DOT hours

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ismaili, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ismaili

ismaili New Member

I work part time for UPS and I was looking to have a second job. This is not a delivery job but it requires a lot of driving. Do DOT rules apply to this job. and for a place to find the DOT rules.
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Without being too specific what is the new job?
  3. ismaili

ismaili New Member

Delivering patient files to hospitals
  4. Unless you're a driver then no.
  5. ajblakejr

ajblakejr Age quod agis

If your driving job requires you to hold a CDL, it is your responsiblity to report your UPS hours to your employer.
  6. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I don't know the law off the top of my head, although I'd take AJ's word as gold. But, I would think, the intent of the law was to ensure someone holding a driving position has enough rest to safely navigate the roadway.
  7. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

all paid hrs are dot hrs regardless of driving or not.( if cdl holder )
  8. stoni24

stoni24 New Member

All hours worked between the 2 jobs counts(which I don't)
  9. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

If either of your jobs requires you to have a dot medical card all your hours of work count unless you are volunteering your time and not getting paid.
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

It sounds as though you can keep both the PT job and accept the FT job without worrying about DOT hours.
  11. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

12. MissedBusiness

MissedBusiness NotReallyAMember

Don't tell anyone about it an u have no worries dude.
  13. 'Lord Brown's bidding'

'Lord Brown's bidding' Well-Known Member

I appreciated the clarification above: holders of a DOT card as well as those with a CDL are subject to the DOT hrs limit. Most package car drivers don't have a CDL, but we all are subject to the DOT limits.
  14. Butters243

Butters243 Member

I agree with MissedBusiness. Technically, your hours worked at the other job should be logged as "on-duty not driving hours" since you were working... but since you operate a non DOT vehicle (your car) it doesn't count toward driving hours.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

It's very simple--if your PT job at UPS does not involve driving then you can work wherever you want outside of UPS.
  16. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

NO, if your other job involves interstate or intrastate commerce and falls under the control of the DOT then all hours worked, whether for UPS or the other employer count toward "on-duty" time. Also from the time you start whichever job after midnite to what time you finish the second job count towards the 14hr rule.
    This is only if the second job involving driving falls under regulation by the DOT.

Now whatever you do is your own business, but if you get into some sort of major accident then all the investigators come out and you could be, "In a heap o'trouble boy".

Hint: If the other employer provides the vehicle and it has a DOT number on it then it falls under the DOT regulations.
  17. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

That's why pre-loaders/casuals have to be wary of the 10 rule?
  18. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

19. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream

I would be wary anyways. If your other job requires you to have a DOT card then all hours worked applies. Or vice versa if you're an air driver at UPS. Gotta be careful. Also DOT is 60 maximum a week. Also, if you work another job during the week and need your 34 hour reset, any time no matter at one company or the other, worked counts against your reset. Be wary of these rules because YOU pay the fine...not UPS.
  20. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Active Member

Honestly, unless you have an accident, you will not get caught if you violate the 60 rule between two jobs. Neither employer is responsible, it is all on you.

If God forbid you were to have an accident due to fatigue and cause harm to somebody, you would be screwed.