner with introduced me to one of his 'friends.' Turned out, he owned one of the dogs I sprayed. He remembered me and I asked where he lived. He said the street and I rattled off all the details of the event that led up to me spraying the dog. Everyone looked at him and 1 asked how he could let the dog run loose. He ended up getting all irritated and left. The guy that introduced me said that he introduced me to start up the conversation to show that he was wrong and that in a group where both sides were known, he would lose.

Evidently, the way he told the story, I chased the dog onto his property and sprayed it when it was trying to get to the back door. I actually sprayed it on the road, the dog was between me and my truck and was not going to let me come any closer. The owner saw the whole thing and did not call the dog until after I sprayed.

The key with using pepper spray is that you have to use it on public property, like a roadway. If you spray a dog on it's owner's property, you could be liable.

barnyard

KTM rider
Was there any fallout after your conversation with the dog owner?

I sprayed the dog 4ish years ago and met him last month. The 2 times I sprayed dogs, I drove down the road, parked and called the center and told them EXACTLY what happened. In the case where the guy saw me, I made sure that my supe knew that the guy saw the whole thing.

AFAIK, the guy never called in.

Where I am, it is legal to carry pepper spray. I know that it is not legal in some states. I buy mine from a police supply store. Another guy in the center uses bear spray. Bigger can and has a little longer range.

In the other case, I sprayed the dog as it was jumping into the cab, while I was parked in the neighbors driveway. I also called the sheriff. Turned out that dog had bit the mailman, FedEx ground and air guys too. Mine was the 1st report where the dog bit on someone else's property. The sheriff contacted the owner and the dog was put down.

I love dogs, but have a very low tolerance level for aggressive dogs that chase me when they are off their property.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am a hardcore dog lover myself, but I strongly feel that a dog that attacks and bites a person without provocation is a danger to the community and needs to be euthanized. I agree that the owner is at fault for failing to train and properly secure the dog, but a dog that big that has shown aggression is too dangerous to be given a second chance.

When I was a kid our neighbors had a big German Shepherd that they allowed to run free and it used to chase kids. One day it attacked a 12 yr old girl who was delivering newspapers and it tore the hell out of her face and partially severed her ear. After the ambulance left, my dad went over to the owners house and informed them that they had one hour to get rid of the dog or he would shoot it the next time he saw it running free. They took the dog to the pound and had it put down.

We don't know what was going on inside the home that might have gotten the dog to such a state. I agree that dogs who attack without provocation most likely need to be put down, I just like to be sure of the facts.
This is a difficult situation. Most likely, what was going on in the house was the lack of training and establishing who was the alpha in the house. I have been a long time fan of the Dog Whisperer. I have trained my dogs using Cesar's methods. There is, typically, no reason why a dog who has bitten cannot be given a 2nd chance. Very few 'red zone' cases have to be euthanized. The owner is absolutely at fault and should be held accountable.

barnyard

KTM rider
Very few 'red zone' cases have to be euthanized.

Except everyday, lots of non 'red zone' dogs are put down just because a home could not be found. The "it's not the dog" stuff gets tiring. There are plenty of dogs that never, ever bite. Many at the local pound. Those are the dogs that deserve to be saved.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Except everyday, lots of non 'red zone' dogs are put down just because a home could not be found. The "it's not the dog" stuff gets tiring. There are plenty of dogs that never, ever bite. Many at the local pound. Those are the dogs that deserve to be saved.
I agree, absolutely. "It's not the dog" stuff is still very true. People breed dogs, people do not spay and neuter their dogs, people fight dogs, people do not properly train their dogs................... and the list goes on. I've worked in an animal shelter before, I've had to euthanize animals before. It's horrifying, the number of animals that are put to death everyday in the name of humanity. Make no mistake, it is humanity that has created the situation. If dogs were left to nature, like their cousins the wolves, nature would take care of the over population. But this is not to be. People have CREATED the dogs that we have now and we have to clean up the mess.

iowa boy

I agree, absolutely. "It's not the dog" stuff is still very true. People breed dogs, people do not spay and neuter their dogs, people fight dogs, people do not properly train their dogs................... and the list goes on. I've worked in an animal shelter before, I've had to euthanize animals before. It's horrifying, the number of animals that are put to death everyday in the name of humanity. Make no mistake, it is humanity that has created the situation. If dogs were left to nature, like their cousins the wolves, nature would take care of the over population. But this is not to be. People have CREATED the dogs that we have now and we have to clean up the mess.

100% agree with this post.^^^^