DOK

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If you REALLY want to have fun, recite them very slowly, stammer, really drag it out;

Aim high in Steering: uhhhhhhhhhhhh ,ok..................lets see...........um.....you aim high............................uh...................like throwing a ...............throwing a ...............................oh yeah like throwing a base ball,and uh............................it .....................well lets see...................................it uhhhhhhh.................................,ok dont tell me, it's right on the tip of my tounge.............................. do that with EVERY question( while getting them right) and they will leave you alone. heck,they will go out of thier way not to audit you!

We have a driver with 30 yrs in and they just road with him for the 2nd time to bust em for him because he cant pickup the DOK.This guy has no injurys or bang ups ever.But this young DS wants to bust his rocks.But the run and gunner next to him knows it front back and upside down,but he has several driver follow ups and never gets in trouble... I don't get it ?

OPTION3

If you REALLY want to have fun, recite them very slowly, stammer, really drag it out;

Aim high in Steering: uhhhhhhhhhhhh ,ok..................lets see...........um.....you aim high............................uh...................like throwing a ...............throwing a ...............................oh yeah like throwing a base ball,and uh............................it .....................well lets see...................................it uhhhhhhh.................................,ok dont tell me, it's right on the tip of my tounge.............................. do that with EVERY question( while getting them right) and they will leave you alone. heck,they will go out of thier way not to audit you!
That's too much work……I answer the first question , then proceed upstairs to take a 20 minute shizz….. If they are still there after I'm done I finish them slowly….wallah free 45 minutes of overtime!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I was asked by a sup if I knew the DOK after coming in from a storm,,I pointed out the Air trailer I had brought in on time and in one piece and told him ,"there's your answer "

Ashell

I have a bid in for FT Driver and they gave me a copy of this. I understand learning defensive driving practices, but these just seem ridiculous. When I took drivers ed, I was super cautious. Basically the guy told me, if you are going forward you don't have to worry about what is behind you. If you are in a dense city I totally understand scanning the whole area to look for pedestrians, but if I'm cruising down the high way I just need to maintain distance and look for an out. It just seems to me they simplified defensive driving to the point of being overly complicated.

Anyone at my hub will tell you I driving like an old man. They get pissed off getting stuck behind me going into the hub. I guess I don't see how memorizing these is going to help. Especially if they are not done in practice. Who counts 3 second after a stop in practice? Sure, just doing it would be less stress, but I just have a terrible memory. I have to use a cheat sheet just for the CHSP test every month.

Can they really DQ me for not knowing these word for word?

kingOFchester

A center manager a few years back threatened to take drivers off the road for not knowing it. he claimed he could pay you 8 hours to sit in a room learning the DOK. Word got around and drivers said "great, it will take me a day to learn part 1 of the 10 points. By summer I should have most of it down."

wo88upsman

I will agree that word for word is a little over kill but if you have worked here over 10 years like most of you say you have you or talking crap and lying to yourself (and us) if you do not know it well enough to get by. None of it is to complicated and you use all of it every day just driving you car to work rather you will admit it or not.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We had a guy who was handed a package and was asked to show how do you pick this up, he dropped the package, then proceeded to properly pick up the package. He still failed it because they want to see him lay the package down properly. Most other people failed due to not laying it down right, and he knew that.

I would have handed the package to the auditor. Make him put it down. The right way

Back first

I will agree that word for word is a little over kill but if you have worked here over 10 years like most of you say you have you or talking crap and lying to yourself (and us) if you do not know it well enough to get by. None of it is to complicated and you use all of it every day just driving you car to work rather you will admit it or not.
When my sup. only gives me the DOK once a month it is hard to learn them word for word. I use all the methods just because I can't recite them verbatim doesn't make me an unsafe driver. When I started driving I only had to learn the 5 seeing habits.

ash sharma

I havent seen an auditor in 10 years. Just last week management was spreading fear amongst the ignorant telling them that this Keter outfit was only 90 miles from our building and we should be ready. The next day it was "we'll message you when we find out where they are, because they're close!"

Sure enough at 11:00 the board lights up with the message "Keter is in Ohio today".

Ohio is 400 miles west of here.

Idiots.
Does anyone know the company that preforms the keter audits? much appreciated!!!

browniehound

I've been working safe for 20 years, and most of those years we didn't even have the DOK. Why would knowing it now make me any more safe than I already am? It won't, so I don't put a lot of effort into it. I worry more about the crap I have to deal with on the road, and not about whether or not I'll have to stand in front of an auditor and repeat the 10 point commentary verbatim.
Reciting it verbatim will not make you safer. Putting those words to practice probably will make you safe. I do all those things while I'm driving without even thinking about it. Same with the lift/lower and slips and falls BS. I mean, who needs to be taught the best way not to fall on their ass? I believe I mastered the slip and fall thing around age 4.

If I wanted a job that requires me to memorize things and take tests, I would have went to grad school. I'm a friggin dumb truck driver with no accidents(avoidable) or injuries in 15 years so leave me the hell alone with this crap.

And we all know UPS are hypocrites. If you're productive they don't care how you do it as long as you don't get hurt. Safety only matters to them because it affects their bottom line. Which is fine if you cut the crap and don't tell me your care about my personal well being. You don't. I know it, you know it, and everyone else knows it.

If you really, truly cared about our safety, you wouldn't send us out in white-out conditions with 1-2 inches off snowfall per hour where 90% of our customers are closed because its NOT SAFE to be driving in those conditions. There is not a more dangerous situation you could us in than sending us out in a blizzard. Too many bad things can happen. You are putting our lives in serious jeopardy so people can get their stupid Amazon crap.

Just increase your following distance and adjust to the conditions I hear every storm. Go to hell with that and your aim high in steering BS. My wife and kids need me.

Indecisi0n

I have a bid in for FT Driver and they gave me a copy of this. I understand learning defensive driving practices, but these just seem ridiculous. When I took drivers ed, I was super cautious. Basically the guy told me, if you are going forward you don't have to worry about what is behind you. If you are in a dense city I totally understand scanning the whole area to look for pedestrians, but if I'm cruising down the high way I just need to maintain distance and look for an out. It just seems to me they simplified defensive driving to the point of being overly complicated.

Anyone at my hub will tell you I driving like an old man. They get pissed off getting stuck behind me going into the hub. I guess I don't see how memorizing these is going to help. Especially if they are not done in practice. Who counts 3 second after a stop in practice? Sure, just doing it would be less stress, but I just have a terrible memory. I have to use a cheat sheet just for the CHSP test every month.

Can they really DQ me for not knowing these word for word?
I discovered it takes about 3 seconds to get the truck into gear without using the clutch. It's a good guide.

542thruNthru

We had a PCM a few days back. We were told that during our S&V ride that if we did not get a 100 percent on our DOK we would be taken off car. I raised my hand and ask "will we be given time on the clock to study them" he told us that " no we are professional drivers and it's our responsibility to know them and be safe on the road." Anyone else having this issue lately?