Don't give to the United Way! Here's why

cmoll

The third worst offender was again for the 7th time was, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary (U.S. funds), plus so many numerous expense benefits it's hard to keep track as to what it is all worth, including a fully paid lifetime membership for 2 golf courses (1 in Canada, and 1 in the U.S.A.), 2 luxury vehicles, a yacht club membership, 3 major company gold credit cards for his personal expenses...and so on. This equates to about $0.51 per dollar of income goes to charity causes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The third worst offender was again for the 7th time was, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary (U.S. funds), plus so many numerous expense benefits it's hard to keep track as to what it is all worth, including a fully paid lifetime membership for 2 golf courses (1 in Canada, and 1 in the U.S.A.), 2 luxury vehicles, a yacht club membership, 3 major company gold credit cards for his personal expenses...and so on. This equates to about $0.51 per dollar of income goes to charity causes.

The above "article" is from an e-mail whose origin was 2005.
Some of the info was updated in 2010.
See debunk here at snopes.com
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Origins: When deciding which charities to donate to, many people consider an important factor to be the "efficiency" of these organizations — that is, what percentage of the monies taken in by a given charity goes to funding its mission rather than being eaten up by costs such as fundraising activities, salaries, and other administrative overhead.

The e-mail reproduced above, which began circulating in 2005 and has been re-circulated every year since then around Christmastime, attempts to steer potential donors away from inefficient charities. Unfortunately, much of the information it presents was inaccurate back in 2005, and it has grown only more so in the years since then, resulting in a misleading and outdated view of various charities. We attempt to present accurate and up-to-date information about the named charities below.

The following efficiency information is derived from the Charity Navigator web site, the GuideStar web site and Forbes magazine's November 2009special report on the 200 Largest U.S. Charities. Salary information is taken from Schedule J (Compensation Information) of the various charities' IRS Form 990 filings, an annual reporting return that certain federally tax-exempt organizations must file with the IRS which provides information on the filing organization's mission, programs, and finances. (In the context of this article, the term "efficiency" refers to the percentage of total budget/expenses that each listed organization spends on providing charitable programs and services, while the term "compensation" or "pay" includes salary, one-time payments, and deferred compensation.)

• United Way: The United Way is another charitable organization that operates on both global and local levels. We're assuming the e-mail references the President and CEO of United Way Worldwide, Brian A. Gallagher, whose last reported total yearly compensation was $717,076 (including a base salary of $415,613, which is a bit higher than the $375,000 figure reported above). Charity Navigator rates this organization's efficiency at 89%, while Forbes rates it at 85%, both much higher than the 51% efficiency claimed in the e-mail.

cmoll

Thank you for the updated information. Making $718,000.00 asking people to donate to the less fortunate makes me sick. Nancy at the local food bank donates all of her time collecting food to feed hungry human beings. Again if you are going to donate look first in your community where 100% of your donation goes to help those in need.

JL 0513

If he really makes that much, it is outrageous for the head of a CHARITY. I'm all for making whatever you can make in the private sector for regular business organizations. If a company wants to compensate a CEO with $10M, so be it. But when it comes to a charity that begs for donations from hard working people, and the President is living a lavish lifestyle from those donations, I have a problem with that. I've been giving to United Way since I started at $8/hr. So workers making $8/hr were lining the pockets of this guy and I'm sure many other highly paid leaders of the organization. That is indeed sickening.

cmoll

If he really makes that much, it is outrageous for the head of a CHARITY. I'm all for making whatever you can make in the private sector for regular business organizations. If a company wants to compensate a CEO with $10M, so be it. But when it comes to a charity that begs for donations from hard working people, and the President is living a lavish lifestyle from those donations, I have a problem with that. I've been giving to United Way since I started at $8/hr. So workers making $8/hr were lining the pockets of this guy and I'm sure many other highly paid leaders of the organization. That is indeed sickening.

The top three worst charity ceo's are #1 unicef. #2 Red Cross and for the 7th straight year the ceo of the United way.

clean hairy

If everyone who gives specifies a charity, where do the $ come from to pay the ceo so much?
Is there somewhere to see total amount of salaries for all employees?
I know of one charity where over 95% goes to the charity.

Overpaid Union Thug

Really the only reason why we shouldn't give to the United Way is because UPS is so pushy about it and is pushy because they need to satisfy a metric that was generated in Atlanta. Not to help anyone that the funds would go to.

O

OLDMAN3

Actually the $718,000 (compensation figure for Brian A. Gallagher is an old figure and needs to be updated...

From 2012

Brian Gallagher, president of United Way Worldwide, who received $520,043 in salary, a $180,657 bonus, $470,801 in deferred payments and $48,804 in other payments

For a total of:
$1,220,262

Wiki states over 1.5 Million for 2012:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Gallagher

Couldn't find 2013 #s

Last edited by a moderator:

Overpaid Union Thug

Actually the $718,000 (compensation figure for Brian A. Gallagher is an old figure and needs to be updated...

From 2012

Brian Gallagher, president of United Way Worldwide, who received $520,043 in salary, a $180,657 bonus, $470,801 in deferred payments and $48,804 in other payments

For a total of:
$1,220,262

Couldn't find 2013 #s

Maybe he kicks back a little to UPS via stock purchases?

Just Lurking

If everyone who gives specifies a charity, where do the $ come from to pay the ceo so much?
Is there somewhere to see total amount of salaries for all employees?
I know of one charity where over 95% goes to the charity.

Defining your contribution only works if you can get everyone to work together.

United Way has already decided how much money each charity will receive on a local level. Unless you can get people to donate more money than United Way allocated for your specific charity it will not work.

United Way splits $100 between four charities evenly.

Andrew donates $20.
Bob donates $40.
Charles donates $30.
David donates $10 specifying Charity 1.

United Way gives David money along $15 from the other to Charity 1. Makes no difference.

Now United Way would have a problem if Bob had specified his donation because it would be greater than their allocation.

Does this make sense.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They can shove it! Say no and management comes back at you. What's that all about? People cave under pressure so it works.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Defining your contribution only works if you can get everyone to work together.

United Way has already decided how much money each charity will receive on a local level. Unless you can get people to donate more money than United Way allocated for your specific charity it will not work.

United Way splits $100 between four charities evenly.

Andrew donates $20.
Bob donates $40.
Charles donates $30.
David donates $10 specifying Charity 1.

United Way gives David money along $15 from the other to Charity 1. Makes no difference.

Now United Way would have a problem if Bob had specified his donation because it would be greater than their allocation.

Does this make sense.
Yep. It's all bs. If you want to donate. Find a homeless guy, and buy him dinner , find a family down on there luck, pay there mortgage , find a hungry family, buy them groceries. Etc , etc, etc.