Don't be dumb

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm seriously getting tired of dealing with the fallout of the previous driver on my route because he was dumb.

Today: Angry jeweler in office building "Why didn't you leave my package yesterday. I took the day off."
I'm sorry I'm not allowed to release packages for businesses.

"You don't release them. You're supposed to sign my name like the last driver always did."

If I sign your name I lose my job and my diabetic son loses his medical insurance and we'll be homeless. And you really would want thousands of dollars of jewelry left in a public hallway?

"Wow, sorry, you're right. I never thought about that."

I've had 5 of those conversations so far about releasing businesses or forging signatures with angry customers with messed up expectations. I don't mind re-training customers but this is too much.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BrownTexas

Had a guy today told me to sign his name while he wasn't doing a dang thing.

I told him," no it's not worth my job."

He said," everyone else does it."

I said," I'm not getting fired because u don't want to sign. Would you like me to refuse the packages for you?"

He said," No I will sign for them."

Idiots I tell you. All idiots.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yup. Only time I ever was conflicted was this diesel mechanic place I used to deliver to. Every day the poor guy would look at me with greasy hands under a hood like really? I had the owner of the shop sign a standing SDN releasing UPS of all claims and the center manager signed the bottom making it legit. Even that isn't by the book but best option without putting my job in jeopardy.

Sent using BrownCafe App

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Getting customers to sign their packages is too much? Give me a break.

Just tell them sign or it goes back. No need for all that "I'll be homeless nonsense". And you should really start planning for the future if you'd be homeless so quick.

oldngray

nowhere special
Have them make any kind of scribble as long as its them signing. Its not your problem if it doesn't look like their signature as long as they were the one who signed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Had a guy today told me to sign his name while he wasn't doing a dang thing.

I told him," no it's not worth my job."

He said," everyone else does it."

I said," I'm not getting fired because u don't want to sign. Would you like me to refuse the packages for you?"

He said," No I will sign for them."

Idiots I tell you. All idiots.
It's not really the customer's fault...if the other driver did it....they assume it's not a big deal.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yup. Only time I ever was conflicted was this diesel mechanic place I used to deliver to. Every day the poor guy would look at me with greasy hands under a hood like really? I had the owner of the shop sign a standing SDN releasing UPS of all claims and the center manager signed the bottom making it legit. Even that isn't by the book but best option without putting my job in jeopardy.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Had a customer like that but with hydraulic fluid. I gave him his own stylus. Problem solved.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just blame it on some new "corporate crackdown". Once customers think you have no control, the situation is defused.

worldwide

Just blame it on some new "corporate crackdown". Once customers think you have no control, the situation is defused.

No need to blame anyone or anything. That is UPS policy at a commercial location, apartment buildings and certain other locations - no signature, no package. Do those people that want you to forge their name want someone on the other end forging signatures for their packages?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire

Just tell them sign or it goes back. No need for all that "I'll be homeless nonsense". And you should really start planning for the future if you'd be homeless so quick.

Maybe, you could give him the number to your Edward Jones advisor.

Sent using a Potato

jaker

trolling
I had this one guy lie to the cover guy doing my route , they had a sig req pkg and told the cover guy that I sign for them

I told the cover guy that I don't do that and don't believe anyone when they say that , what pisses me off is his wife has my number and she will text me asking what time I will be there or if she can meet me to get her sig pkg because she knows I won't leave them

I used to be able to take the pkgs to their MIL house to have her sign but she moved

Man I don't even sign my own pkgs I get , I just put met man and walk into the house

Overpaid Union Thug

I always figure out very quickly which bid drivers sign for packages. It easy. Customers give me that look of bewilderment when I give them the DIAD and stylus.

On a side note....the same routes that have bid drivers that sign for packages (and/or other ridiculous BS) are the same ones that are impossible to scratch. Hmmm........

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I had this one guy lie to the cover guy doing my route , they had a sig req pkg and told the cover guy that I sign for them

I told the cover guy that I don't do that and don't believe anyone when they say that , what pisses me off is his wife has my number and she will text me asking what time I will be there or if she can meet me to get her sig pkg because she knows I won't leave them

I used to be able to take the pkgs to their MIL house to have her sign but she moved

Man I don't even sign my own pkgs I get , I just put met man and walk into the house
Those are same customers who say ..." So and so is allways here by 11"...... Lmfao. When 4 or 5 coustomer so tell you that a day on same route something's up.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Sent using BrownCafe App

I had a complaint called in because I would not enter a home and place the heavy as hell Omaha Steaks cooler in the kitchen. Apparently at my center this is OK to do since they were elderly and the other driver(s) do it.

Yeah, I felt bad and probably could have done it without recourse but I was always taught not to enter a home. If ya can't lift the dang thing into your own home, then maybe you shouldn't order 80lbs of steaks. I know everyone will bash me for saying that but oh well...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I had a complaint called in because I would not enter a home and place the heavy as hell Omaha Steaks cooler in the kitchen. Apparently at my center this is OK to do since they were elderly and the other driver(s) do it.

Yeah, I felt bad and probably could have done it without recourse but I was always taught not to enter a home. If ya can't lift the dang thing into your own home, then maybe you shouldn't order 80lbs of steaks. I know everyone will bash me for saying that but oh well...
No, it's not okay, even if it's common practice in your center. Go ahead and damage something while bringing a package into someone's home and watch what happens.
P.S. I'm not saying don't go the extra mile for the elderly or disabled--just that corporate policies can't be thrown out the window at certain centers.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

I've been with UPS 5 years and driving for a year and a half so I'm still making less than starting driver pay. I'm not living paycheck to paycheck but the loss of my employment could eventually lead to serious financial problems as having a kid on an insulin pump without insurance isn't cheap.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
No, it's not okay, even if it's common practice in your center. Go ahead and damage something while bringing a package into someone's home and watch what happens.
P.S. I'm not saying don't go the extra mile for the elderly or disabled--just that corporate policies can't be thrown out the window at certain centers.

...and that's why I wouldn't enter. Yes I felt bad and probably would have been pissed if that was my mother in that situation but I am not getting caught up in a trick bag be it damage the customer's property, get accused of theft or inappropriate conduct, etc...No thanks. I work hard for the money I make and I am not about to lose it over something stupid like anything I mentioned.