Dogs, Diads, Rain, Drains, Kmart boots.....

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
...........................Last stop today, pulled up along the side of the curb, had a box in hand with a finger through the key ring.......some how they slipped and landed about 6" from a storm drain.

Can't wait to see what next week brings me!!
I keep a spring clip on my beltloop. It works like a dream. I hate digging keys out of my pocket. On the rare occasion that I forget my clip, invariably I end up sitting down, getting seatbelt on and then realizing that my keys are in my pocket.:dissapointed: With the spring clip I don't have to get up to get my keys.

One of the other drivers at my ctr was so seriously bitten that part of the dogs tooth broke off in her leg. She is terrified of dogs now.
OUCH, that one hit bone. This is the time that there is no "observing" the dog for sighs of rabies. Time to chop it's freaking head off and having it analyzed.
I usually can judge dogs pretty well and only have been bitten once. It wasn't serious but actually quite funny, after the fact. As I walked onto the porch a little ankle bitter comes up and starts flittering around, wagging it's tail and acting like it's just glad to see someone. Once at the door and knocking, I slowly reached down to pat the little faker and it started to growl. As I straightened up it jumped up to latch onto my right hand ring finger, it's weight pulled it downward and tore the skin, hurt like hell. Just as I was about to place kick the BAST.... off the porch I noticed the consignee at the door laughing. THAT really pissed me off.
LOL..I have several "dog stories" but I'll spare y'all the pain.

BigBrownSanta

OUCH, that one hit bone. This is the time that there is no "observing" the dog for sighs of rabies. Time to chop it's freaking head off and having it analyzed.
I usually can judge dogs pretty well and only have been bitten once. It wasn't serious but actually quite funny, after the fact. As I walked onto the porch a little ankle bitter comes up and starts flittering around, wagging it's tail and acting like it's just glad to see someone. Once at the door and knocking, I slowly reached down to pat the little faker and it started to growl. As I straightened up it jumped up to latch onto my right hand ring finger, it's weight pulled it downward and tore the skin, hurt like hell. Just as I was about to place kick the BAST.... off the porch I noticed the consignee at the door laughing. THAT really pissed me off.
LOL..I have several "dog stories" but I'll spare y'all the pain.

You shoulda place kicked the dog, looked at the consignee and then started laughing also...:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yeah, she has a terrible scar on her calf from that dog.

The one that bit me was a little ankle biter, too. The customer really pissed me off that is why I called animal control. After the dog bit me she wanted to look at it and I raised my leg up. She grabbed my ankle looked at the bite and then said oh that's not bad and threw my leg back down. :angry: What a bitch. She didn't say sorry or anything.

kingOFchester

Our bulkhead keys are the same for all the cars in our center. I have one on a keyring with a fingernail clipper in my pocket, everyday.

Just in case I lose that one, I have another attached to a keycard for a pick up account.

TB

Didn't you go through driver training?? Why would you need a spare key?? Yes, a little sarcasim.

Yeah, she has a terrible scar on her calf from that dog.

The one that bit me was a little ankle biter, too. The customer really pissed me off that is why I called animal control. After the dog bit me she wanted to look at it and I raised my leg up. She grabbed my ankle looked at the bite and then said oh that's not bad and threw my leg back down. :angry: What a bitch. She didn't say sorry or anything.
Bitch is right! I would not have handled it the way you did, but then I would have been wrong. You did it the right way.

kingOFchester

Thanks everyone for the tips. It was more of a humorous post (not to say all of the things I listed didn't happen). I am trying to find a safe "speed". I do not want to be a runner and risk hurting anyone, myself or my career. It's kind of hard not to run at times. I find that when I start falling behind, due to load issues and such, that I start "running". I know the long time drivers hate to se us new drivers run, but when you are trying to make a name for yourself its hard not to do everything you can to keep your self on schedule. Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I do enjoy the work for the most part. I never liked slow paced jobs.

