Don't put yourself in this situation.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The methods were recently changed to allow the driver to enter/exit through the driver's side door while making a delivery; however, the preferred method is to enter/exit through the passenger side door.
We are arguing this now because driver doesnt feel comfortable twisting to get into pkg car in the street where traffic is passing.......and ups backed off this......but my point is when sups are out with drivers they will say anything to get drivers in faster.....and that includes disregarding safety

....which could have been prevented with a proper walk around of the vehicle, especially knowing that there were kids playing fairly close by....
Sometimes it doesn't matter. The child still might not have been seen. A 5 year old is a lot smaller then a 7 to 10 year old. That 5 year old should have been watched. At least and I mean at least by some of his friends!! This never should have happened!! My prayers are out to everyone involved.

Savvy412

Im going to do a good 3 loud beeps when im leaving (with kids around). Maybe that would help? better then nothing.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ride alongs are hilarious because at first you do all the methods and invariably after an hour or so they are saying " you really don't have to do that." i know it's coming when you see them check their watches every couple minutes.

this company is full of hypocrites. " do what I say not as I do."

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Sup in my center told driver he not allowed.....he has to take the shortest distance getting into the pkg car......he said it's in the 340 methods.......driver wanted to get in to pkg car from passenger side on the sidewalk sup told him he had to get in on drivers side in street

Safety always trumps speed where there's any question. It's your judgement that determines your personal safety in traffic. If your PC has not been in your line of sight 100% of the time, (which is usually never) you have the responsibility to determine whether or not to walk around and whether or not to look under it based on each stop. If you're pressured into getting in on the driver side, be sure to open that slider until it fully locks back and then fully close it. For safety. And, you can always look under from the drivers side as well.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
after i took a nap one time i did a walk around to wake up and check things and this homeless guy was trying to climb up on top of the trailer going from the dolly between the trailers wanting to hitch a ride.

if i had been a minute later he would have been lying on top of the trailer.

am i supposed to climb on top of every trailer before i leave ?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
after i took a nap one time i did a walk around to wake up and check things and this homeless guy was trying to climb up on top of the trailer going from the dolly between the trailers wanting to hitch a ride.

if i had been a minute later he would have been lying on top of the trailer.

am i supposed to climb on top of every trailer before i leave ?
Sure you did. Your stories seem to mimic others posts. Shocking.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Im going to do a good 3 loud beeps when im leaving (with kids around). Maybe that would help? better then nothing.
We are arguing this now because driver doesnt feel comfortable twisting to get into pkg car in the street where traffic is passing.......and ups backed off this......but my point is when sups are out with drivers they will say anything to get drivers in faster.....and that includes disregarding safety
Absolutely they will.
In cases like this, follow the methods and do what is safe and comfortable for the individual.

Awareness of your surroundings prevents most of these accidents. Count kids and if you feel unsure, get out and look before pulling away.

And yes Dave , fatigue and heat can clearly cloud your perception, reflexes and judgement. Come down and work in south Florida heat and humidity and rain for summer and see if your statements change on that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is why you do not worry about production, or harassment because of it.

This is not factored into any time study, which is why they dont matter, nor are recognized by our union.

When there are kids around, I assume they are unsupervised. I count them, I tell them to get away, I chase them off my bumper, and get yelled at by people who are suddenly paying attention. Dont yell at my kids, I have heard more than once. If there is an adult present, I ask, if it is clear. I walk around it I look under as I walk back, if there is a kid missing, I walk around again. I try to find out where the missing kid is.

My prayers of comfort to all involved.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
This is why you do not worry about production, or harassment because of it.

This is not factored into any time study, which is why they dont matter, nor are recognized by our union.

When there are kids around, I assume they are unsupervised. I count them, I tell them to get away, I chase them off my bumper, and get yelled at by people who are suddenly paying attention. Dont yell at my kids, I have heard more than once. If there is an adult present, I ask, if it is clear. I walk around it I look under as I walk back, if there is a kid missing, I walk around again. I try to find out where the missing kid is.

My prayers of comfort to all involved.
This what new drivers need to learn. Production is far down the list of what's important as a driver. Safety of yourself and the public is absolute first.

Their numbers are their issue. The only number I care about is 0. That the number of accidents or injuries I will cause to myself or the public every day.