Don't make 'em like they used to

ol'browneye

What are some things that they just don't make like they used to?

My wife and I had to go purchase a new freezer yesterday. The one we had was an old Ben Hur chest type and it finally laid down and died. This thing was built like the proverbial shick brit house! My wife's grandmother bought it used in 1960. This thing was HEAVYYYY! I remember it took 4 of us to take it down the basement stairs. It was made of steel, no plastic, over 6' long and the sides were 3 1/2" thick. My brother has a gun safe that weighs 400# and this was much heavier. We got it across the basement using a dolly on each end. Then stood it on end, got two guys on the handle end of the dolly and 3 guys underneath, and push/pulled it up the stairs, one step at a time. We got it moved out by the garage so Lowe's can come back and get it. The two that delivered the new one were a 90# woman and a retired man, they weren't touching it! The new freezer is an upright and it is staying in the garage!

Yeah, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
They don't make Maytags like they used to, ever since Whirlpool bought them out and made them just as crappy as their own products.

Sammie

They don't make Maytags like they used to, ever since Whirlpool bought them out and made them just as crappy as their own products.

When my folks bought an appliance, that was it. One purchase. Now I replace toasters, dutch ovens, microwaves, flash lights, sprinkler heads and lawn trimmers like they're going out of style. We're on our 2nd set of kitchen and laundry appliances. And car batteries. Same thing. They're good for what, three years maybe? But the 2nd fridge in the basement from the '60's that belonged to my grandmother runs like a charm to this day. Amazing.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Harleys...used to be you had to have a little knowledge of how to work on them. You know, ride for a day wrench for a day. With the new ones the only wrenching you have to do is bolting on accessories. No more jokes about oil spots and hauling the bike in the pickup. They're about as reliable as rice burners. What is this world coming to?! Well, suppose I'll go get some more chome for my 07 Street Glide.:happy-very:

Big Babooba

I've noticed the same trend in female swimwear. In the old days you got your money's worth. Nowadays you pay top dollar for almost nothing!
beauties.jpg
3babes.jpg
But who am I to complain - I'm not female!:happy-very: