Dogs, Diads, Rain, Drains, Kmart boots.....

kingOFchester

Well, I have just completed my first FULL week as a driver. Spent over a year doing preload. I have to tell you that there is soooooo much more then driving and delivering. What a week. First thing I am going to do is buy better boots. I have these cheap Kmart boots that have no support and no padding. My shins are killing me. 1/2 of my stops are single houses up on steep hills from the street.

Went to one house today got about 1/2 way to the door when 2 good sized dogs came flying around the corner barking and growling. I stopped and tried to dominate but with in a few seconds they were nipping at me, I turned to run back to the truck and one got me in the back of the leg. Punctured my skin and drew a little blood. Thank God they had the invisble fence. What should I of done if I dropped the package right there on the lawn and couldn't get back to it because of the dogs? I did a nondel. Hope the dogs are in on Monday.

The other night I was on a small winding street in the rain. The cheap little wippers were not doing the job. Cars are wizzing buy me and I am white knuckles all the way down the road. Between the wipers and the condensation on the inside of the truck it was hard to see the road let alone a mailbox.

Made the mistake of putting the Diad on top of the metal instrument box instead of the Diad holder......made a left turn and right out the door the Diad went. Lucky me it was a side street.

Last stop today, pulled up along the side of the curb, had a box in hand with a finger through the key ring.......some how they slipped and landed about 6" from a storm drain.

Can't wait to see what next week brings me!!

ups79

Well, I have just completed my first FULL week as a driver. Spent over a year doing preload. I have to tell you that there is soooooo much more then driving and delivering. What a week. First thing I am going to do is buy better boots. I have these cheap Kmart boots that have no support and no padding. My shins are killing me. 1/2 of my stops are single houses up on steep hills from the street.

Went to one house today got about 1/2 way to the door when 2 good sized dogs came flying around the corner barking and growling. I stopped and tried to dominate but with in a few seconds they were nipping at me, I turned to run back to the truck and one got me in the back of the leg. Punctured my skin and drew a little blood. Thank God they had the invisble fence. What should I of done if I dropped the package right there on the lawn and couldn't get back to it because of the dogs? I did a nondel. Hope the dogs are in on Monday.

The other night I was on a small winding street in the rain. The cheap little wippers were not doing the job. Cars are wizzing buy me and I am white knuckles all the way down the road. Between the wipers and the condensation on the inside of the truck it was hard to see the road let alone a mailbox.

Made the mistake of putting the Diad on top of the metal instrument box instead of the Diad holder......made a left turn and right out the door the Diad went. Lucky me it was a side street.

Last stop today, pulled up along the side of the curb, had a box in hand with a finger through the key ring.......some how they slipped and landed about 6" from a storm drain.

Can't wait to see what next week brings me!!

Tell us all. Where are you from? Or better yet how did you get done so early?

rod

Retired 22 years
First of all you should call your local law inforcement and report your dog bite. Did you get a tetnus shot? Dog bites are nothing to laugh about- ecpecially when they draw blood. If you have any kind of efficient law enforcement they will contact the dogs owners and have the dogs watched for signs of rabies. Did you fill out an injury report? That is a MUST DO. Sounds like you had a tipical 1st week to me. It will get better. Now go fill out that injury report and call the police or sheriff.:peaceful: P.S. if it was me I would call these people and find out if the dog had its rabies shots and also tell them that they can pick up their pkg at the UPS building if the wont lock their dogs up

kingOFchester

First of all you should call your local law inforcement and report your dog bite. Did you get a tetnus shot? Dog bites are nothing to laugh about- ecpecially when they draw blood. If you have any kind of efficient law enforcement they will contact the dogs owners and have the dogs watched for signs of rabies. Did you fill out an injury report? That is a MUST DO. Sounds like you had a tipical 1st week to me. It will get better. Now go fill out that injury report and call the police or sheriff.:peaceful:

Rod, thanks for the warm welcome. I do know I will be back to the preload come January, but someday I hope to make seniority.

