Dollies ugh!

QKRSTKR

Thanks for the replies. I do turn them on right. It's more of a hiss than I want. Hooked up on the door waiting for the sort to go down ill loose all my air pressure.

Dracula, the shop at this hub is a freaking joke. It i drag the set back to the shop they'll just tell me it will take to long to fix might as well go get another dolly and start over. Your right though, it's easy $$$$. Sometimes it's nice to get out of there though, especially Saturday morning.

My new plan is gonna be to sit by the Dollie pile and wait for drop offs, less chance of something being wrong. May also have my meet driver stash Dollie he brings back which is the Dollie I brought in from my origin day before. If I broke my set every time and put the trailers on doors I'd never give up my Dollie. The loads I bring to hub are bypass, except they sometimes top off front trailer.

Origin would be where a load is originally from and where my day starts, for those of you who don't know your head from your :censored2:.

over9five

Staff member
Translate for us that aren't chubby, you know, package car drivers.
65307d1278770376-3-740-lbs-towed-off-back-bumper-eagleva-dolly.jpg

​^^^^Dolly

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If you're supplying air to the second trailer properly (service first, then air supply), it always hisses till you turn on the air supply (red), right???
Is that what the OP means? If so, it's normal.

Yes, that's normal, but it sounds like he is talking about the connections under the dolly. I could be wrong, but I think they're called regulators. That's trouble if they are leaking. I don't understand how you have so many bad dollies though. Don't take crap of off some those mechanics. Some of them hate being bothered, but if you notice they don't tell you no. What they do is try to talk you out of repairs, saying it should be fine. But they know if you push it, they'll have to fix it. What some of our lazier mechanics try on us is to tell us to switch out--whether that is a tractor or a dolly. I just tell them my loads are hot. That usually shuts them up. To be fair, we have a lot of good, helpful mechanics, so I always try working with those guys, and not make their jobs any harder than it needs to be.

lytkep

I remember trying to put a Set together at a Railyard that was dirt and it would be hard to find a Flat Spot during daylight and it was completely dark. Every time I would have everthing postioned the Dolly would go in a Dip and be to high for the King-pin. I was working in the dark many years ago at peak and would have removed them from the Railyard to the paved streets but was in Alexandria, Va. and certainly not much space to move around.
Bob

QKRSTKR

Yes, that's normal, but it sounds like he is talking about the connections under the dolly. I could be wrong, but I think they're called regulators. That's trouble if they are leaking. I don't understand how you have so many bad dollies though. Don't take crap of off some those mechanics. Some of them hate being bothered, but if you notice they don't tell you no. What they do is try to talk you out of repairs, saying it should be fine. But they know if you push it, they'll have to fix it. What some of our lazier mechanics try on us is to tell us to switch out--whether that is a tractor or a dolly. I just tell them my loads are hot. That usually shuts them up. To be fair, we have a lot of good, helpful mechanics, so I always try working with those guys, and not make their jobs any harder than it needs to be.
That's kinda why I posted this. I don't understand it either having so many bad in such a short time. Oh we'll. I do always turn on service line then supply line. I've heard sometimes trying them opposite can sometimes fix the problem. No luck yesterday. Once I knew I was screwed I didn't even bother the shop, just took dolly back by there tagged. Maybe next time I'll insist on them fixing it and tell them I can stay on button as long as they like, I'm getting paid.