Don't Work Harder Because It Is Peak

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
I'm not moving a fraction of a second faster than my usual rate. As a driver once told me: "don't have a heart attack working for this stupid place"

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
We were all, at one time, the new guy who busted his behind only to be sent to help.

I never blamed the guys I helped. Management knows how much each driver can handle. They will purposely send the slower driver out with too much work, knowing the faster driver will have to bail him out. Then they can blame the overdispatching on the slower driver.

It's about time the runners wake up and realize who is actually bending them over.
It's funny, you say we were all the new guy who was always sent to help at one point. The person I mentioned WAS the freaking new guy and I was the one 4 years in. Yet time after time this same guy always needs help. I understand that they load you up good some days but needing help every day is ridiculous. Made me wonder how the hell this guy qualified.

Anyhow, for me it's not management pitting me against anyone. I just refuse to continually help dudes who I know for a fact are out milking the clock and talking to every single customer on the route wasting time. You wanna do that, fine. Just don't send me out to pick up that guys slack when he falls behind.

Pooter

Spoilers

I'm not Jesus. I can't make miracles with the route.

I put in more effort during peak to get stuff done but I'm not killing myself either.

Keenj

I have no pity for the customers who wait til the last possible second to order Christmas gifts. I'll work at a steady safe pace and if I'm told to ECD everything I can't deliver on the 23rd when my DOT hours run out, that's their own fault.

Dr.Brownz

Funny thing, the same thing happened to me. Except instead of turning into one of the better drivers, he got :censored2: at me instead lol. I show up at 9pm to help this guy and there's already another driver there with this disgruntled look on his face taking packages from him. I pull up and go 'dude, this is the third day in a row that I have to help you, wtf?'. He goes don't blame me, blame management for giving me too much stuff. I inform him that he has a split route I did for a half a year two years ago and never needed help with the same amount of stops. At that point he gets mad and only gives me 7 stops to help with and says 'dont need anything else from you, have a nice night'. I do the 7 stops then return to the center and they're like 'that was fast, how many stops did you take? I let them know everything that happened and then told them I'm not going back out to take more, so don't bother. Next day I was told he came back that night and threw a fit and asked never to be helped by me again. I was like 'yes! Problem solved!'.

I bet you are the greatest UPS driver on the face of the earth

Jondlc

I know its not peak yet but I just started a week ago. By myself since this past Tuesday. They're not telling me if Im late or early or anything but I feel like im coming back on time. The first day I wen't out with 40 stops and I came back to the building around 12ish. Wednesday I came back around 1 ish with 55 and yesterday was weird because I had 2 towns in my truck, 110 stops, some packages had the wrong sticker number on them (they told me about it and just told me to do my best) around 6 extra stops were brought to me around 2pm and I delivered 3 stops that werent on my DIAD so I came back around 5ish. Is this good timing? I know if theyre not saying anything I shouldn't be worried, but it would be good if they at least let me know if Ive been doing a good job according to their standards. I m hired as a full time driver and I would like to be kept after peak.

Keenj

I know its not peak yet but I just started a week ago. By myself since this past Tuesday. They're not telling me if Im late or early or anything but I feel like im coming back on time. The first day I wen't out with 40 stops and I came back to the building around 12ish. Wednesday I came back around 1 ish with 55 and yesterday was weird because I had 2 towns in my truck, 110 stops, some packages had the wrong sticker number on them (they told me about it and just told me to do my best) around 6 extra stops were brought to me around 2pm and I delivered 3 stops that werent on my DIAD so I came back around 5ish. Is this good timing? I know if theyre not saying anything I shouldn't be worried, but it would be good if they at least let me know if Ive been doing a good job according to their standards. I m hired as a full time driver and I would like to be kept after peak.

After your 3 days with a sup, you're pretty much on your own. The company only cares about getting packages delivered during peak. Your chances of being kept on after peak are rather slim since you're an off the street hire. But you might get lucky. Just work at a steady pace, don't complain once you start getting slammed after Thanksgiving, don't get hurt on the job or have an accident.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A few years ago I was "asked" to go help a new driver three separate times in the same week. When I caught up to him on the 3rd my frustration got the best of me and I let him know in no uncertain words how I felt about having to bail him out.

He is now one of our better young drivers.
What.. Now he's running all day like his grandpa Dave....you think some of you old timers would have stopped drinking the corporate cool aid years ago. It's sad to watch you guys try to keep up with a 23 year old just so nobody calls you "slow"...even though you are wearing a half dozen braces and limping in and out of the building on a daily basis...sad

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What.. Now he's running all day like his grandpa Dave....you think some of you old timers would have stopped drinking the corporate cool aid years ago. It's sad to watch you guys try to keep up with a 23 year old just so nobody calls you "slow"...even though you are wearing a half dozen braces and limping in and out of the building on a daily basis...sad

There is a 27 year old kid that covers my route when I am off. He has a hard time keeping up.

No braces or limping here.

Grey

Peak is the worst especially for cover drivers. That feeling when it's dark and you have 60 stops left in crapville. Not looking forward to it again.