Are people stupid? If you are expecting a package put the dog inside.
Yes people are stupid.
I can't tell you how many times I've read notes left on the door saying to "put the packages on the freezer in the well house on the back side of the lot, so my precious little doggy (I read MUTT) won't chew it up". I'm thinking " sure thing, I don't have anything else to do for the rest of the 12 hour day I'm putting in"

chev

Nightcrawler
Now the next step is the nightmare Sunday night. LOL Been there, done all that....it will get better. Experience is a great teacher.
:laughing: Oh hell, I have been in feeders 9 years ans STILL have package nightmares. Those bloody air commits will do your head in.:wink2:
I love the ones where I end up at the end of the day and all the packages are back in the package car and I am in a panic to run them all off before I go back.
Just wait till you get into feeders and you have nightmares of rolling sets over.:sick:

:laughing: Oh hell, I have been in feeders 9 years ans STILL have package nightmares. Those bloody air commits will do your head in.:wink2:
I love the ones where I end up at the end of the day and all the packages are back in the package car and I am in a panic to run them all off before I go back.
Just wait till you get into feeders and you have nightmares of rolling sets over.:sick:
That explains your avatar.

chev

Nightcrawler
That explains your avatar.
:surprised: Did I reveal something?
Not my accident, but it was a friends from my center. I put it there to remind me to be alert and drive safely. I am scared to death of flipping one like that. He was lucky he only had some bruises.:happy2:
That one had the Jersey Turnpike shut down all morning.

:surprised: Did I reveal something?
Not my accident, but it was a friends from my center. I put it there to remind me to be alert and drive safely. I am scared to death of flipping one like that. He was lucky he only had some bruises.:happy2:
Oh I don't blame you one bit, I would be too. I rolled a p5 once and the memory of that still haunts.
What happened to you buddy, someone cut him off and then hit the brakes?

chev

Nightcrawler
Oh I don't blame you one bit, I would be too. I rolled a p5 once and the memory of that still haunts.
What happened to you buddy, someone cut him off and then hit the brakes?
Well, that was the story. I don't rightly know if we will ever know the full details. He is no longer in feeders. They kind of forced him back to package.:sad-little: I honestly think it was the best thing for him. He had trouble with nights. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleeping:2

I honestly think it was the best thing for him. He had trouble with nights. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleeping:2
That's why I am not in feeders, and the fact that I like my wife well enough to actually want to spend waking time with her. Not that all feeder drivers don't, it's just that it is a priority for me.

kingOFchester

That's why I am not in feeders, and the fact that I like my wife well enough to actually want to spend waking time with her. Not that all feeder drivers don't, it's just that it is a priority for me.

TRPLNKL, how did you roll a 500? I mean, I can see how it can easily be done, just wondering how you did it.

Couple of other things I have had issues with....

When I get into my personal vehicle I am now trying to put the ignition key into the radio VS the steering column. The other issue is at the end of the day and I get into my car, I seem to be stalling a few times. After driving 100+ in a package car it takes a few minutes to get use to my little 4 cylinder.

As far as drivig school.....I did not go to to intergrad. I learned a lot about sales leads and accidents, but not much about the daily routine. Kind of reminds me of my first week as a part timer. Didn't learn a lot.......almost everything that I know about UPS I have learned from fellow upsers and this cafe.

chev

Nightcrawler
TRPLNKL, how did you roll a 500? I mean, I can see how it can easily be done, just wondering how you did it.

Couple of other things I have had issues with....

When I get into my personal vehicle I am now trying to put the ignition key into the radio VS the steering column. The other issue is at the end of the day and I get into my car, I seem to be stalling a few times. After driving 100+ in a package car it takes a few minutes to get use to my little 4 cylinder.

As far as drivig school.....I did not go to to intergrad. I learned a lot about sales leads and accidents, but not much about the daily routine. Kind of reminds me of my first week as a part timer. Didn't learn a lot.......almost everything that I know about UPS I have learned from fellow upsers and this cafe.
Sounds like you are progressing. I did the same things when I started package. It felt funny getting in my little Plymouth Laser after driving a diesel p800 all day.

feederwreck.jpg

Time to retire this one.
BTW.....I've decided to change my avatar to something a little more fun. :wink2:

brownrodster

R
Also, when you have a big over 70lb irreg that needs a signature, do you ring the bell before you lug the box up to the door?? I don't think I will make that mistake again.

Always. Although, In driver training I'm pretty sure they wanted us to bring it to the door no matter what.

helenofcalifornia

Mentor, King, mentor. You need to find a friendly driver you have a rapport with and find out how they do the job. There is this one driver in my center who has his methods down pat. He wears his pouch on his left side so it won't interfere with putting his seat belt on. Brilliant. Little things like that are tips you find out from experienced drivers. I learn more about driving just sitting in the office at the end of the day taking breaks talking with the other drivers.