Don't be stupid!

hypo hanna

Yesterday one of our drivers was banned from a customers dock. A big shipper who never has their packages ready. After repeated warnings he had had enough and told them he wasn't going to wait. They got mad and it got heated. They called back in saying he missed the pickup but knowing their history, the dispatcher wasn't buying it. I guess my point is, there is no point getting the customer all pissed off. Just tell them your manager no longer gives you the time to wait. That all the packages need to be ready at the ready time. No exceptions. Put the responsibility for bad customer service where it belongs, on management.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What about WAD? If management says wait, wait.

Yes. The proper WAD method would be to call management from the dock and force them to make a decision on whether or not the courier continues to wait. Grasshopper bbsam, you have become a very good student of WAD.

hypo hanna

Yes. The proper WAD method would be to call management from the dock and force them to make a decision on whether or not the courier continues to wait. Grasshopper bbsam, you have become a very good student of WAD.
Exactly!
Get it in writing that this is a special customer and you have been givin so much extra time for the stop. Then have him adjust your goals accordingly.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Most managers won't bother to deal with customers like that. Especially high volume shippers. It's easier for them to throw the courier under the bus instead.

bbsam

Staff member

It's a simple concept. Unfortunately some think WAD means fight and they destroy the long term benefits.

CJinx

Sounds like sales should go do their jobs and negotiate a later pickup time.

...so the whole process can start all over. lol
Just my opinion. ;)

Doc Sorting Dude

The problem with big shippers is that they don't realize any kind of delay puts the courier in a bind. I myself have to make the shuttle back at the station on time. The shippers on my route who's not ready when I get there take their packages to FXO. But MFE has it right. Call dispatch from dock and tell them your problem. I would say reassign my pups while I wait here. If this goes on daily, dispatch will get on the managers and Sales too. We have several accounts that the crr only pups Mem frt and leaves the WCO for the late courier to pup.

whenIgetthere

We had a customer do that to a courier the other day, he got back to the station late. The CTV left for the ramp 15 minutes late, and ALL our outbound freight missed the flight. We are so far from the ramp, any delay such as the one above can be a disaster! Managers were throwing each other under the bus. The courier called his manager and was told to wait, so he did. WAD, manager effed up big time.

!Retired!

Can't the courier run his route differently and get there later? A manager can just deny he/she ever told the courier to wait. If its already his last stop (or close to it), get a time from either the manager or dispatch on when to leave.

USE YOUR POWERPAD or text the manager. CYA ALWAYS!!!!

whenIgetthere

Can't the courier run his route differently and get there later? A manager can just deny he/she ever told the courier to wait. If its already his last stop (or close to it), get a time from either the manager or dispatch on when to leave.

I don't know the route in question, but it was his last stop, even after getting his dropboxes. From what I understand, this customer has an 1800 close, he got there at 1755, and they wanted another half hour. That stop is 30 miles from the station, station is 90-100 miles from the ramp. Don't know how he contacted manager, though, could have been call, text or ppad.

hypo hanna

​get it in writing. Managers can sign onto a power pad or through their desktop computer with JDAds.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Sometimes if you even get back on time and wait for such nonesense you still get problems. I picked up roughly 37,000 smalls in those gaylord containers.... got back at 8:30 with the straight truck I covered after my van route. How was I to know all the smalls travel 4 miles inside our facility before they get on the right outbound?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
​get it in writing. Managers can sign onto a power pad or through their desktop computer with JDAds.

The courier in question needs to just sit at the customer and do nothing until directed by a member of FedEx management as to EXACTLY what they are supposed to do. It is not up to the courier to argue with the customer or make any sort of decision...it is MANAGEMENT'S call to make. He/she needs to inform Dispatch and/or Management that the customer is requiring them to stay and then drop the ticking bomb into THEIR lap. Wait for THEIR decision, and do not engage the customer. If they get pissed, guess who will be thrown under the bus? Just wait there like a mushroom in the dark, covered with the stink of management incompetence. Let the :censored2: flow where it needs to...back on Management.

Ricochet1a

I addressed this issue a few months ago. In short, CYA and WAD!

Yesterday one of our drivers was banned from a customers dock. A big shipper who never has their packages ready. After repeated warnings he had had enough and told them he wasn't going to wait. They got mad and it got heated. They called back in saying he missed the pickup but knowing their history, the dispatcher wasn't buying it. I guess my point is, there is no point getting the customer all pissed off. Just tell them your manager no longer gives you the time to wait. That all the packages need to be ready at the ready time. No exceptions. Put the responsibility for bad customer service where it belongs, on management.

