Dont you just love residential deliveries?

SmithBarney

Always loved delivering to the "adult" shop on my route.

the girls would always be yelling "our toys are here"

Of course the Girls shopping for Bacholorette parties
always seemed to think, I was just an actor for the parties..
asking how much I was...
"How much for the UPS guy"

DS

Fenderbender
How about deliveries to apartments when you buzz up and they say,I`ll be right down...quickly before they finnish I yell NO! I`ll bring it up,I`d be out till midnight if I did this for every apartment.
Rich or poor...people for the most part just dont have a clue.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I too am sick of hearing people ask...What is it? I'm thinking of carrying a boxknife with me on every stop and when people ask me that question I'll start slicing boxes open and see what people are ordering...

browniehound

How about deliveries to apartments when you buzz up and they say,I`ll be right down...quickly before they finnish I yell NO! I`ll bring it up,I`d be out till midnight if I did this for every apartment.

Now with the new DR policy with apartments, if a customer says "I'll be right down", I just leave it at the front door as Met Customer Woman. The good Lord knows it takes someone who sits at home all day 5 minutes to walk down a flight of stairs.:confused:1

Sammie

When we had our own phone centers....the calls we got from
folks who lived in apartments were some of the worst. Poor communications between apt mgrs and the residents...and this was often blamed on us...:ohmy: Nothing you drivers can do about it, but a comedy of errors going on there and many returned pkgs because people get home after the apt office closes, or they're never told they had a delivery in the first place...lotsa messes...:sad:

My co workers and I often wondered if the general public has a tendency to act up more over the phone than in person with
a driver when things go wrong.... We sometimes got the "screamers" on the phone who came close to giving themselves a stroke.... And I just can't see them acting that way face to face with someone...:bored: Who knows...

I remember the one guy who worked himself into a lather because "I was holding his package hostage"... Repeated delivery attempts at the guy's house while he was always at work and a C.O.D. at that. No money, no package.... Ah, the good old days...

DS

Fenderbender
I remember the one guy who worked himself into a lather because "I was holding his package hostage"... Repeated delivery attempts at the guy's house while he was always at work and a C.O.D. at that. No money, no package.... Ah, the good old days...
Sammie
The good old days are still here in Canada,
and every time someone buys something from the US
on ebay or whatever,ups slaps a COD brokerage charge on it
and we hold the pkg hostage till they pay it.
we still take cash here too,or credit card or checks...
I get at least 10 COD`s a day...on the other hand,sometimes
they involve tips:thumbup1:

jlphotog

I thought this was a good one.

Yesterday at a ressi, I left an info notice stating there was a brokerage c.o.d. amount of $19.97 due. Today I go back to the same ressi and that info notice was on the mail box. My first thought was he left a cheque. Nope nothing there. I took the info notice off the mail box and saw this guy had added a check to the "sign to have package delivered" box. And he signed the back. All in a different colour pen that what used.

When I stopped laughing, I rang the door bell. He answered the door and I explained the brokerage c.o.d. must be paid before the package can be released to him. He then says to me that he knows the brokerage charges are the responsibility of the shipper. I told him no the receiver is responsible for all importing charges. He finally went to get the money and brings back a twenty. He then asks me if I have change. When I said no, he went back inside and grabbed a credit card.

What a tool.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if his credit card bounces.

helenofcalifornia

I can't believe you still take cash!!! I remember pockets full of cash and change in the past and was way cool with the new plan of checks only. I can't believe you guys still do cash. Your drivers must be way more honest than ours. Remember all the stories of the drivers who kept the money for a month, juggling COD's why they loan sharked the money or paid bills? (OK, not that many, but it seems each center has at least one story.)

DS

Fenderbender
NO!

First of all I don't carry any cash of my own while working. And second , even if I did I would not make change out of my pocket. Why would I want to give UPS any of my money?
man,Ive been in the same area 17 years.I`ve learned that in order to get the job done I need to try hard to get along well with everyone I have to deal with,even at my resi`s.I find it pays off in the future because usually its the same folks all the time. Why dont you carry cash? no timmys in your area?

I have a system,left pocket ups money
right pocket my money
left breast pocket cheques and cod reciepts
right breast pocket info notices and gum
You sound jaded,are you jaded?
its only 3 cents,how much do they give you
every week?I just dont understand .

DS

Fenderbender
I can't believe you still take cash!!! I remember pockets full of cash and change in the past and was way cool with the new plan of checks only. I can't believe you guys still do cash. Your drivers must be way more honest than ours. Remember all the stories of the drivers who kept the money for a month, juggling COD's why they loan sharked the money or paid bills? (OK, not that many, but it seems each center has at least one story.)
They keep a close eye on all irregularties here Helen.
We had a driver that was making them nm1`s 2`s and using the money and putting it back every friday...they fired him.
He got his job back but not after they put him through hell.

