Dot card

I have the "white coat" blood pressure reading and was given a 1 year dot card, can you be issued a dot card with that reading? Need to on medication? Need your own doctor to establish the medication is working??

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
If medication will get your pressure down to the normal range, you will get a card, but it will not be a 2 year card.

Currently, about 50% of UPSers are working with some type of restricted DOT card. Most of those are for high BP. I used to be part of that 50%, but I lost some weight, exercise a little and eat just a little bit smarter and now my BP is in the 'healthy' range and I have a 2 year DOT card.

Z

ZQXC

I have the "white coat" blood pressure reading and was given a 1 year dot card, can you be issued a dot card with that reading? Need to on medication? Need your own doctor to establish the medication is working??

Sent using BrownCafe App

You were probably in the 140-160 range; any higher and you would be required to lower it with meds before a new card was issued. Do you remember the reading?

Z

ZQXC

Sounds like the doc cut you some slack with the only penalty being a one year card; he could have chosen to play hard ball.

over9five

Staff member
50%? Really?

Welcome to America. I often wonder if all these medicines are really necessary, or they're drugging us up for some other more clandestine reason....

<Today's Conspiracy Theory brought to you by Over9five. Over9fives theories are his and his alone, and do not reflect the opinion of BrownCafe staff or management>

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Welcome to America. I often wonder if all these medicines are really necessary, or they're drugging us up for some other more clandestine reason....

<Today's Conspiracy Theory brought to you by Over9five. Over9fives theories are his and his alone, and do not reflect the opinion of BrownCafe staff or management>

One of my former sisters in law carried her own personal pharmacy in her purse.

Z

ZQXC

They want to fondle you while you are in a drug induced stupor.
You don't even want to know about Phase 2....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sounds like the doc cut you some slack with the only penalty being a one year card; he could have chosen to play hard ball.
You can't deny a dot card just because. His BP is in the 1 year range. Therefore got a 1 year card.

barnyard

KTM rider
You can't deny a dot card just because. His BP is in the 1 year range. Therefore got a 1 year card.

My DOT doc wanted to give me a 1 year card when I got off meds to show a history of lowered BP. I take my BP regularly and write down the date and results. I showed them to him and he asked what time of day I took it and where I got the cuff. He said that if I came back in 2 years with high BP that UPS would complain about having given me a 2 year card so soon after quitting the meds.

The Doctors do have very specific guidelines to follow when issuing DOT cards. If they do not follow the guidelines, they could find themselves no longer doing DOT physicals.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My DOT doc wanted to give me a 1 year card when I got off meds to show a history of lowered BP. I take my BP regularly and write down the date and results. I showed them to him and he asked what time of day I took it and where I got the cuff. He said that if I came back in 2 years with high BP that UPS would complain about having given me a 2 year card so soon after quitting the meds.

The Doctors do have very specific guidelines to follow when issuing DOT cards. If they do not follow the guidelines, they could find themselves no longer doing DOT physicals.
We do have very strict doctors that ups makes us go to.

My friends BP is high enough that he shouldn't have a DOT card at all but the doctor has passed him for years.