dog bite?

rod

Retired 22 years
I would suggest that anyone who gets bit at the very least call the local law enforcement and report it. They will (if they are any good at all) at least get in touch with the owners and let them know their mutt is "on the list" of possible vicious animals. Also once again please don't let management play doctor. You could show up with your arm bit off and they would say "let it be". Home owners are suppose to have their pets under their control at all times. If the skin is broke go get a tetanus shot.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I love all animals. I get the biggest kick out of most of the dogs on my route. But until they get to know me, I treat them like a package leaking an unknown substance....treat as a haz mat, don't touch and notify supervision.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hey everyone, new member here. Been full time 6 months, with the company 4 years now. Was out in rural route on wednesday and walked up to the customer who was waiting in her door because "she didnt have any shoes on" , welp anyways as im handing the package to her a dog comes running out the door jumps up and bites my arm. Had a sweatshirt on, and 3 layers of underarmour on. Dont think it punctured my skin but it is bruised and you can definitely see where the teeth were. Told sup about it and we decided to let it be. Not trying to die of rabies. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, look forward to being a part of this forum.
SPHurley,

A bruise is a contusion and it is an injury.

It is critical to the integrity of a company that all injuries are reported.

A supervisor is a low level employee who doesn't have power or authority to ignore company procedure.

It is my opinion that this incident needs to be reported and failure to do so violates injury reporting procedures.

I am also of the opinion that all aggressive dog incidents should be reported and documented.

Did you ask your shop steward about this situation?

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously, there should be a test to join this forum.

If there were I am certain I would end up talking to myself.

To the OP---bruising of the skin is still considered to be an injury. You need to follow up with a physician over the weekend and file an injury report first thing Monday morning. You also need to pursue legal action against the homeowner for her failure to control her dog which resulted in physical injury to you. This time it was only a bruise----who knows what may happen next time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Don't get it twisted, I am a dog lover and would never hurt an animal on purpose. But you have to protect yourself if you fear any type of danger whether it be from an animal or a person. Ill give an :censored2: whoopin in a heartbeat lol.
Kicked a little rat terrier off me 3 times last week. Kept coming back for more. Told the owner next time he gets a diad to the head.

S

selfcancelsignal

I got bit by 2 bulldogs about 4 months in.,.must be a rookie thing...anyway had to get stitches in arm and leg..,I knew my skin was broken because it was gushing blood! I remember my sup telling me I needed to drive the truck back to the building, it was :censored2:ing hysterical!

Sent using BrownCafe App
WTF? Bulldogs are 1 of the funniest friendliest breeds out there. Must have had the typical jackass mean & negligent owner.

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal

SPHurleyGuy

Brownslave, I can promise you I'm no sup.
Just a rookie lookin for some vets honest opinions. Obviously, I got all that and then some.
I do appreciate everyones replies ( even the stubborn ones )
I'll be going in shortly to get it checked out. Wish me luck.

upschuck

You also need to pursue legal action against the homeowner for her failure to control her dog which resulted in physical injury to you.
I been bit two times and have never pursued legal action; I wasn't out to make a bunch of money because a dog punctured my skin. One did offer me an old car that he had been fixing up out of fear I was going to sue him, I suppose. The two dogs were quarantined, UPS paid all medical, I wasn't out anything, I am good. Unless the owner was grossly negligent, or there is lingering pain associated with the bite, then it was an accident, and I'd let it go. The owner has learned a lesson. JMO

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I been bit two times and have never pursued legal action; I wasn't out to make a bunch of money because a dog punctured my skin. One did offer me an old car that he had been fixing up out of fear I was going to sue him, I suppose. The two dogs were quarantined, UPS paid all medical, I wasn't out anything, I am good. Unless the owner was grossly negligent, or there is lingering pain associated with the bite, then it was an accident, and I'd let it go. The owner has learned a lesson. JMO

You are not suing them personally--- you are suing their homeowners insurance.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

You are not suing them personally--- you are suing their homeowners insurance.

Sent using BrownCafe App
And that makes it all the better, because you sue a corporation instead of a person.

Hypothetically, if I come to your home and Rowdy scratches me and breaks my skin, should I sue? If I go someplace where there is an inherent danger, I assume some of the risk.

Notretiredyet

Learn from your mistakes and you'll have a long career as a package rat. Next time you find yourself in that situation don't let the customer open the door. Most of us have been nailed by the dog that's never bitten anyone before. Make the customer put the dog somewhere secure before letting them sign for package. If it's a DR and you hear a dog barking, put it in a safe spot first then ring/ knock as you're walking away.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed but if you are injured performing your duties through no fault of your own you deserve to be compensated for those injuries.

It's not personal---it's business.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anybody who knows me knows that I am a big baby when it comes to dogs. I love them, I love giving them cookies and taking pictures of them in the cab of the truck, and I shed tears when one of "my" dogs on my route dies.

None of that changes the fact that any dog that bites a person without provocation needs to be put down. Immediately. Simply walking onto someones property to deliver a package is not provocation, and the owner is at fault for failing to properly socialize and secure the animal. Any driver who gets bitten needs to report and document the incident and the dog in question needs to get shot or taken to the vet and euthanized. It is against the very nature of a happy and well socialized dog to bite a person for no reason and a dog that bites is an unacceptable risk.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anybody who knows me knows that I am a big baby when it comes to dogs. I love them, I love giving them cookies and taking pictures of them in the cab of the truck, and I shed tears when one of "my" dogs on my route dies.

None of that changes the fact that any dog that bites a person without provocation needs to be put down. Immediately. Simply walking onto someones property to deliver a package is not provocation, and the owner is at fault for failing to properly socialize and secure the animal. Any driver who gets bitten needs to report and document the incident and the dog in question needs to get shot or taken to the vet and euthanized. It is against the very nature of a happy and well socialized dog to bite a person for no reason and a dog that bites is an unacceptable risk.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Would you consider legal action if the situation warranted it?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If the customer openned the door and let the dog out knowing the dog wanted a piece of me...damned straight I would be sue them...oh excuse me...their home owners insurance. Accidents happen but that is just out right stupidity.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I had a delivery yesterday where the homeowner's storm door was closed, and there were 4 excited/worked up dogs inside. As I put the box down and rang the bell, one of the larger dogs jumped up and pushed the storm door open. Had one of those dogs come at me, it would have been beat down, no apologies or anything.

If it's me or the animal, I will win everytime

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Would you consider legal action if the situation warranted it?
Absolutely. If the dog is vicous and bit me for no reason I would sue the owner in order to try and force him to have the dog put down.

When I was a kid the neighbors had a mean German Shepherd that kept getting out of its fence and attacking people. It bit an adult, who kicked it and was able to scare it away. The bite wasnt serious so nothing was done. A couple of weeks later, it attacked one of my friends, a 9 year old girl, and tore her ear and part of her lip off. After the ambulance left my dad went over to their house and told them they had one hour to get rid of the dog or he would come back over and shoot it himself. They got rid of the dog. Had something been done the first time the dog bit someone, my 9 yr old friend would not have required reconstructive surgery on her face.

Sent using BrownCafe App