domestic partner benefits

Kis124

I know central states covers same sex partners! The only thing is you have to be married in a state that it legal in! I know this for fact. Not that the state you live in you just need a marriage certificate.
you do not need to be legally married. You have to either prove marriage, or have a finacial connection. i.e. a mortgage, bank acct, lease in both names. I also believe this has to be for at least a year

Kis124

Same-Sex Domestic Partner Eligibility
In addition to meeting the same Plan requirements (for example, verifying dependent eligibility and
providing a Social Security number) as any other dependent to be eligible for coverage, you and your
same-sex domestic partner must:

Have been in an exclusive and committed relationship of mutual caring and support for at least the
past 12 months, and intend to remain in the partnership permanently;

Be jointly responsible for each other’s living expenses and/or common welfare;

Not be legally married to or legally separated from anyone else, nor have had another domestic
partner within the past 12 months;

Both be at least 18 years of age and mentally competent to consent to a contract;

Have lived together in the same principal residence for at least the past 12 months and intend to do so
indefinitely;

Not be related by blood, or to the degree of closeness that would otherwise prohibit legal marriage in
the state in which you and your partner legally reside;

Not be in the relationship solely for the purpose of obtaining benefits coverage.
You will be required to sign an affidavit certifying that the above conditions

from UPSERs

top dollar

Are you guys talking about the UPS or Central States? When I was part time for my partner to get on my ins. We had to have a civil union, that was with UPS! When I went full time we called Central States switched everything told them we were both same sex and all was good. Two years later I called to add the new baby and Central States says oh your same sex!!! Your partner in not covered as we were not married! So we go back and forth with them for months meantime they drop my partner and the first baby never add the second one then go back and take back all the coverage they had for the last two years! So I get an attorney and 8 months later they reinstate everyone and repay all the bills! Only after we go back to Vermont and get married! It was the biggest hassle, make sure you ask and re ask all your questions as Central States people have no clue! I have the top guys personal number I will not deal with the slugs that work for that company, I go straight to the top now!

Indecisi0n

407 was talking up our union which i support but I find it ironic that he will celebrate where the union is lacking. If you are straight you can get your spouse covered at no extra charge but if you are same sex then you have to pay tax on your domestic partners plan (around $136.00 a week). While I am grateful that our benefits even cover DP I don't think that it should be celebrated where it still fails.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
407 was talking up our union which i support but I find it ironic that he will celebrate where the union is lacking. If you are straight you can get your spouse covered at no extra charge but if you are same sex then you have to pay tax on your domestic partners plan (around $136.00 a week). While I am grateful that our benefits even cover DP I don't think that it should be celebrated where it still fails.
I agree the union could do more but it's not entirely on them. This issue would be completely resolved if the states would simply do the right thing and legalize gay marriage.

Indecisi0n

I agree the union could do more but it's not entirely on them. This issue would be completely resolved if the states would simply do the right thing and legalize gay marriage.

A some states have but the union needs to adopt civil unions and count that as "marriage" status for same sex partners.

So the union benefits are lacking for you. I am truly sorry for this. Hopefully you submitted a proposal to your local union. As far as I'm concerned us as teamsters have very good benifits. As in life some people get left out. I guess that's the same here.

Indecisi0n

So the union benefits are lacking for you. I am truly sorry for this. Hopefully you submitted a proposal to your local union. As far as I'm concerned us as teamsters have very good benifits. As in life some people get left out. I guess that's the same here.

So the union should worry about the majority and not the minority?
I understand the union will never be perfect but it bothers me and you throw your fist up and say "we are teamster strong " when there are people on the sidelines not held to the status as others.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A some states have but the union needs to adopt civil unions and count that as "marriage" status for same sex partners.
You'll get no argument from me on that, but remember the union is made up of people and is a reflection of the country as a whole, which means just like in the rest of the country for many it is still a contentious issue. I think the momentum and public opinion are going the right way but in reality it will be probably be a couple more years before all is as it should be.

Indecisi0n

You'll get no argument from me on that, but remember the union is made up of people and is a reflection of the country as a whole, which means just like in the rest of the country for many it is still a contentious issue. I think the momentum and public opinion are going the right way but in reality it will be probably be a couple more years before all is as it should be.

We are moving in the right direction and I agree with your comments.

So the union should worry about the majority and not the minority?
I understand the union will never be perfect but it bothers me and you throw your fist up and say "we are teamster strong " when there are people on the sidelines not held to the status as others.
What can I do?? So I should go on a crusade that our teamster union sucks because of this issue?? I think not. I am already privy to this issue and its going to be addressed in negotiation. There are a lot of issues that I have with the teamsters but I'm not going to bad mouth them. I ain't no TDU guy. I'm a team player. If you are paying tax on your partners benifits I AM TRULY SORRY. Is that good enough for you? Other than that I'm a team player and I support my union. Just like I can't make everyone happy not all are happy with me. I got some real thick skin from being a steward and I'll live. God bless the teamster union it has given me a good life and I'm very appreciative to God the teamsters and the old United Parcel.

Indecisi0n

What can I do?? So I should go on a crusade that our teamster union sucks because of this issue?? I think not. I am already privy to this issue and its going to be addressed in negotiation. There are a lot of issues that I have with the teamsters but I'm not going to bad mouth them. I ain't no TDU guy. I'm a team player. If you are paying tax on your partners benifits I AM TRULY SORRY. Is that good enough for you? Other than that I'm a team player and I support my union. Just like I can't make everyone happy not all are happy with me. I got some real thick skin from being a steward and I'll live. God bless the teamster union it has given me a good life and I'm very appreciative to God the teamsters and the old United Parcel.

I was just putting it out there to help infom others. I still love the teamster and what they stand for. I am a realist making conversation not attacking you or the teamsters.