dog bite?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only time I have ever been bitten by a dog in my 26 yrs as a driver, it was my fault. One of my regular customers had a sweet old yellow lab who was asleep on the porch and I wasnt watching where I put my feet and I wound up stepping on her tail. She woke up and snapped at my ankle reflexively, then cowered and whined and licked my hand when she realized what she had done. The top of my boot caught part of it, but it did slightly break the skin just above my boot top. I had recently had a tetanus shot, and her owner assured me that she was up to date on her rabies vaccine, so I just let it go and continued delivering there as though nothing had happened.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
My brother-in- law laughed at me when I told him his standard poodle would some day bite someone. The dog ended up biting a little neighbor girls face. After a $10,000 insurance payout (that's what he admitted to but I suspect more) I still rub it in every chance I get. He once told me it was the little girls fault for putting her face so close to his dog.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Hey everyone, new member here. Been full time 6 months, with the company 4 years now. Was out in rural route on wednesday and walked up to the customer who was waiting in her door because "she didnt have any shoes on" , welp anyways as im handing the package to her a dog comes running out the door jumps up and bites my arm. Had a sweatshirt on, and 3 layers of underarmour on. Dont think it punctured my skin but it is bruised and you can definitely see where the teeth were. Told sup about it and we decided to let it be. Not trying to die of rabies. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, look forward to being a part of this forum.
I've been bit at least 10 times. I have always grown up with dogs and had them. I ain't scared.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been bit at least 10 times. I have always grown up with dogs and had them. I ain't scared.

Wow--10 times? I learned my lesson after the 3rd time. I went from not being afraid of dogs to I wouldn't get out of the truck if a dog that had showed any aggression was loose outside.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Thanks for the honest replies guys. I appreciate the input. I think ill tough it out. If I stop posting in a week or so you'll know the rabies got me. But with them having a toddler around I would hope the dog was up to date anyways.
Again, look forward to being a member here.
Cheers to a long 24 1/2 years
butthurt.jpg

My first yr i was grabbed on the forearm by a charging mongrel as the lady yelled at the window that the dog didnt bite. She was an elderly lady. Lol thank God it was winter and was layered upped. Another time little girl open the door on me and 2 of them charged at me one circling me while the other was snapping at me. scary as they were dobermans. Lady was in the back thankfully and came out to stop any mauling that was bound to happen. She found it funny cause her driver leaves her crap at da mailbox usually. Another driver had a little mutt grab his pants and tried to shake it off him and da lady said he kicked it and called in a concern and wanted action. Another poor soul was mauled by a door being opened and was attacked on his hand. The lady had nerve to tell him to get off her property and wait in da truck for da cops and da sup. Cause he was getting blood all over her steps. She was so annoyed that he needed stitches

Indecisi0n

My first yr i was grabbed on the forearm by a charging mongrel as the lady yelled at the window that the dog didnt bite. She was an elderly lady. Lol thank God it was winter and was layered upped. Another time little girl open the door on me and 2 of them charged at me one circling me while the other was snapping at me. scary as they were dobermans. Lady was in the back thankfully and came out to stop any mauling that was bound to happen. She found it funny cause her driver leaves her crap at da mailbox usually. Another driver had a little mutt grab his pants and tried to shake it off him and da lady said he kicked it and called in a concern and wanted action. Another poor soul was mauled by a door being opened and was attacked on his hand. The lady had nerve to tell him to get off her property and wait in da truck for da cops and da sup. Cause he was getting blood all over her steps. She was so annoyed that he needed stitches

If the stitches bothered her hate to see how much the lawsuit affected her.

Rico

I got bitten, once, but a nasty mutt in didn't see who came out from under a car, and latched onto my thigh, just missing the family Jewels. I had 3 puncture wounds and was bleeding pretty well. Wound up getting a few stitches out of it. The Hospital contacted the Town's Animal Control officer, so I had to stop by there to fill out a report. Being that this was small town NH, the ACO worked out of her house. So I swing by, and fill out the report in her kitchen. Towards the end of the report, she tells me she needs pictures of the wound. Um, yea. I'm sitting in your kitchen, with your husband across the table from us, and you want me to drop my pants? Thank goodness he got up and said he didn't want to stick around for that.

