Dog Bite=Warning Letter

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
Tieguy-I knew I could count on you. Because I don't kiss butt, skip meal and get on my truck an hour early must mean I'm trying to screw up the operation. It's amazing. If the success of the company hinges on kissing butt, skipping meal and getting on my truck an hour early then we are all in trouble. While we are here....how's your dividend check doing?

now trick if you want to accuse everyone who actually tries to work with management of being early starting, lunch skipping company kiss asses then I really think its also fair you let me accuse anyone with that mindset of being a back stabbing , screw up the company every chance they get malcontent. Why is it you are supposed to be allowed to maintain such a screwed up perspective and I am not? See my friend everytime you open your mouth and spew out such bull**** you in fact do undermine the morale of those around you. Why not do me a favor and let me screw up my own morale on my own without your help?:thumbup1:

S

speeddemon

tie, hes allowed to spew because hes speaking the truth, and you know it. I know, I know, you wont ever admit it. Thats ok though, we have many years to get you there.

tieguy

Banned
Ah so your point then is that everyone who has a good relationship with management starts early , skips lunch etc.?

Go ahead my friend make your case , this should be good. :lol:

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
ja4079 said:
... Home owners said dog did not bite!!! I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one.
This is drifting a bit from the topic...but here I go:

As a dog owner, I have learned that the answer to that question is always "YES". Some people, once told that the dog does not bite, ignore the dog...and ignore any signs that the dog is scared/agitated/etc. (I'm not saying that the driver mentioned in this topic did anything like this - it sounds like a sneak attack that the driver could not have avoided.)

When I was a local-delivery driver, I never asked about the dog. I paid attention to the dog's behaviour, looking for signs of fear or agression...and leaving an out for myself if the dog were to suddenly change mood.

(My local-delivery work, in the 1970s, was not for UPS. It was for a local company. After I left, it became Menlo Logistics....)

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
tieguy said:
Ah so your point then is that everyone who has a good relationship with management starts early , skips lunch etc.?

Go ahead my friend make your case , this should be good.
I had the idea that tieguy had been the one to make that point! Read this:
tieguy said:
trickpony1 said:
5) driver got warning letter because he isn't a kiss-ass, doesn't skip meal and won't get on his truck until his start time
Absolutely. Its important you try to be a dick and screw up the operation every day when you come to work so no one ever accuses you of being a kiss ass.
...which appears to be saying that getting-on-the-truck-at-start-time, taking-meal-breaks and not-kissing-ass is screwing up the operation...and that such a person deserves to be called "Dick" - apparently the main alternative to "kiss-ass".

I think it would be easy to jump to the conclusion that someone so dedicated to screwing up the operation would not have a good relationship with management. I suppose that is why I thought that tieguy was the one whose point was that everyone who has a good relationship with management starts early , skips lunch, etc.

tieguy

Banned
SeniorGeek said:
I had the idea that tieguy had been the one to make that point! Read this:

...which appears to be saying that getting-on-the-truck-at-start-time, taking-meal-breaks and not-kissing-ass is screwing up the operation...and that such a person deserves to be called "Dick" - apparently the main alternative to "kiss-ass".

I think it would be easy to jump to the conclusion that someone so dedicated to screwing up the operation would not have a good relationship with management. I suppose that is why I thought that tieguy was the one whose point was that everyone who has a good relationship with management starts early , skips lunch, etc.

actually my point was tongue in cheek. I actually think Trick is probably a decent guy ,probably holds us accountable to be the UPS we should be and occasionally fires a nuke when a bullet would have done the job. We joust a little every now and then and usually move on. spidey jumped in on this one for whatever reason. :confused:1

diadlover

Any sort of humor here is frowned upon. Everything is taken literally and a very few have a sense of humor.

diadlover: I think all UPS drivers are raging alcoholics who beat their spouses.

everyone else: OMG! I am running to Cheryl right now and have you banned from this site immediately!

