don't know about ups

ok, so i started in may 08....i was offered benefits and i signed up for it and received them..., so i got rehired in sept. and since this new contract started i received a letter in the mail stating that my insurance was cancelled because of termination, now i have to wait a whole year for insurance that I already had in the first darn place....this place is starting to become ridiculous....i cant get seniority because they use workers from night shift to come in and work shifts that i was hired to work instead of calling me in....i've been on call for 2 weeks now and have only worked one day because they use people with seniority instead...its b.s!

i wanna call hr to see if they can tell me why i can't have my insurance back...i think its stupid because i worked everyday for 4 months to get it and now they take it from me

i'm almost at my wits end with this job!

9.5 king

get in touch with your shop steward. join the union as soon as you make seniority again. they will guide you through these situations.

get in touch with your shop steward. join the union as soon as you make seniority again. they will guide you through these situations.

i pay my union dues just like all the other employees, been paying them since i started in may....they take 15 bucks outta my check for it

drewed

Shankman
Why did you get rehired?
If you quit it has nothing to do with UPS, they sent a term notice to the insurance provider and they cancel your policy.

On the other part.....Are they fters trying to get their hours? if so you get bumped

im guessing i was seasonal at first, so thats why i was rehired....i have never quit or gotten fired either so i guess its cause i was seasonal...but i still think they should reinstate it because of that reason

I still work there, drewed...they said that seasonal was over and i was a rehire and had me fill out the app again, but also stated that nothing would change, i was just getting hired in

IDoLessWorkThanMost

but now i have no insurance because of this rehire

Talk to a shop steward or rep. Or look into your regional supplement regarding the union and seasonal help. If you were hired on as seasonal in May, and you were never released, then you missed out on 5 months of seniority! I have never heard of seasonal help being hired in the spring though. Here in New England is post Sept 1st I believe, not sure about that though.

sx2700

Banned
Talk to a shop steward or rep. Or look into your regional supplement regarding the union and seasonal help. If you were hired on as seasonal in May, and you were never released, then you missed out on 5 months of seniority! I have never heard of seasonal help being hired in the spring though. Here in New England is post Sept 1st I believe, not sure about that though.

They hire seasonals at our center every spring to fill in for the part timers that cover vacations.

gandydancer

ok, so i started in may 08....i was offered benefits and i signed up for it and received them..., so i got rehired in sept. and since this new contract started i received a letter in the mail stating that my insurance was cancelled because of termination...

First question: where are you located? Do you know what supplemental contracts you are working under?

Under the National Master contract there is no such thing as a non-peak seasonal hire. And I think they changed the rules within the last couple contracts so that even Nov-Dec hires no longer have to be rehired in Jan and keep their Nov-Dec hire dates as their beginning date.

So, you are just an ordinary hire who has been on layoff because you're not needed. If you're not needed because the company is choosing to use seniority double shifters, too bad -- you have no right to the work until you make seniority.

So, you were hired 5/08 and have to work 30 days to make seniority. What I don't know is how many days you have to get in those 30 days. If/when you make seniority and any day before 8/1/08 counts towards your seniority I would think you would get benefits under the provisions of the pre 8/1/08 contract. Otherwise you have to wait a year. Sorry. I voted against the new contract partly because it screwed new hires...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Preload lady:

your supplement says you must work 30 working days in 90 consecutive days to gain seniority.

So from your hire date in 5/08, through the next 90 consecutive days, you must work 30 of those days to gain seniority. If you did not, then you remain a seasonal employee under the Central supplement.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Preload lady, The only seasonal hires in May to August are vacation replacement drivers in my area. The only inside seasonal hires are during peak, November & December.

Good luck in getting your insurance issues resolved.

evilleace

id say if you were seasonal youre screwed,
This is what I would say as I was seasonal in May also and got rehired September 5th. But I never had insurance since I was seasonal I am not sure but I dont think you should have had it either.

So if I was hired seasonal in May and then taken on permanent in Sep. I am missing out on seniority? I thought this was why they layed all seasonal off before rehire so that they could screw us out of bennies, raises, and seniority.

How would one find out FOR SURE if one was a seasonal vs. regular employee?

HR should have told you but in my building anything after Oct. 1 is seasonal.

First question: where are you located? Do you know what supplemental contracts you are working under?

Under the National Master contract there is no such thing as a non-peak seasonal hire. And I think they changed the rules within the last couple contracts so that even Nov-Dec hires no longer have to be rehired in Jan and keep their Nov-Dec hire dates as their beginning date.

So, you are just an ordinary hire who has been on layoff because you're not needed. If you're not needed because the company is choosing to use seniority double shifters, too bad -- you have no right to the work until you make seniority.

So, you were hired 5/08 and have to work 30 days to make seniority. What I don't know is how many days you have to get in those 30 days. If/when you make seniority and any day before 8/1/08 counts towards your seniority I would think you would get benefits under the provisions of the pre 8/1/08 contract. Otherwise you have to wait a year. Sorry. I voted against the new contract partly because it screwed new hires...

So should I as my steward if should have raises, more seniority, and bennies b/c I also started in May as "seasonal" and if there is no seasonal at this time of year UPS owes me alot. Also quick question I am 710 and I didn't get back pay from the time difference in the contract ratificaitons I thought it was because I was seasonal but should I have gotten a check. Also should I have a Union card yet I have been paying dues the whole time and have only got one that said I was payed through July but they took I have had dues taken every month so I think I should have a Union card? Thanks sorry for the questions in your thread pre-load lady.

Preload lady:

your supplement says you must work 30 working days in 90 consecutive days to gain seniority.

So from your hire date in 5/08, through the next 90 consecutive days, you must work 30 of those days to gain seniority. If you did not, then you remain a seasonal employee under the Central supplement.

i've worked everyday just about since 5/08 so if thats the case then i know i have my seniority...lol...but i guess it doesn't matter because they will go from my rehire date of 9/08 and since it's after the new contract, i'm just screwed out of the benefits that i did have...and as of 9/08 until now (minus these last 2 wks that i haven't worked)i know that i should have 30 days in but the supes are trying to tell me that i don't, oh well i guess...not much i can do about it