Dog shot by cop.... right or wrong

rod

Retired 22 years
I fear for Brodie, if- God forbid- I was incapacitated and someone tried to get near me. He is very protective of me. He has found a home and a mom, since being rescued. Great Danes are notoriously protective, and he is a shining example. I try to dissuade him, but I am not as forthright as I should be, I suppose. I do realize it is my fault, not his.

The boys would be fine. They have been with me since puppyhood and are very social.

Keep your home owners policy paid up if the dog could be that aggresive. (you might want to make sure your policy will even cover your dog attacking someone).

rod

Retired 22 years
Recommend some Cesar Milan the "dog-whisperer", he is pretty good lot of it (free)online vids. To sum it up if your dog isn't behaving well, it's all your/family member's fault...
I got bit few times already and I was never mad at the dog, I was mad at their owners because lot of people don't get it that it's an animal not a baby with a human emotions.
Of course some group wanted to sue him too for being "aggressive" in the series(only in Amerika), but when they checked him out in real action, "they changed their state of mind" as Cesar says it.
"Becoming A Pack Leader" Clip - YouTube

And if you think he is a joke, how to train a pit-bull that like to bite people:
Dangerous Pitbull Terrier in Dog Whisperer Full Episode - YouTube

The Dog Whisperer is just another "reality" TV show that is scripted, rehearsed and edited to make someone look like a hero. Don't believe everything you see on the boob tube.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He's over 5 yrs old. He is a rescue that has decided I will be his last owner. I love him dearly, as he does me. The yahoo I live with is a jerk that takes pleasure in tormenting the dog.

rod

Retired 22 years
He's over 5 yrs old. He is a rescue that has decided I will be his last owner. I love him dearly, as he does me. The yahoo I live with is a jerk that takes pleasure in tormenting the dog.

Whenever I try to torment my cat he just ignores me. You would have better luck trying to torment a rock.

Just_another_day_at_work

The Dog Whisperer is just another "reality" TV show that is scripted, rehearsed and edited to make someone look like a hero. Don't believe everything you see on the boob tube.
Of course it's a show($$$), but you do agree if something wrong with the dog(if you got at as puppy) it has to do with the owner not the (animal)dog?!
If you go to a training session with professionals I am sure they will tell you about the same techniques how to train. To me he says a lot of similar way as I did with mine and the dog behaved well.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Of course it's a show($$$), but you do agree if something wrong with the dog(if you got at as puppy) it has to do with the owner not the (animal)dog?!
If you go to a training session with professionals I am sure they will tell you about the same techniques how to train. To me he says a lot of similar way as I did with mine and the dog behaved well.

I don't agree with you. On the AKC, you can read all the different characteristics about all the different breeds........words like extremely loyal, or fiercely protective, or needs a firm hand, couch potato and many other phrases. Different breeds, different traits and in the end, it's an animal and you can't possibly know what they will do or how they will react.

Just_another_day_at_work

I don't agree with you. On the AKC, you can read all the different characteristics about all the different breeds........words like extremely loyal, or fiercely protective, or needs a firm hand, couch potato and many other phrases. Different breeds, different traits and in the end, it's an animal and you can't possibly know what they will do or how they will react.
If your dog bites someone without any real reason(danger), it is absolutely your fault that you didn't train the dog right.
Different breed, OK. Different horses people still ride/use them in races, fun, jumping etc. It's not a wild animal coming from the jungle like a tiger, so of course you can teach(since you the one who teaches it) it how to react to things, like sit, walk next to you not in front, wait for instructions, it has to know it's place(bottom in the hierarchy). If it's a lab, chiwawa or pit-bull still gotta teach them how to behave and you can't blame it on the breed that it doesn't listen/behave to you.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Then why are different breeds referred to as "not child friendly?" You are wrong. I love my dog, but I picked her from the list of breed after reading the tempement of the breed.
I'm a dog lover, but I'm not stupid about it!

moreluck

golden ticket member
There is also film where someone steps forwad to pick up a baby playing with an Amer. Straffordshire Terrier and is attacked.

You are like one of those people that say, "Oh he won't bite".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What makes this even more tragic is that the dog was obviously trying to protect its owner who was passed out on the sidewalk. You really cant blame the poor dog for doing what it did, any more than you can blame the cop for doing what HE had to do.

In my opinion, the drunk needs to be charged with animal neglect or cruelty. His decision to drink in public is what cost the dog its life.

tourists24

What makes this even more tragic is that the dog was obviously trying to protect its owner who was passed out on the sidewalk. You really cant blame the poor dog for doing what it did, any more than you can blame the cop for doing what HE had to do.

In my opinion, the drunk needs to be charged with animal neglect or cruelty. His decision to drink in public is what cost the dog its life.

Definitely agree with you Sober.... I looooove pit bulls... the best dog I ever had was such a sweetie was a pit.... but you cant fix stupid

Necropostophiliac

Man Faces Charges After Shooting Dog That Got Into His House
DANBURY—

A man faces criminal charges after he shot a neighbor's dog that got into his
home in the middle of the night and attacked his dog.

Christopher Masi, 43, of Oak Ridge Avenue, was awoken around 2 a.m. Monday
when a neighbor's chow jumped over a fence, climbed through a dog door in his
home and attacked his dog, said Danbury Police Capt. Thomas Wendel.

Masi shot the dog with a BB gun, and the chow ran off, Wendel said

About four hours later, the dog returned, Wendel said. This time, Masi shot
it with a .22-caliber rifle, Wendel said. The dog had to be euthanized.

Masi faces charges of cruelty to animals and unlawful discharge of a
firearm.

The owner of the chow was not cited, but the incident remains under
investigation, Wendel said.

http://www.courant.com/community/danbury/hc-danbury-dog-shot-0823-20120822,0,3955097.story