As you can see, we have a large amount of crybabies here who love nothing more than to tattle tale on others. No wonder the Union is seeing a decline in members year after year.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ah.......Tie sir, Spidey has not posted on this thread. I think that spidey has not posted in a while. That was speed that posted.

Just to set the record straight, as you do enjoy being precise!

d

happybob

Feeders
It only took my getting bit once to know any yard that has a dog in it, leashed or not, I stay out of. I will honk my horn and yell out UPS to try and get the customers attention. If they don't come outside to meet me they don't get the delivery. I leave a note, at the front gate, mail box or anywhere I feel the customer will see it letting them know I wont enter the yard if the dog is out. I will not even try to establish if the dog is in an agitated state, just avoid them at all cost. I've had to jump fences in the past to avoid angree mutts and have learned the lesson well. No dog can be trusted. I try to remember the homes that have dogs and will make plenty of noise before opening a gate to the yard.

tieguy

Banned
dannyboy said:
Ah.......Tie sir, Spidey has not posted on this thread. I think that spidey has not posted in a while. That was speed that posted.

Just to set the record straight, as you do enjoy being precise!

d

I stand corrected . And thank you for the assist.

tieguy

Banned
Dudes has anyone been able to get an explanation from management on why they feel justified to give a warning letter for a dog bite?

mrbill

Its only a package.There is always the next day to make another attempt.NO package is worth it. I always put my foot against the door when I hear a DOG:w00t:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Frivolous warning letters are issued by management that should never have been allowed to supervise anything more than a garbage pickup detail. Basically it shows a total lack of the ability to grasp the reality of life so we just give them a warning letter. "See, that makes me feel so much better."

I have come to believe that some issue them just because they can.

Also, for those that dont know, warning letters can come back to bite you unless you file a letter of protest, or grieve them in a timely manor. IF you dont, then the company and the union both assume that the reason for the warning letter is valid, you agree with it, and any future warning letters you will get will have that much more clout when more severe action is contemplated. So dont just take them and throw them away, it can haunt you later.

d

D

devoted to brown

You are all haters and should be thankful you have a job. Better than flipping burgers, which is your education level.

local804

Last Thursday a dog bit a driver in my center. The wound required 15 stitches. He was bitten in the morning, finished the day, and then went to the hospital. Delivery sup left him at the hospital at 1:30 AM. The driver’s wife got out of bed, woke up the kids and picked him up. Driver came in on Friday and worked the entire day. Monday morning the driver was advised he would get a warning letter for getting a dog bite. We were all informed at this morning’s PCM, a warning letter will be issued for any injury. Why? Because it’s impossible to get hurt if you follow the methods. Driver knocked on the door, customer answered, dog ran out and bit the driver.

Simple solution to the problem...
I will make it short and simple.......

1. Have the driver pull his shop steward to the side and have them tell the manager they will grieve the letter.
2. The shop steward calls the business agent and the grievance gets on the way to the second level. The business agent then deals with the building manager directly and imo this gets squashed in 2 seconds. I understand UPS is all about safety but clearly something isnt right here.

W

westsideworma

You are all haters and should be thankful you have a job. Better than flipping burgers, which is your education level.

and what is your education level? With posts like this I'm guessing you're not even at the burger flipping plateau just yet. Personally, I have a degree and am working on my second and I yes I work at big brown (they're paying for for me to that second one). I know many drivers and other PTimers that also have degrees as well. Get to know the people before you make ignorant remarks such as that. :laugh:

Westmoreland1

sounds alot like my supervisor :who likewise is burning the candle @ both ends and soon will self destruct: what comes around ---------------- goes around-------------

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
and what is your education level? With posts like this I'm guessing you're not even at the burger flipping plateau just yet. Personally, I have a degree and am working on my second and I yes I work at big brown (they're paying for for me to that second one). I know many drivers and other PTimers that also have degrees as well. Get to know the people before you make ignorant remarks such as that. :laugh:

Agreed. I'm a grad student and I'M working for big brown. UPS'ers are some of the hardest working people I've ever met, no matter your education level. -Rock