Don't get sick

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
We had a similar situation with a part timer at our center. Could not pass the return to work physical. I think the advice you are being given to seek out the union and possibly an attorney are spot on. I hope this can go your way, but I know the company will not make it easy.

UPSGUY72

I'm out 1 day every week, I get week long treatments every 2 months or so. 1/2 of the MS medication I can't take because I'm allergic to. I can't pass a field soberity test stone cold sober. Without the heavy meds I take I'm almost bedridden. I have gone from doing stand ups on my R6, being confined to a wheelchair and everything in between.

Your out 1 day a week so that 52 day a year than every month or two your out a week lets say it 8 weeks a year. So that's 86 days a year your out with out calling in. So out of about 254 days of work a year you only there 168 days at the most are any red flags waving yet. than you say that you can't take half the medication they give you but when you take the medication that you can. You basically can't work and if you don't take the medication you can't work ?

Maybe it's time to see a different Dr and get a second opinion on what medication you should be taken so you can continue to work.

How do you pass your DOT physical ???????????????????? From what you say above I don't know a Dot approved Dr that would sign off on your DOT card.

UPSGUY72

About the stop count, I ended up with the most in our building and the guys here saw it. Part of it had to do with pass/Ed and the sorry pathetic management we have here where I am.

So what is it did you stop count double or go up 10- 20 stops.

If you did stretch the truth to start your story would be more believable.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Whatever you do, don't get sick. If you do get sick it behooves you not to saying anything because if you do management will make your life hell. They call it being medically discharged but I call it being fired. Don't bother with the ADA process because it is only another reason for them to "medically discharge you". Am I angry, yes. Can I do anything about it, no. So if you like to eat and keep a roof over your head you may not want to say anything. And Im not talking about a cold or the flu.

Really....

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 98. I was doing ok up until 4 years ago. I was in jeopardy of be fired because of occasions so I had to apply for FMLA. Roughly two weeks after I went from 80 stops for an 8 hour day to 155 stops for the same 8 hour day. It has been up hill ever since. I have been told to quit or go out on disability by local management. I have been "fired" 3 times this year alone.

If you have a "documented" medical condition.... you have options.

"Fired" for what ?

Do you mean "terminated".... by an official letter from the company ? Help me out here.

How did you return to work ? If you were terminated.... your Local was involved.

Perhaps you should seek advice from your local BA and a labor attorney. I wouldn't come here for professional advice.

Hmmm.... could be a "non-paying dues" person in a right to work state.

Biggest issue is the Union aspect of everything. When you say Union they say sorry we can't help.

Whats your Local ?

I'm out 1 day every week, I get week long treatments every 2 months or so. 1/2 of the MS medication I can't take because I'm allergic to. I can't pass a field soberity test stone cold sober. Without the heavy meds I take I'm almost bedridden. I have gone from doing stand ups on my R6, being confined to a wheelchair and everything in between.

You do know about ADA.... short term disability.... long term disability....

On Monday I was told they may have a job for me. Wednesday I was told I was unfit to work based on my ADA request. I had to get a letter stating I was fine to get my job back. So if you want to call BS go ahead. All I'm telling you and all I'm saying is don't get sick.

Wrong.

About the stop count, I ended up with the most in our building and the guys here saw it. Part of it had to do with pass/Ed and the sorry pathetic management we have here where I am.

If I started a thread telling people not to get MS would it have helped you?

There is a well respected member of this forum.... that might be able help.

Believe it or not I do have some pride. I would rather do what I'm doing than go out on disability, welfare or be like the EBT swipin pot smokers I deliver to every day.

Do you have a legitimate medical condition.... or not ?

So what is it did you stop count double or go up 10- 20 stops.

If you did stretch the truth to start your story would be more believable.

XISR

First Q, I went from 80 stops to 155 due to pass and management.
Second Q, I have been pulled off route 3 times this year and made to see the ups Dr. and to get documentation from my Dr. stating I'm functional.

XISR

Third Q, I am currently on intermittent FMLA schedule.
Fourth Q, I pay dues.

I have to get my DOT renewed every year not every two like most.

I really hope you contact an attorney soon. And I really am sorry you have ms. A good friend of mine has this disease and it is heartbreaking to see her go through it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
First Q, I went from 80 stops to 155 due to pass and management.
Second Q, I have been pulled off route 3 times this year and made to see the ups Dr. and to get documentation from my Dr. stating I'm functional.

Third Q, I am currently on intermittent FMLA schedule.
Fourth Q, I pay dues.

I have to get my DOT renewed every year not every two like most.

Thats what I thought.

​-Bug-

Indecisi0n

First off who cares what your stop count is, Do what you can do and that's it. Second if you really care about your job you will get a attorney ASAP and document EVERYTHING. If all of what your saying is going on then its a damn good case for a medical discrimination lawsuit.

bellesmom

Biggest issue is the Union aspect of everything. When you say Union they say sorry we can't help.

Don't expect help from the Union as much like UPS you are only important to them as an active employee. Get a good labor and ADA lawyer and if your Dr. will not help you with paperwork find one that will. UPS has the reputation among the public of being a "good" company so the worst is always thought of the employee in these situations. You have a legitimate diagnosis which should help. Good luck!

OptimusPrime

I don't mean this to come off as negative, it is what it is. If your motor skills have suffered to the point of multiple falls per day, and being unable to pass a field sobriety test sober, you really should get out of package car. You could wind up seriously injuring yourself or others. I wish you all the best.

C

chuchu

You need to Google: JDSupra EEOC finds ups liable. The company just recently lost their appeals against the EEOC in arguing that they have a right to refuse ADA approved employees that have gotten hurt or sick and a Dr gave them an MMI (maximum medical improvement rating) light duty work. The company appealed three times and the federal court said UPS's collective bargaining agreement does NOT trump federal law for ADA employees. This is huge. Everyone needs to read this because it should nullify the MMI language in existing supplements and the language that the IBT is wanting to allow in the proposed Central Supplement. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: