Dogs!

ImpactedTSG

A hand held compressed air boat horn can be very effective with an aggressive dog. When the dog gets close point it directly at his face and let it blast. Dog stops to ponder: if his bark is that loud he must be one bad.........

You have several things working in your favor: surprise,intimidation,discomfort from the noise
Plus if the owners are home, they are sure to come out. They'll know that the UPS guy is there.....or a cruise ship just sailed into their yard. LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
With the coming of the warmer weather here in the North East, it becomes a bigger problem. People have just their screens shut,(if they have a storm door at all) with Fido on the other side. Been that road too many times. Walking to the door, they jump up and are out. Or the door has no glass, or screen. And if you sit outside and lay on the horn and they do not hear you, how will they hear you if their dog is biting you? So I sit outside and toot, a few times then sheet it ni1 and dog in remarks. Had 3 today. I love dogs, most dogs on my route are not family dogs, they are protection dogs and they work well at keeping people away. Especially me.

brown bomber

brown bomber
In over 25 years of driving I've yet to encounter a dog bite..however, I've had 2 incidence that resulted in 2-3 month injuries
1. making a delivery, set pkg. on porch and knock...start to walk away...Grandma comes to the door, I return to help her get her sons sales literature (40 lb.) into the house...but, guess what..when the door was opened..the dog came out at me...the result torn hamstring...6 week injury

2. made a residential delivery to a recently added area on my route...it was late spring, the kids were out playing...as I was walking up the driveway, I could here dogs in the house..a lady opened the door and recieved the pkg. as I'm walking away she instructs her kids not to open the door.......guess what??? the punk opens the door....2 dogs on Brown ASAP.....did everything I could to avoid a dog bite....the result was that I had a major knee injury...was off the for 4 months (I did file a police report)

still haven't been bitten by a dog

brown bomber

brown bomber
hey tooner....I've got pitbulls on my route...we were recently instructed by our Mgt. team to use the DIAD as a weapon against dogs.....I've had several occurences w/ pitbulls...thus far the only thing that has saved me is that the homeowner was home..or that I was able to get back to the pkg. car...I've had enough encounters w/ dogs " that don't bite"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
hey tooner....I've got pitbulls on my route...we were recently instructed by our Mgt. team to use the DIAD as a weapon against dogs.....I've had several occurences w/ pitbulls...thus far the only thing that has saved me is that the homeowner was home..or that I was able to get back to the pkg. car...I've had enough encounters w/ dogs " that don't bite"
Most of my am resis have pits, or rots. They are am resis coz I want to be there before they get up. :happy2:
Both can be good dogs, depends on how they are raised. But I never trust them, and now I dont even get out of the truck. If I see them at the plate glass window, or at the door, someone needs to come out, Im not going up. Nothing is a weapon if they knock you down. You r dead. They go for the neck. Protect your head and neck, and hope someone comes, or stay in the truck like I do:smart:Ive been bitten, chased, and snarled at, and all owners say, they dont bite. I say, they dont bite you. They will bite me. Then I have to sue you, and take your shack away. Just come out to the truck for your "box".

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A headache from a DIAD is better than having Animal Control come take the dog for biting us and possibly euthanizing it.

Big, I agree with most of what you said (and TRPL, too) but maybe animal control should get invovled with a potential biter. How would you fell if you just whacked the dog and walked away, but the next time the dog tried to bite someone it happened to be a child. Maybe you could have prevented a tragedy by involving animal control. People DO need to be responsible for their animals and law enforcement can make that happen.

I have been bit one time (exactly as Under the Radar described). I reported it to sup and animal control. The dog was quarantined for mandatory 10 days. The 1st time animal control went there the dog was perfect, the 2nd time the dog went after the officer.

