Don't give to the United Way! Here's why

By The Book

Actually the $718,000 (compensation figure for Brian A. Gallagher is an old figure and needs to be updated...

From 2012

Brian Gallagher, president of United Way Worldwide, who received $520,043 in salary, a $180,657 bonus, $470,801 in deferred payments and $48,804 in other payments

For a total of:
$1,220,262

Couldn't find 2013 #s
Just doing some math.....,if 240,000 members donated $5.00 each, that's $1,200,000.00. Man that's a lot of people that are giving to this mans salary, before $1.00 goes to an actual person receiving charity. This was an easy decision for me, looking at it as I could give to those in need, when I couldn't be there in person, and it helped on the taxes. With all this information I may need to drive around my town and give to the causes that I feel make an impact.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Assigning a compliance metric to regional and district level management teams that forces them to be overly assertive in their quest to "ask" their employees to "donate" money doesn't constitute being good corporate citizens. Quite the opposite actually.
The ones to blame are the people who are giving, not the ones chasing donations. Big business, big charity, big union, all are filled with inefficiencies and corruption of course. We all have choices.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can blame UPS because they are over reaching in their methods. They aren't selling shoes.
I don't think they are overreaching in all cases or all-around, but yeah probably in isolated instances. They are selling UW subscriptions, not shoes but the concept is the same. Take their money. I for one wouldn't want to be making that sales pitch.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I never give united way any of my money, I always go straight to the source. I give a couple bucks to the people standing on the freeway off ramps.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I donate every week, but designate it to go to a charity of my choosing. I have nothing against the salary of the United Way, I just would rather my money going to children in need rather than whatever the United Way thinks it should go to.

bham brown

Find a local charity to give to.. I haven't given to UW in years.. They are the reason we don't have the Boy Scouts volume anymore.. When they were trying to be forced into accepting homosexuals UPS sided with UW and the BS pulled their accounts.. However, that is not why I don't give to UW..

bham brown

I donate every week, but designate it to go to a charity of my choosing. I have nothing against the salary of the United Way, I just would rather my money going to children in need rather than whatever the United Way thinks it should go to.

Not all of your money goes to the charity of your choosing, some stays with them.. If you really wanna help kids go buy a needy child Christmas presents.. But we know you are forced to give to UW.. It's a requirement of management to give so you can try and play that card to make hourly guys give..

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Find a local charity to give to.. I haven't given to UW in years.. They are the reason we don't have the Boy Scouts volume anymore.. When they were trying to be forced into accepting homosexuals UPS sided with UW and the BS pulled their accounts.. However, that is not why I don't give to UW..
Yet the Boy Scouts still accept United Way money, and have reversed their stance on homosexuals.... sounds like UPS might have been on the right side of that dilemma.

Ashell

I donated for the first time this year. I do directed donation to a charity I picked. I contacted the charity to make sure they were getting my money, and they get about 90% after united ways overhead. Yeah, that's 10% just for passing money along, but UPS kicks in 50% donation matching so its still good I guess.

My biggest issue is that we have united way parking spots. And Holy Crap do the Fulltime management think they are entitled to those spots! Only a few of them actually pay for it. I donate enough for a spot, but once a month there is someone parked in my spot. Then, the spot next to me has like half a dozen different cars that will park there, and there is no spot sharing. I got to enter 2 plates for my spot. And it should be like everyone knows who is parked next to everyone, but when you have the entitled freeloading managers just parking in any open spot, they don't give a rat's @$$ if they ding your car. You can go ask security to look at the cameras, but management isn't going to tell on management. Those cameras are only if you ding their car.

If anyone wants to try this out, the NFL is listed as a charity organization. So there has to be some way you can get season tickets, and a UPS parking spot, and your tax liability % of your donation off your taxes. Its like a win/win/win.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Not all of your money goes to the charity of your choosing, some stays with them.. If you really wanna help kids go buy a needy child Christmas presents.. But we know you are forced to give to UW.. It's a requirement of management to give so you can try and play that card to make hourly guys give..
It is not a requirement. I think the set up is perfect. I give every week without even thinking about it. I give more over the course of the year than I would be able to do with one check right to them.
but UPS kicks in 50% donation matching so its still good I guess.
It's 15%, not 50%