As for the dog bite, yes I have had a tetnus shot this year thanks to home remodeling nightmare. About the bite....it was just one tooth that went into the skin thanks to the diad. Should I really fill out a report?

Also, when you have a big over 70lb irreg that needs a signature, do you ring the bell before you lug the box up to the door?? I don't think I will make that mistake again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rod is right, although I personally feel involving the police is a bit over the top. Go to the hospital and get a tetanus shot after you fill out the injury report. Better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, it does get better.

Leftinbuilding

Now the next step is the nightmare Sunday night. LOL Been there, done all that....it will get better. Experience is a great teacher.

cino321

Dogs - Shake gates, make noises, rattle your keys, before you approach any house that you think might have a dog.

Diads - Always make sure it's secured somewhere. Don't get into the habit of putting it down unless it's in the diad holder. You don't want to leave it at a stop either, so get yourself a diad pouch or clip.

Rain - Slow down, increase stopping and following distance. Use horns and mirrors. Remember that most of these trucks don't have ABS so expect the brakes to lock up and increase your stopping distance.

Drains - Don't really know what to tell you here, except to be more careful. Might want to get one of those big key clip things and keep it around your belt so you can clip your keys to them at all times.

Boots - This is the sort of thing that'll make or break your day. You're probably going to go through several pairs of boots until you find a pair that are comfortable, but I suggest that you don't be stingy and find a pair that don't hurt you're feet. Maybe ask the other drivers in your center for suggestions.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
Dogs - Shake gates, make noises, rattle your keys, before you approach any house that you think might have a dog.

Diads - Always make sure it's secured somewhere. Don't get into the habit of putting it down unless it's in the diad holder. You don't want to leave it at a stop either, so get yourself a diad pouch or clip.

Rain - Slow down, increase stopping and following distance. Use horns and mirrors. Remember that most of these trucks don't have ABS so expect the brakes to lock up and increase your stopping distance.

Drains - Don't really know what to tell you here, except to be more careful. Might want to get one of those big key clip things and keep it around your belt so you can clip your keys to them at all times.

Boots - This is the sort of thing that'll make or break your day. You're probably going to go through several pairs of boots until you find a pair that are comfortable, but I suggest that you don't be stingy and find a pair that don't hurt you're feet. Maybe ask the other drivers in your center for suggestions.

in addition to all the above suggestions, i would think the double horn honk when you stop/get out of the pack car would have sent the dogs running. go figure. glad you weren't hurt. and that you had that DIAD and not the old paper and clipboard.

barnyard

KTM rider
Did you really go through driver training??????

From your post I would say not. You need to review what you were taught and follow the methods.

TB

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
KOC,

My advice is to get a spare key for one of your doors in case you lock them in the back. Keep it in the registration pouch. Providing that you have the same car every day. Nothing is worse than calling the center and telling them you locked your keys in the back. Not to mention coat hangers are hard to come by on the road. Good luck to you!

barnyard

KTM rider
Our bulkhead keys are the same for all the cars in our center. I have one on a keyring with a fingernail clipper in my pocket, everyday.

Just in case I lose that one, I have another attached to a keycard for a pick up account.

TB

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's how they did it in Idaho Falls.....if you didn't take your key when exiting the car, the sup. or mgr. threw your keys in the snow. It usually only takes one time for that lesson to sink in and become a habit.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Dog Bite - Get in touch with the owner and explain you got bite by the dog.Ask them who is there insurance company, might be worth something.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
King, I learned very quickly about dog bites and diad use. Keep the diad between you and the dog (2 dogs are a little bit harder to deal with but is still do-able). The dog will attack whatever is closer (usually). And if the dog gets closer than the diad give a good sound whack upside the head. And I don't mean a tap. Smack the crap out if it.

And never ever turn your back on a dog that is being aggresive, that is a sure invitation for a bite.