People generally don't take the time to train their animals or even pay any attention to them. Dogs need exercise and direction. If they don't get it they get bored and in that boredom they can get destructive and/or aggressive.

satellitedriver

I have been attacked inside my pkg car by pits, rots and even a great dane.
I am older now and I am tired of fighting man or beast.
If someone wants to secure their home with a dog, cool, they are just not going to get their delivery from me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If a big dog is coming at you and you know you are gonna get bit....go into a crouch to lower your center of gravity, bend your right arm in front of your face, and let the dog lock onto your right forearm between the elbow and the wrist. Once it has locked on, place your left arm behind the dogs head. Pull the left arm toward you and push the right arm away from you at the same time. If you do this with enough force you will snap the dog's neck, game over. Even if you cant break the neck, you are using leverage to force the dogs head back and your are keeping it away from your face and neck.

New Englander

If a big dog is coming at you and you know you are gonna get bit....go into a crouch to lower your center of gravity, bend your right arm in front of your face, and let the dog lock onto your right forearm between the elbow and the wrist. Once it has locked on, place your left arm behind the dogs head. Pull the left arm toward you and push the right arm away from you at the same time. If you do this with enough force you will snap the dog's neck, game over. Even if you cant break the neck, you are using leverage to force the dogs head back and your are keeping it away from your face and neck.

The last thing anybody should do to an on coming dog is to go into a crouch. My god, do you actually want to lower your head and neck to the dog?

I seriously doubt in the heat of the fight your neck breaker will actually work.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have only been bitten one time by a small breed dog that was sleeping under the front porch, I did not see him until he had my ankle.......The little ones seem to be the problem that I see. The owner told me he had never bitten anyone before?

Maybe it was just me.

rod

Retired 22 years

Kind reminds me of my old Army training on how to snap a man neck. I was tempted to use it a couple of times during my UPS career :wink2:

john346

No more Brown!
I like our clerks too much to put the call onto them, so I typically make the call at the end of the day for another delivery location. The owner's are the amazing denominator here, and one more reason I make the call to hear the total BS & argumentitive attitude some of them have.
It's a 50/50 generally for me, half are so sorry for their dog, but the others are pissed about the missed delivery. I explain to these that I think it's unreasonable that I could potentially lose time off of my job, and loss of income because they are incapable of or unwilling to control their animal. Some of them get it, yet others are unyeilding, and give me a valuable window to exactly who I'm dealing with and how to treat their deliveries in the future.
I try the dog treats, most of the time this works, or at least allows me the latitude to get to the door and back. Swung the diad a few times, carried a spray bottle of ammonia (that worked pretty well until the bottle froze & broke).
I really like the stops where the dog wants nothing to do with me when no one is home, but feels compelled to make a show when they are. The owner sees this aggression, and immediately begins to discipline the animal. I try to explain to them that when they do that, how do you think the dog is going to feel the next time I roll up? Happy? Or prepared for another round of fine tuning? My interventions have no purchase & generally it gets to the call at the end of the day.
I really like the air horn idea though, I think I'm going to get one. If nothing else it may scare their fat ass'es off of the couch to see some real reality show!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont even get a lawyer, just contact their insurance company. Get 4 grand. Their insurance goes up, they control their animal, problem solved for everyone.

L

Load Stand

Kep in mind if you win a judgement or settlement with the homeowners insurance company, Liberty Mutual will be looking for the money they spent out for medical bills and lost wages, if there are expenses as such. Employee's will be lucky to get anything after paying their attorney and paying back Liberty Mutual first! Sue only if you must sue...and lower your expectations if you do sue....be off work only if you must be off work, or someday you may need time off for something more serious, and then you really start to put things like entitlements (sick, personal, vacation time) at risk as well as your ability to retire when you think you can!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And if you sue keep in mind, PTS. After you are attacked your every delivery moment is further stressed every time your own keys jingle, or you hear a noise that startles you. A bite is one thing, an attack is worse. Either way someone should pay if they have the ability to own an animal and they cant control it. Why should it be you. So sue if you need to, its not a small thing. It affects your career. It affects your life. Until I was attacked I never had a fear of dogs. Since then I got all kinds of advice, of how to kill an attacking dog. Trust me you do not have time to do it, or the wits. I wasnt at work, it happened down the street from my house. I couldnt sue as the guy had no homeowners. But if it ever happens again, I will go to the end of my means to drain the bank account of anyone who has no responsibility over their animal. When I went back to work, every door I went to who had a dog near it made my heart come out of my chest. It aint funny.