DOT hours

Theoneandonly24

So peak season is around the corner and when do you start counting DOT hours for that day? Do you start counting them at start time or when your actually behind he wheel which could be sometimes 20-30 minutes after start time? And do you count lunch? Thanks

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
You count from your start time until you punch out. You don't include your lunch. Yes, start counting.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
I check my hours daily, and keep my own personal log book. When I return to the building I have OMS check my time-card to make sure it's accurate, and to laugh at the over/under. If I was out from 8:30 until 6:30 with an hour lunch, it only reports me working 9 hours. That tells me that lunch is not counted towards your DOT hours.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I check my hours daily, and keep my own personal log book. When I return to the building I have OMS check my time-card to make sure it's accurate, and to laugh at the over/under. If I was out from 8:30 until 6:30 with an hour lunch, it only reports me working 9 hours. That tells me that lunch is not counted towards your DOT hours.
DOT hours and paid hours are different. You do not get paid for taking a required DOT mandated lunch, but that time counts towards your daily DOT hours. You need to read up on your DOT regulations because if you violate DOT then YOU pay the fine.

over9five

Staff member
I think you guys are both right, but you're thinking of different things.

Your 14 hours is PUNCH TO PUNCH. It doesn't matter if you take lunch or not.
Lunch (and breaks, really) do not count towards your ON DUTY TIME.

over9five

Staff member
Also you can not punch in before your ten hours off of duty time is up. I've seen them hide DIADs from drivers so that don't actually violate DOT rules.

True. Technically, we can't work the next day if we go over 14 because we are not allowed to change our start time. (Your building MAY allow that, I suppose)

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Ok, since my other example is obviously not clear, go out and work 15hrs and take an hour lunch. Lets see who gets a warning letter and possible fine.