In theory, this is correct. BUT, the Courier will be shoved under the bus EVERY time if this customer calls in and complains about 'bad service'.

Everyone (Express Couriers) repeat after me:

NEVER get caught between FedEx and a high revenue customer, I (the Courier) will lose every time, NO MATTER if I'm in the right.

So what is the Courier to do??? Keep reading.

Exactly!
Get it in writing that this is a special customer and you have been givin so much extra time for the stop. Then have him adjust your goals accordingly.

This is a start. Management isn't going to give you ANYTHING in writing. If you think they will, you are dreaming.

Step one: Notify dispatch that you are at customer's location after ready time, they aren't ready and you are going to wait the policy dictated 5 minutes - then you are going to scan what they have and leave.

This is going to get your dispatcher to start earning their pay.

Be prepared to receive a text message telling you to wait - if and when you receive this message, WAD. Then respond to your dispatcher about any other stops of yours which you will arrive late to, or if the delay at this 'high revenue' customer will cause you to RTB late and miss the outbound truck/feeder flight.

At this point, your dispatcher will begin to frantically send out messages to other Couriers around you if they can get some of your stops. Don't be afraid to do this. You AREN'T dumping on your fellow Couriers, you are merely WAD. Expect them to do the same, then if you are able to help, do so. If not -don't reply to the broadcast message. Your manager will get a call from dispatch - this will bring your manager into the fun - it is their job, let them have some fun too.

Most managers won't bother to deal with customers like that. Especially high volume shippers. It's easier for them to throw the courier under the bus instead.

Most managers WILL try to throw the Courier under the bus - you are quite correct. So...

After following Step One.

Step Two: When you get home (after all is said and done), pull out some writing paper and start writing a summary of what happened that day, who you contacted, what you did, and any responses you received. Make DAMN SURE you note when you arrived at customer's location, what you told the customer and what you did. Then after writing this up in your handwriting (this is important), then get onto your computer, type it in and save it. Go ahead and print out a copy. Save the hand written account (this is VITAL), then keep a print out of the computer transcribed version 'handy'.

The problem with big shippers is that they don't realize any kind of delay puts the courier in a bind. I myself have to make the shuttle back at the station on time. The shippers on my route who's not ready when I get there take their packages to FXO. But MFE has it right. Call dispatch from dock and tell them your problem. I would say reassign my pups while I wait here. If this goes on daily, dispatch will get on the managers and Sales too. We have several accounts that the crr only pups Mem frt and leaves the WCO for the late courier to pup.

Big shippers think they are 'special'. They have 'special needs', therefore deserve special treatment - in their opinion. They don't give a damn about any other problems that the package jockey that is picking up THEIR PACKAGES, may have with other customers - not their problem, they don't give a damn. Informing them about FXO is a start, but the real pains in the butt aren't going to want to take their packages on a drive - they will expect package jockey to wait - even if it is for 15 or more minutes.

Calling dispatch is the correct answer (step one).

We had a customer do that to a courier the other day, he got back to the station late. The CTV left for the ramp 15 minutes late, and ALL our outbound freight missed the flight. We are so far from the ramp, any delay such as the one above can be a disaster! Managers were throwing each other under the bus. The courier called his manager and was told to wait, so he did. WAD, manager effed up big time.

Such is Express and such is why the Courier needs to send the message via POWERPAD and not make a cell call. All text sent over Powerpad is saved, so you have a record to back you up in case your manager or dispatcher tries to get crafty about what you told them in order to toss YOU under the bus. Send ALL MESSAGES which have any potential operational impact via Powerpad so that you have that to back you up once management and dispatch starting trying to shove knives into each other's backs.

As long as the Courier arrives after the ready time and before the close time - the Courier SHOULDN'T try to give the customer a 'specific time' pickup. There are reasons for pickup windows, don't shoot yourself in the foot by making a customer think they will receive a time specific pickup. Their pickup needs to be ready at the agreed ready time and YOU have until the close time to get there. The window is for YOUR benefit to enable you to get your job done - it IS NOT for the customer's benefit to give them until the close time to get their act together.

I don't know the route in question, but it was his last stop, even after getting his dropboxes. From what I understand, this customer has an 1800 close, he got there at 1755, and they wanted another half hour. That stop is 30 miles from the station, station is 90-100 miles from the ramp. Don't know how he contacted manager, though, could have been call, text or ppad.

Precisely...

Getting them to send a message back to you via powerpad is VERY IMPORTANT. It eliminates any ability of theirs to claim 'miscommunication' on your part. This is why you SHOULDN'T use you cell on the job for any reason whatsoever - you will only end up screwing yourself by using it.

