Done early

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LLG, that is my beef with those who choose to skip their lunches, run and gun just so that they can get done early. We have one of those and the OMS has had to move pickups around as he gets to them too early, thereby impacting 2 other drivers, including me.

However, I do not have a problem if someone has something that they need to do that evening and want to get done early. My daughter had come home Friday unexpectedly so I asked the center manager if I could work Code 5 so that I could spend some time with her. He had to get clarification (permission) from the DM but it was approved. I did all of my own work and did not have to "pawn" off any work on anyone else and was out the door by 1715 (usually it is 1830-1845).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The reason I don't like taking them is because after lunch, my body says it's time for a siesta, not five more hours of work. I can never get back up to the same speed as before lunch.
That is my exact problem Helen. If I stop, Im done. So I break mine up and take five breaks. But If we could skip it and get paid I would, but if we skip it there is no code 5.

currahee

In my center if your done early your helping someone bottom line. There are a select few that get to bring it in. So why am i going to fly through my route to help somebody ? I would rather pace myself and do my stuff.
I have gotten burnt with the prospects of getting out early too many times only to get " can you take 10 off somebody ".

New Englander

I'm well aware of your storied past of being a hall of fame all-star UPS driver. You'll probably be the first UPS driver to be inducted into the circle of honor based on management recommendations and not safe driving. I pray every night that I'll be as efficient as you someday and be able to help my management team even out their dispatch and make their numbers.

Like I said, if it's done within the confines of the contract and the methods -- there is no problem. You jump in and get defensive, I wonder why. You proved me right in your very own response, you have to go help out 1-3 other drivers on a daily basis. You are clearly the exception and not the rule, few and far between under PAS/EDD, thank you and drive through.

Griff you really have no clue that UPS exists beyond your center do you? We have multiple drivers who can get in at 8hrs or so. Especially at this time with inbound down.

PAS and EDD have made it easier to get in early. My god are you from this planet?

JustTired

free at last.......
I have no idea what PASS/EDD are. Fill me in. And yes I do skip my lunch most days. See no need in taking my lunch if I am gonna be done at 3:30 and getting paid 8 hrs.

This was me many years ago.

Then my 70 stop-8.5 hours route morphed into a 110 stop-8.5 hour route. Then 125 stop-8.5 hours. Never did skip my lunch, though. Well...a couple of times in 25 years.

Gave the company a lot of my money back in those days. I'm getting it back now. The price you pay is that when you get older and could really use that 70-8.5........you're stuck with 125-8.5. Have fun in about 10-15 years.

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
I guess the difference here is by the end of the year you can gross $55,ooo-$65,ooo and get done early everyday OR work within your limits, be safe and fair to the customer, take an honest full hour of lunch and volunteer for some o/t and gross $75,ooo-$85,ooo. So we are talking between $10,ooo and $20,ooo difference here. It's a no brainer unless you gotta spouse that earns more than you or waiting for a rich Uncle to Die.

unless I can use that extra money to buy back time with my kids, I'M NOT INTERESTED. I only run about 45 stops a day, surely that won't be too hard on my knees and shoulders??

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I bury the cover drivers on my route. Finished last week with 4 straight 11 hour dispatches. I run a buck and a half bonus and punch out at 6:30. I realy don't care what the cover guy does when I'm gone or what other guys do on their route. What I do works for me.

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I first started driving quite a few years ago, I was on a run that a senior driver had as his bid and took 10 hours, and I could do it in 8 hours. When he returned, he took me aside and told me that I should have stuck close to the hours he reported and told me their are a number of reasons why. He told me that if I run, they will expect me to run all the time, and he told me that gets old quick. He told me the customers are used to those times of P/U, and he told me that some day I would be tired and they will still look for that 8 hour turn. He told me when the snow flies, you will not want to do that pace. I came to see a lot of his points as time went on. I still see him at retiree meetings, and I thank him for his input.

