DOK

DorkHead

I always draw a blank when they question me about the 8 keys to lifting or the 10 point commentary even though I do them correctly umpteen times during the day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes I was catcher all the way through college they came out with them about my last 3-4 years catching. Hopefully I'm blessed with good knees they haven't bothered me yet knock on wood....

iruhnman630

This was my final review, as I typed it out to quiz myself the night before reciting them one-on-one with the center manager to get my name in a drawing for a 48" lccd tv:
aim high in steering using an imaginary target (dartboard) to center your car in traffic lane and
find a safe path on turns.

'find a safe path well ahead'

get the big picture by asking 'how deep/wide? whats in it? objects and ground' to buy time,
*keep you away form billboards*, and allow for smooth, controlled stops and turns.

'stay back and see it all'

keep your eyes moving to the front every 2 sec and rear every 5-8 seconds to keep your *eyes ahead
of your car* and you alive at intersections.

'scan dont stare'

leave yoursefl an out by maintaining an escape route and taking the path of least resistence to
keeps space on all 4 sides, and always in front.

'be prepared- expect the unexpected'

Make sure they see you by commincating in traffice using your horns/lights/signals to
establish eye contact.

'dont gamble. Use horns light and signals'

Remember:

Aim high...dartboard...(2) centers in lane and safe paths on turns.

get the big picture to (3) AVOID BILLBOARDS, find smooth stops/turns, and buy time.

keep your eyes moving (2-5-8) (2) KEEPS YOUR EYES AHEAD OF YOUR CAR AND you alive at intersections.

Leave an out...(2) escape route, least resistence.

say ESCAPE ROUTE instead of one car length. 'One car length' is nowhere on this list.

billboards, eyes ahead of car, escape route.

those last notes were small things I kept forgetting.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The 8 keys are pretty much the only stuff I know. I know the 5 seeing habits but none of the other stuff that goes with them. 10 point commentary lol not a chance. I get steered away from auditors lol. I'm slightly dyslexic and my memory is horrible I'll never know it just not gonna happen.

thessalonian13

I am sorry but you are wrong. I have a background in bodybuilding and there is a myth that squats kill the knees (in healthy people). You can safety squat all the way down (we in the bodybuilding world call it @$$ to the grass) without any knee pain. There are a few requirements to take into account. Of course the first is keeping the back straight. A lot of people push and balance themselves on the front portion of their foot which is wrong. Your weight needs to be on the back of the heal (as if you were squatting down in the woods to take a crap lol) . It feels weird at first and some might even fall over trying to do it but its the correct way to do it. When you squat your knees shouldn't move forward past your feet. If you are squatting deep and your knees are moving past your feet then you are doing it wrong and that will hurt your knees.
So to recap:
Back straight (some recommend head up the help keep back straight but that is person preference)
Keep weight in the heals of the foot
When you drive up drive with weight on heal and use hips to move

This is how to do a proper Full Squat (@$$ to grass squat)

Barbell Full Squat
If I fall over the first few times, will I get a warning letter for each fall? Or do we get a few "mulligans"? Either way that does not sound too safe to me. LOL

brownedout

I am sorry but you are wrong. I have a background in bodybuilding and there is a myth that squats kill the knees (in healthy people). You can safety squat all the way down (we in the bodybuilding world call it @$$ to the grass) without any knee pain. There are a few requirements to take into account. Of course the first is keeping the back straight. A lot of people push and balance themselves on the front portion of their foot which is wrong. Your weight needs to be on the back of the heal (as if you were squatting down in the woods to take a crap lol) . It feels weird at first and some might even fall over trying to do it but its the correct way to do it. When you squat your knees shouldn't move forward past your feet. If you are squatting deep and your knees are moving past your feet then you are doing it wrong and that will hurt your knees.
So to recap:
Back straight (some recommend head up the help keep back straight but that is person preference)
Keep weight in the heals of the foot
When you drive up drive with weight on heal and use hips to move

This is how to do a proper Full Squat (@$$ to grass squat)

Barbell Full Squat
htown is right, like he I have a background in sports medicine, kinesiology, and biomechanics, like IndecisiOn I have a background in bodybuilding/powerlifting as each applied to my football playing regimine, and overall fitness before becoming full-timer at ups. The ass to the grass squat of which you speak should not cause any knee pain or injury, but this is where your few requirements to take into account comes into play. Without getting too technical, the musculature of the legs in most bodybuilders and the associated flexibility "limitations" this muscle imposes on movements actually in itself saves the athlete from injury. Lets not even enter the back/spine into the equation at this moment. When you further go on to state about squatting that the knees shouldn't extend beyond the toes, your totally dismissing that this was the movement the auditors told the OP was now being required by ups. I rarely watch any baseball anymore but when I do and see the catcher in his crouch/stance the knees are almost always extended beyond (in front of the toes/foot) lifting any package much over 35 pounds would cause injury to just about anyone.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Had a 25 year old sup ask me the 8 keys to lifting and lowering,I messed them up!! He looked at my records and said "nice job,23 years on the job and no lost time injury " Then looked right in my eyes with a stern face and says "you have been lucky so far ,because you don't know these keys " LOL LOL

9/5Everyday

The 8 keys are pretty much the only stuff I know. I know the 5 seeing habits but none of the other stuff that goes with them. 10 point commentary lol not a chance. I get steered away from auditors lol. I'm slightly dyslexic and my memory is horrible I'll never know it just not gonna happen.

LMAO, Me too! If i could remember this **** i would be something else than a "delivery driver"!