Don't ask --Don't tell Will never work !!!

" My personal religious beliefs and moral convictions do not permit me to treat homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle, compatible with military service, any more than adultery, illicit drug use, or criminal activity. I believe this lifestyle runs counter to good order and discipline in military units, and I refuse to sacrifice my belief system, protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, in order to fall in line with the command policy that will logically follow."
I would be willing to bet that some version of this statement was an intro to the decision to make it against military code for homosexuals to serve in the US military.

bbsam

Staff member
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=243213

header_exclusive.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]THE GAYING OF AMERICA[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Officer won't sign order for troop indoctrination[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Asks to be relieved of command over repeal of 'gay' ban in military[/FONT]

" My personal religious beliefs and moral convictions do not permit me to treat homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle, compatible with military service, any more than adultery, illicit drug use, or criminal activity. I believe this lifestyle runs counter to good order and discipline in military units, and I refuse to sacrifice my belief system, protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, in order to fall in line with the command policy that will logically follow."

I would absolutely relieve this individual from his command...and let him begin again as an enlisted soldier. Besides, I'm not sure his First Amendment rights exist in respect to millitary chain of command even exist. Of course all such requests would have to pass muster similar to that of a conscientious objector since that is what this is in a nut shell.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That guy sounds like a piss poor leader who is just hanging around for the retirement, let him resign his commission and move on. Good, dedicated officers who place the highest priority on accomplishment of the mission and welfare of the troops (which is where the priority should be) will stay, implement the new policy, and make it work. In five to ten years it will be seen as a non issue.

tieguy

Banned
That guy sounds like a piss poor leader who is just hanging around for the retirement, let him resign his commission and move on. Good, dedicated officers who place the highest priority on accomplishment of the mission and welfare of the troops (which is where the priority should be) will stay, implement the new policy, and make it work. In five to ten years it will be seen as a non issue.

I dont know that there will be much implementing required. this issue appears to be generational to me.

when I entered the army thirty plus years ago I went to medical AIT after basic and was getting moved in to my new barrack accomadations along wtih many others. At that point a senior platton sargent came in and said hi. while there he asked us what we would do if we found a gay person in the barracks. At that point some lughead quipped " beat the :censored2: out of him". the sargent rewarded the lughead with a three day pass.

That was plain wrong. I had to jump on klein for his idiotic example that actually made an argument against the repeal of dont ask dont tell But I'm fine with the repeal for the reason others gave here that discovery of your gay identity would result in your immediate expulsion from the military.

with that said though I think our gay military people have to keep in mind the unit cohesiveness issue and not make their sexuality a disruption or distraction.

the military spends a lot of time through the training process breaking all of us down and stripping us of our individual identities. They then try to rebuild us as one team with one common purpose.
Its an aspect that the civilan world will never fully appreciate. To develop the best fighting force in the world you need a team of people that are basically clones of each other.

Basically looking , walking, talking and fighting as one. Its somewhat a contradiction to the civilan concepts of valuing diversity. In the military we tend to strip you of your diversity.

The best answer is probably a dont ask dont tell without consequence.