Anyway, I got a call from he a couple of days later. Turns out when she stopped by to visit the owners, the dog bite her in almost exactly the same place. Within a week, the dog and it owners left the town, and a couple of months unpaid rent, never to be seen again.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I got bitten, once, but a nasty mutt in didn't see who came out from under a car, and latched onto my thigh, just missing the family Jewels. I had 3 puncture wounds and was bleeding pretty well. Wound up getting a few stitches out of it. The Hospital contacted the Town's Animal Control officer, so I had to stop by there to fill out a report. Being that this was small town NH, the ACO worked out of her house. So I swing by, and fill out the report in her kitchen. Towards the end of the report, she tells me she needs pictures of the wound. Um, yea. I'm sitting in your kitchen, with your husband across the table from us, and you want me to drop my pants? Thank goodness he got up and said he didn't want to stick around for that.

Anyway, I got a call from he a couple of days later. Turns out when she stopped by to visit the owners, the dog bite her in almost exactly the same place. Within a week, the dog and it owners left the town, and a couple of months unpaid rent, never to be seen again.
Sounds like just another normal day in NH

Indecisi0n

Can I see the pictures?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I met a new puppy on my route for the first time yesterday, it was a 6 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback that runs around on its owners fenced property. The owner was home, so I took a couple of minutes to get to know the puppy with its owner present, give it a couple of biscuits, let it jump up into the truck etc. etc.

I have taken this approach with every new dog on my route for the last 19 years I have been on it, which is why neither I nor any of the drivers who fill in for me have EVER been bitten.

First impressions are everything to a dog. That Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy's "first impression" of the UPS man and his truck is a positive one; belly rubs, cookies, and its owner being friendly and laughing with the driver.

The small investment of time I made to get to know that dog with its owner present will pay huge dividends in the years to come, both for myself and whoever replaces me when I retire. In a few years, that Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy will weigh over 100 lbs and be a big, scary looking dog....who loves the driver and thinks the UPS truck is there to bring him cookies and rub his belly.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rico

I found out from the ACO a few months later that this dog, and family, had a history of aggressive behavior and bites in other towns, and were always skipping out before things could catch up with them.

oldupsman

I met a new puppy on my route for the first time yesterday, it was a 6 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback that runs around on its owners fenced property. The owner was home, so I took a couple of minutes to get to know the puppy with its owner present, give it a couple of biscuits, let it jump up into the truck etc. etc.

I have taken this approach with every new dog on my route for the last 19 years I have been on it, which is why neither I nor any of the drivers who fill in for me have EVER been bitten.

First impressions are everything to a dog. That Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy's "first impression" of the UPS man and his truck is a positive one; belly rubs, cookies, and its owner being friendly and laughing with the driver.

The small investment of time I made to get to know that dog with its owner present will pay huge dividends in the years to come, both for myself and whoever replaces me when I retire. In a few years, that Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy will weigh over 100 lbs and be a big, scary looking dog....who loves the driver and thinks the UPS truck is there to bring him cookies and rub his belly.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Always used the same trick myself Sober with any new puppy. And it always worked.

Sometimes

Many years ago I made a delivery and as I got back to the truck their dog came at me, tried to bite my foot and I returned the favor by kicking it in the throat. Next morning I come to work, get called in the office and they ask me why I killed a customers dog in their house!!! Excuse me! In their house?
It was a projects kind of neighborhood and of course the kids were home and not in school. I had to go to the house with the center manager and another sup because they were going to sue UPS for killing their dog "in their house"!
I explained what really happened. Woman didn't believe me so my sups basically said see ya in court and I went back to work. Go figure!