ImpactedTSG

LLG, that is my beef with those who choose to skip their lunches, run and gun just so that they can get done early. We have one of those and the OMS has had to move pickups around as he gets to them too early, thereby impacting 2 other drivers, including me.

However, I do not have a problem if someone has something that they need to do that evening and want to get done early. My daughter had come home Friday unexpectedly so I asked the center manager if I could work Code 5 so that I could spend some time with her. He had to get clarification (permission) from the DM but it was approved. I did all of my own work and did not have to "pawn" off any work on anyone else and was out the door by 1715 (usually it is 1830-1845).
Funny how you go done with your work more than an hour earlier than normal when you wanted to. So why does it take an hour longer any other day?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Funny how you go done with your work more than an hour earlier than normal when you wanted to. So why does it take an hour longer any other day?

There's nothing "funny" about it, he worked a code5, that means he didn't take his hour lunch or his breaks. Why does that need explaining, I thought you used to work here?

ImpactedTSG

There's nothing "funny" about it, he worked a code5, that means he didn't take his hour lunch or his breaks. Why does that need explaining, I thought you used to work here?
I apologize then. I didn't know what code 5 was. I did work there, but I was never a driver so I didn't realize a code 5 meant to skip lunches or breaks. :whiteflag:

New Englander

Hey Griff.....could you please give me a bit more negative rep points and call me an idiot in it?
Please?

My god man....do you honestly think I care about rep points on an anonymous forum? LOL!

Go get em' tiger!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Does GPS show you sitting at lunch for 2 hours?

"This guy needs more work."

I do the job given to me in the AM
If I'm ahead of schedule by my pickup schedule, what's the sense of calling?
By the time a meetpoint was set and I drive there, I don't have time for the work
So I'll wait for the pickup

helenofcalifornia

If you do only 45 stops, I sure as heck hope you are in early every evening. How many miles do you do? What is the average pieces you carry? I too, would have 45 stops off by 10:30 or 11 a.m. (and at least 100-125 pieces.) You must recognize that the body will age and you will slow down. Fact of UPS life.

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
If you do only 45 stops, I sure as heck hope you are in early every evening. How many miles do you do? What is the average pieces you carry? I too, would have 45 stops off by 10:30 or 11 a.m. (and at least 100-125 pieces.) You must recognize that the body will age and you will slow down. Fact of UPS life.

40- 45 rural route stops, 210-230 miles(in a p47 sprinter), 45 miles traveling to the 1st stop and the same from my last pickup, and pieces anywhere from 65- 100 . I deliver in a small town that has around 900 residents in a county that has a population of of less than 8,000. 25-30 of those stops are delivered in town depending on how early I want to get off I can leave a lot of them where the people work in town. After about 10:00, I head out of town to make the rest of the deliveries and get back around 2, make 5 pickups and head in. Usually if I think I need some work to plan I'll just stop and get a pickup or two on the way in. I am usually about a half hour under so they leave me alone

DS

Fenderbender
That is my exact problem Helen. If I stop, Im done. So I break mine up and take five breaks. But If we could skip it and get paid I would, but if we skip it there is no code 5.
Everyone is different,I look forward to a nice lunch every day,be it soup or lasagna or a sandwich or two.Hamburger helper cheezy shells are delicious when you add romano cheeze,ground black pepper I heat it up on my p800 heater.Time to put my feet up and relax.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
40- 45 rural route stops, 210-230 miles(in a p47 sprinter), 45 miles traveling to the 1st stop and the same from my last pickup, and pieces anywhere from 65- 100 . I deliver in a small town that has around 900 residents in a county that has a population of of less than 8,000. 25-30 of those stops are delivered in town depending on how early I want to get off I can leave a lot of them where the people work in town. After about 10:00, I head out of town to make the rest of the deliveries and get back around 2, make 5 pickups and head in. Usually if I think I need some work to plan I'll just stop and get a pickup or two on the way in. I am usually about a half hour under so they leave me alone

Wow dude, can I have your route? It sounds like pure gravy.