I'm going to assume that this customer is a habitual 'not ready'...

So, step three.

After doing your write ups EACH time this situation occurs, take in the computer print outs to your senior manager (arrange a meeting in office with them), and let your senior know there is a problem and you are documenting the problem to protect yourself. Let your senior KEEP the computer print outs of your transcribed statement. If your senior is paranoid, they might try to tell you that you cannot make statements about work activities or such.... BULL CRAP! You can make as much documentation as you want to illustrate the problems going on at Express.

If your senior won't address the problem, go ahead and print out some more copies of your statements, then send them to both HR and your regional director - get them in on the game. Once they learn that there is a situation brewing, that there is documentation about the problem and nothing is being done to solve it - they will act.

Just as Express has its employees make a written statement anytime something goes wrong, by your keeping this 'journal' of situations where you WAD and management or dispatch dropped the ball - you are letting it be known that you aren't one to be shoved under the bus without a fight. I've written that by the time I left Express, I had a stack of hand written 'notes' that were almost 2 inches thick that I kept tucked away at home. Whenever something came up, I'd print out the computer versions, take them into management and more or less made it known that I had some dirt on them - they had better not try to casually shove me under the bus.

In this situation (after you've covered YOUR butt), what will happen is that Express will call the customer and do one of three things:

1. Tell them the ready time is 'hard', and they need to have their packages ready at that time or they will need to make other arrangements. If they do this, you have justification to faint...

2. Tell them that their ready time is going to be adjusted, but the 'new ready time' is 'hard' (no deviations). This is the most likely scenario

3. Tell them that they will arrange for a separate pickup at a time of their choosing (this is for the REALLY high revenue customers). Express does this rarely, since it REALLY screws with getting freight to the outbound flights.

You will have turned this problem customer, into a problem for your management, sales and dispatch. You aren't paid enough to be placed into this Catch-22 situation, by CYA, WAD and then letting your management and sales fight it out - you are out of the picture and you can continue your merry way.

Ricochet1a

To clarify why you need to have handwritten notes...

In case Express cans your butt for one thing or another, you've got some 'ammo' to use either in a wrongful termination civil case, OR, ammo to use in contesting Express trying to deny you unemployment. By having a holographic statement (a document in the handwriting of the author), this carries greater weight than just having a bunch of computer print outs (should things progress to legal action).

In addition to handwriting a statement, both date and sign the statement after you've created it. By keeping a journal of such statements, the statements are considered admissible evidence for any hearing. Make sure the writing is legible and try to keep your grammar as correct as possible. Don't worry about any occasional spelling errors. If you do have difficulty in writing, type your 'journal entry' FIRST into MS Word or such word processor - it will auto correct spelling and grammar. THEN, hand write from the print out, sign, date and save it.

Bailey4

Additionally, I always snap a shot of the power pad screen communication with my cell phone when I think I could be involved in something that could roll downhill. That way if you get canned....you have collaborative information to go with your journal. And most importantly, you do not need to be at the mercy of Fedex to call up the information from the power pad records. This comes in handy even if your not canned ...like when the occasional unethical manager tries to deny some action they told you to take. A shot of that screen shows the their comments and yours. You can download that to your commputer for safe keeping and you have covered the ole behind a wee bit more.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
To clarify why you need to have handwritten notes...

In case Express cans your butt for one thing or another, you've got some 'ammo' to use either in a wrongful termination civil case, OR, ammo to use in contesting Express trying to deny you unemployment. By having a holographic statement (a document in the handwriting of the author), this carries greater weight than just having a bunch of computer print outs (should things progress to legal action).

Thanks for this input. I need to pass this one on.

In addition to handwriting a statement, both date and sign the statement after you've created it. By keeping a journal of such statements, the statements are considered admissible evidence for any hearing. Make sure the writing is legible and try to keep your grammar as correct as possible. Don't worry about any occasional spelling errors. If you do have difficulty in writing, type your 'journal entry' FIRST into MS Word or such word processor - it will auto correct spelling and grammar. THEN, hand write from the print out, sign, date and save it.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Additionally, I always snap a shot of the power pad screen communication with my cell phone when I think I could be involved in something that could roll downhill. That way if you get canned....you have collaborative information to go with your journal. And most importantly, you do not need to be at the mercy of Fedex to call up the information from the power pad records. This comes in handy even if your not canned ...like when the occasional unethical manager tries to deny some action they told you to take. A shot of that screen shows the their comments and yours. You can download that to your commputer for safe keeping and you have covered the ole behind a wee bit more.
Just do not do this while driving.