Don't vote yes unless UPS pays you $1000.00

Asskicker

Latest contract news...Local 89 is recommending a No Vote on the contract and the Air Rider which covers Worldport, the company's worldwide air hub.So the company is offering a one-time $1,000 bonus for all 9,300 UPS Teamsters in Lousiville. $9.3 million sounds like a costly bribe, but to UPS this is chump change to sell a cheap contract.
Management's Cover Story
Local 89 has demanded, in line with the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, that workers be paid for the time waiting for UPS's shuttle and travel on it.
In today's PCM, managers read a script which states that the $1,000 is "payable to all Local 89-represented employees who are eligible to vote on the contract," and they call it a "Shuttle Incentive."

So don't you vote yes unless they offer you an incentive either. IN SOLIDARITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asskicker

​[h=1]UPS and UPS Freight — FAQs: How the Contract Vote Works[/h]
In your working life at UPS or UPS Freight, you may get five or six chances to vote on a contract, and improve your working conditions and benefits. This is one of them – take advantage of it!
Who Votes? All union members on the UPS or UPS Freight seniority list will be mailed a ballot at the end of May on the contract. At UPS Freight, there is just one national vote. At UPS Package, all Teamsters get at least two, and in many cases three separate votes: on the national contract, on your regional or local supplement, and on a rider (for some areas).

• In "right to work" states, nonmembers do not get to vote.
  • The vote is by majority rule, among those voting. If you don't vote, you don't count.
  • If you don't get a ballot, you can request a duplicate.
  • It is a secret ballot; your ballot goes into a secret ballot envelope, then into a pre-paid return envelope.
Who counts the votes? The count will have an independent agent in charge, hired by the IBT. Due to past legal action, observers (members) not beholden to the Hoffa administration will be present. The unopened ballots will first be sorted by Local Union (there is a local union notation on the envelope), and the count will be then done separately for each local. The count will begin on or about June 20 for UPS Package.
What if the contract is voted down? The IBT and UPS will return to bargaining, to negotiate a contact acceptable to members. This is not a strike vote; it is a vote on accepting or rejecting the contract, by majority rule.

UPS Preloader

Latest contract news...Local 89 is recommending a No Vote on the contract and the Air Rider which covers Worldport, the company's worldwide air hub.So the company is offering a one-time $1,000 bonus for all 9,300 UPS Teamsters in Lousiville. $9.3 million sounds like a costly bribe, but to UPS this is chump change to sell a cheap contract.
Management's Cover Story
Local 89 has demanded, in line with the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, that workers be paid for the time waiting for UPS's shuttle and travel on it.
In today's PCM, managers read a script which states that the $1,000 is "payable to all Local 89-represented employees who are eligible to vote on the contract," and they call it a "Shuttle Incentive."

So don't you vote yes unless they offer you an incentive either. IN SOLIDARITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not in that local, but I wouldn't sell out for $1,000. Besides, it's not like you're going to get one big check. I heard they are going to pay it out at $20.0 per week.

Asskicker

I said that in jest. My point being they can't make special deals to certain groups of people. I agree. My vote isn't worth any bribe money. My name isn't HOFFA.

balland chain

Amen Brother, that is what it is all about,, Standing together as one, looking out for all, and not just ones self.. Great post... We need more like you !!Thanks

Shooter

I worked for the auto workers years ago when the company tried to bribe people for a contract ....they shot that puppy down and when they went back to the table they ask for and got what they wanted in the first place and added they wanted the 1000.00 dollar too and got it .......that 1000.00 dollars is a double edged sword ,it's ok if it works but if it don't, it can come back and bite you in the ass

beentheredonethat

I worked for the auto workers years ago when the company tried to bribe people for a contract ....they shot that puppy down and when they went back to the table they ask for and got what they wanted in the first place and added they wanted the 1000.00 dollar too and got it .......that 1000.00 dollars is a double edged sword ,it's ok if it works but if it don't, it can come back and bite you in the ass

Oh, I thought you meant the double edged sword is how the UAW helped to bleed the U.S. Auto industry to the point where they are today and had to lay off thousands of employees. It's not the only reason, the cars were for a great while, poor quality with poor fuel efficiency and the designs weren't good.

cb1969

I'm not in local 89 and I haven't been offered a bribe to vote yes on this crappy contract. But a $1000. to only the people that can vote and only to that local sounds like a strike in the making. A $1000. for what you give up and the next contracts are not going to be better only worse till we strike and get back half of what we lose. Just say NO NOW and make them both look STUPID and come back to us with a proper agreement fitting the record profits off of are backs!!