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
I was delivering to a to a wealthy house a few years ago. The city residential deliveries are all driver release but this package needed a signature so I rang the door bell and the wife/mom of the house answers the door very upbeat and good natured she sees me and asks "oh what is it? You know it's my birthday! " I said " I don't know". she said "I wonder what it could be" I finally looked at the return address and was able to figure out it was a TIVO so I said "sign here" she did and I said " I belive it is a new TIVO box happy birthday" not a second after I said that her smile turned to a frown and she said "Oh why did you tell me!" I said "sorry" as I turned and ran off. I could hear her tell someone behind her who had come to the door "he ruined my surprise......" I thought WTF she asked me. I laughed it off and forgot about the incident. About a week later I was delivering to a beauty salon in the neighborhood. I walked through the salon to the back and placed the package where I always do. As I walked back through I happen to hear a lady comment to her manicurist thinking I couldn't hear "you know I recieved a UPS box the other day and the driver ruined my birthday surprise from my husband....." I turned and glared at her I continued walking . I don't even think she knew I was the same driver.

W

WTF

My standard reply is "You realize if I was psychic I would'nt have to shag cardboard boxes for a living, my name would be on the strip in neon !" Sometimes that doesn't go over to well so next comes "only joking, I hate Vegas, someone sent you a gift, check it out !" that alwalys works... The next time I roll up I hold the box up to my head a say "I got it, I got it, its a cardboard box, and that means I'm half way to Vegas, YES!" and then close with the politest Thank You I can muster.....but your customers have to love you, and you've always have to be happy go lucky or your sure to get a complaint........or two..

Sammie

I was delivering to a to a wealthy house a few years ago. The city residential deliveries are all driver release but this package needed a signature so I rang the door bell and the wife/mom of the house answers the door very upbeat and good natured she sees me and asks "oh what is it? You know it's my birthday! " I said " I don't know". she said "I wonder what it could be" I finally looked at the return address and was able to figure out it was a TIVO so I said "sign here" she did and I said " I belive it is a new TIVO box happy birthday" not a second after I said that her smile turned to a frown and she said "Oh why did you tell me!" I said "sorry" as I turned and ran off. I could hear her tell someone behind her who had come to the door "he ruined my surprise......" I thought WTF she asked me. I laughed it off and forgot about the incident. About a week later I was delivering to a beauty salon in the neighborhood. I walked through the salon to the back and placed the package where I always do. As I walked back through I happen to hear a lady comment to her manicurist thinking I couldn't hear "you know I recieved a UPS box the other day and the driver ruined my birthday surprise from my husband....." I turned and glared at her I continued walking . I don't even think she knew I was the same driver.

Hey, she's the plebe and YOU rule, Dave...:thumbup1:

And many thanks, Al Gore, for the ability you have provided us to share, in a mere moment, our thoughts and comments with our Canadian brothers who are a little over a mere thousand miles away... :tongue_sm

hoser

Industrial Slob
if you sit on a plane beside someone chatty and you want quiet, do you
a) continue talking to them
b) put on your headphones and read a book

you seem to prefer doing a). you get into stupidly long conversations because you encourage them to keep talking. try b) out.

here's how i do it:

:delivery for Linda Stevens?
>yeah that's me what is it?
:it's from **RECIPIENT** sign here please
>oh i don't remember ordering anything
:*silence and blank stare while extending the DIAD*
>*sign* thanks!
:you're welcome, have a good night.

being in control. nifty little trick eh?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
had to deliver the palm to st. mary's years ago, fr.o'malley asked me what is it?? and who's it from??? i smiled and said it's flowers from THE BOSS !!! he laughed his holy but off!!

rockymtnupser

rockymtnupser
I cant even tell you how many time i get asked "which end do I use" (stylist). I always reply the pointy end. They reply they are both pointy. a ha.

jlphotog

DS

"You sound jaded,are you jaded?"

From dictionary.com

jad·ed
–noun
1. a worn-out, broken-down, worthless, or vicious horse.
2. a disreputable or ill-tempered woman.

Nope I'm neither of those.

"its only 3 cents, how much do they give you
every week? I just don't understand."

Let me explain my thinking on this. It's 3 cents today, 20 cents tomorrow and so on. It all adds up.

How much do they give me every week? I assume by "they" you mean UPS. Well, UPS does not give me anything. I work very hard for every penny I take home every week.

DS

Fenderbender
.to make or become dull, worn-out, or weary, as from overwork or overuse.
hey man you sound pissed off at ups you dont have to justify 3 cents or 20 cents...its all about making people happy...
maybe you should be in some other business...