Doorman business on the last shark tank.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I watch shark tank on Friday nights at 9:00 and this one had a man who started Doorman only in San Francisco. He charges someone starting at $3.99 a package to ship whatever you buy to his warehouse and from there you set the delivery time. He was mainly delivering at night or when it was convenient for you. As an example he had a dummy door with notes plastered on it. One of the sharks actually invested in it. More cities to follow as he grows. Deliveries were made by personal vehicles. Any comments?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like an entrepreneur taking advantage of a business opportunity.

Our local MBE charges $5/package for non-box holders to have their shipments sent there.

BTW, "Mr. Wonderful" is not so wonderful IMO.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I watch shark tank on Friday nights at 9:00 and this one had a man who started Doorman only in San Francisco. He charges someone starting at $3.99 a package to ship whatever you buy to his warehouse and from there you set the delivery time. He was mainly delivering at night or when it was convenient for you. As an example he had a dummy door with notes plastered on it. One of the sharks actually invested in it. More cities to follow as he grows. Deliveries were made by personal vehicles. Any comments?
If he's using a personal vehicle to make deliveries, that'll end quickly when he gets in his first fender bender. The personal auto policy forbids any IVERY. del-ivery, L-ivery (taxi, etc) and policy would be canceled.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He will find out about DOT regulations and requirements that will force him out of business.

Why? The packages have reached the final destination on the shipping label (his warehouse) and he is simply offering an additional service to his customers, much like Papa John's offering delivery rather than requiring carry out only. Last time I checked my son did not have a DOT placard on the side of his Saturn.

BrownTexas

Not a bad idea. I don't see it really catching too much steam though. This is something we already offer. All we have to do is make it cheaper than his service and advertise it more. But it does show the true American story. People are too lazy to have their package go someplace they know they will be able to get it, so pay someone else to do it for you.

PT Car Washer

Why? The packages have reached the final destination on the shipping label (his warehouse) and he is simply offering an additional service to his customers, much like Papa John's offering delivery rather than requiring carry out only. Last time I checked my son did not have a DOT placard on the side of his Saturn.
I had a delivery for Poppajohn one Saturday. He was the only one in the office that I could see and signed for his own delivery.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sound like Lasership to me. Saw some shady looking guy in a 15 year old minivan throw a package out of his window the other day. At least I have to get out of my seat to toss the package between garage bays.

Packmule

I can see this working well for wine shippers and things that require signatures. Otherwise, much of our business these days is partly sold on the free shipping offered by the shippers. This guy would have to compete with that.

clean hairy

Will have to watch the episode, but just from what is posted here, could be a niche for his business.
After all, there is a niche for Uber when the Public can use established Taxi companies.
Interesting concept, though, will have to see long term if it pans out.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He would be a business using his vehicle for commercial purposes making a delivery...It's just like us. We don't need CDLs but vehicle still has to have commercial plates and special rules apply.

upschuck

I saw that episode also, don’t we offer similar service with ups my choice
He said he offers times in two hours increments through midnight, and the customer decides when it gets delivered for $3.99/box. Mychoice is a sorry replica of that, maybe one day, but not now.

AKCoverMan

I think regulators would take the view that this guy is furthering the transportation of a shipment and since many of these shipments originate in another state it triggers Federal jurisdiction.

Not saying it's not a good niche business with the rise of e-commerce especially in areas where can't easily DR shipments. But not as easy to (legally) set up and start up as may sound.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I think regulators would take the view that this guy is furthering the transportation of a shipment and since many of these shipments originate in another state it triggers Federal jurisdiction.

Not saying it's not a good niche business with the rise of e-commerce especially in areas where can't easily DR shipments. But not as easy to (legally) set up and start up as may sound.
Good point.