domestic partner benefits

Indecisi0n

I support civil unions and same sex marriages but do not support the extension of benefits to those in a civil union. How would that differ from extending benefits to those in a common law marriage?

It's doesn't make sense for someone to say I support extending benefits to gay couples who are married when most states don't allow gay marriage in the first place. My feelings on the topic is don't call it marriage. In fact I don't care what you call it all I want are the same benefits as everyone else. People are so wrapped up in the religious word "marriage" it's ridiculous.

Lets see you walk around with a wad of cotton shoved in your crotch so you don't walk around leaving a trail of blood like a corse, all the while having hormones raging. And, while those hormones are raging, I dare you to stand within arms length telling me that line, again.

I doubt, somehow, I'd be leaving the trail of blood.

I feel better, now.

The color change was a nice touch :happy-very:

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's doesn't make sense for someone to say I support extending benefits to gay couples who are married when most states don't allow gay marriage in the first place. My feelings on the topic is don't call it marriage. In fact I don't care what you call it all I want are the same benefits as everyone else. People are so wrapped up in the religious word "marriage" it's ridiculous.

The color change was a nice touch :happy-very:
I do support gay 'marriage', or whatever word works.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a PT female gay supervisor who got married in Vermont and she and her partner were extended health benefits for them and their child in New York. She has since left the company and I don't know what she is doing about benefits now.

Indecisi0n

We had a PT female gay supervisor who got married in Vermont and she and her partner were extended health benefits for them and their child in New York. She has since left the company and I don't know what she is doing about benefits now.

Its only legal in 8 states:

As of May 10, 2012, gay marriage has been legalized in the following eight states: Massachusetts (May 17, 2004), Connecticut (Nov. 12, 2008), Iowa (Apr. 24. 2009), Vermont (Sep. 1, 2009), New Hampshire (Jan. 1, 2010), New York (June 24, 2011), Washington (passed Feb. 14, 2012; effective June 7, 2012), Maryland (passed Mar. 1, 2012; effective Jan. 1, 2013) and the District of Columbia (Mar. 3, 2010). [1] 31 states have constitutional amendments banning gay marriage. [25]. Also if you travel to say NY to get marriage your home state will NOT recognize the marriage.

Gay Marriage ProCon.org

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As of May 10, 2012, gay marriage has been legalized in the following eight states: Massachusetts (May 17, 2004), Connecticut (Nov. 12, 2008), Iowa (Apr. 24. 2009), Vermont (Sep. 1, 2009), New Hampshire (Jan. 1, 2010), New York (June 24, 2011), Washington (passed Feb. 14, 2012; effective June 7, 2012), Maryland (passed Mar. 1, 2012; effective Jan. 1, 2013) and the District of Columbia (Mar. 3, 2010). [1] 31 states have constitutional amendments banning gay marriage. [25]. Also if you travel to say NY to get marriage your home state will NOT recognize the marriage.

Gay Marriage ProCon.org

A more important listing would include those states which recognize gay marriage. New York is one of them---I'll let you Google the rest.

Indecisi0n

A more important listing would include those states which recognize gay marriage. New York is one of them---I'll let you Google the rest.

I am not sure I understand your question. If you get married in NY you can't go back to your state (that doesn't recognize same sex marriage) and say "Look I am married now."

menotyou

bella amicizia

Gay Marriage ProCon.org
I see this going federal. It's only fair. I reference this story when I talk about my opinion on the 'gay' issue. My father and I share a love of animals. He thought it would be fun to raise chickens. So, we did. We would order the chickens from a catalog. AS I got older, I would do the ordering and Dad would just oversee. We were sitting at the kitchen table and I read a disclaimer on the bottom of the page about roosters. It was something to the tone of 10% of the roosters wouldn't act like roosters. I had no idea what that meant. Dad made up some lame story, but that always stuck with me. In high school, the discussion came up(in science class) of the make-up of the gay population in relation to the hetero pop. I asked about that disclaimer I read. The teacher said 10% of the entire animal kingdom is gay. That fact, yes fact, has never left me. I don't believe anyone would choose to be gay, considering what most of the rest of the population puts them through. They have rights, just as I do. Fair is fair.

Indecisi0n

I see this going federal. It's only fair. I reference this story when I talk about my opinion on the 'gay' issue. My father and I share a love of animals. He thought it would be fun to raise chickens. So, we did. We would order the chickens from a catalog. AS I got older, I would do the ordering and Dad would just oversee. We were sitting at the kitchen table and I read a disclaimer on the bottom of the page about roosters. It was something to the tone of 10% of the roosters wouldn't act like roosters. I had no idea what that meant. Dad made up some lame story, but that always stuck with me. In high school, the discussion came up(in science class) of the make-up of the gay population in relation to the hetero pop. I asked about that disclaimer I read. The teacher said 10% of the entire animal kingdom is gay. That fact, yes fact, has never left me. I don't believe anyone would choose to be gay, considering what most of the rest of the population puts them through. They have rights, just as I do. Fair is fair.

I try to explain that to people but most don't understand or care to take the time to understand. I ask straight people all the time "When did you decide to be straight?" They give me a blank stare and say "What?" So I repeat the question. They say "Well ummm i always just knew. One day i just got turned on by women." I said it's the same way for gays. They don't wake up one day and say "hmmmm I think i'll try sleeping with a same sex person today.

S

serenity now

(what's not fair) is that the gays are having way more sex than the rest of us

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not sure I understand your question. If you get married in NY you can't go back to your state (that doesn't recognize same sex marriage) and say "Look I am married now."

You listed 8 states that have legalized gay marriage. There are many more that have yet to legalize gay marriage but recognize marriages performed elsewhere. In my example the PT sup and her partner got married in Vermont and New York recogized that marriage much the same as it would a traditional marriage.

Indecisi0n

You listed 8 states that have legalized gay marriage. There are many more that have yet to legalize gay marriage but recognize marriages performed elsewhere. In my example the PT sup and her partner got married in Vermont and New York recogized that marriage much the same as it would a traditional marriage.

That's because its legal to get married in both states.